GEN 1 Both front calipers need replacing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheel just won't spin freely. Doesn't drag real badly but, in neutral, started, spins about 1/4 rotation. Put a clamp on pads to pull in and spins. Checked bleeder and barely dribbles out so not line pressure problem. Guessing the piston just won't retract enough. Everything is clean. Slide pins are fine, regreased slider plates and cleaned/checked/greased piston seal.

Can't believe they could fail after only 90k miles. Most of the trucks life has been street and sitting. I've been off work sitting at home for 5 out of the 10 years of its life. I have a feeling all this salt thats used here is causing more problems then just rust. Not sure how it could get into a caliper though without fluid leaking.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How do you know it's not the brake lines? Odd that both calipers are seizing at the same time, but it would be odd for both brake lines as well. Mine are still original after just over 150,000 miles, but I have S/S lines on mine. Have you ever flushed the brake system? I woud get new calipers, paint them pretty like and new brake lines, if problem persist ask @FordTechOne , lol.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Could have rust built up on the caliper piston causing it to stick on the seal while retracting into the caliper housing. Have you taken the calipers off and checked the wheel bearings?

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know it's not the brake lines? Odd that both calipers are seizing at the same time, but it would be odd for both brake lines as well. Mine are still original after just over 150,000 miles, but I have S/S lines on mine. Have you ever flushed the brake system? I woud get new calipers, paint them pretty like and new brake lines, if problem persist ask @FordTechOne , lol.
True. Could use a flush I bet. The trick is if the bleeder doesn't trickle and some what shoots fluid meaning line pressure holding piston. Mine just trickles. Just seems odd there's nothing you can do except rebuild or replace.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could have rust built up on the caliper piston causing it to stick on the seal while retracting into the caliper housing. Have you taken the calipers off and checked the wheel bearings?
Took apart and cleaned multiple times. No rust and piston seals look good. I assume if the bore has rust/corrosion it would be leaking. Spins fine when pistons manually retracted.