GEN 1 Both front calipers need replacing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I was always taught to have someone hold the pedal while bleeding the brakes. Unless you have a vacuum pump.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Yea, my brain had a hiccup while processing the opening of the bleeder and letting fluid trickle out.

Sounds like you are going to need to replace some calipers.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget, and I learned this from @FordTechOne , use a turkey baster to suck all the old fluid out of your master cylinder first and then add new fluid before bleeding these brakes or flushing.

Also, as I mentioned before, I am still on my original front calipers, but both of my rears seized on me around 100,000 miles. Shiit happens, don't feel bad, I mean you could be maintaining @The Car Stereo Company brakes (4 TIMES, LOL).

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because your calipers failed in 90k does not tell me much. The truck at newest is 8 years old. I replace my brake fluid ever 2 years due to the water absorbing properties of brake fluid. On my track car every year. It is not uncommon for calipers to rust based on zero maintenance so unless you include what you have done.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because your calipers failed in 90k does not tell me much. The truck at newest is 8 years old. I replace my brake fluid ever 2 years due to the water absorbing properties of brake fluid. On my track car every year. It is not uncommon for calipers to rust based on zero maintenance so unless you include what you have done.
Damn. Thats exactly what makuloco mentions here. Wish I had known that earlier.

M60gunr

Reaction score
Wheel just won't spin freely. Doesn't drag real badly but, in neutral, started, spins about 1/4 rotation. Put a clamp on pads to pull in and spins. Checked bleeder and barely dribbles out so not line pressure problem. Guessing the piston just won't retract enough. Everything is clean. Slide pins are fine, regreased slider plates and cleaned/checked/greased piston seal.

Can't believe they could fail after only 90k miles. Most of the trucks life has been street and sitting. I've been off work sitting at home for 5 out of the 10 years of its life. I have a feeling all this salt thats used here is causing more problems then just rust. Not sure how it could get into a caliper though without fluid leaking.
If you are looking to replace your calipers, I highly recommend Power Stop. I just upgraded all 4 rotors with their drilled / slotted totors and pads. Amazing difference. I'm at 92,000 now, so once mine are in need of replacing that is what I will be going with. Quite a bit cheaper than Brembo.