2017 Engine replaced, same issue again. Lengthy write-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
raisins

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jasper probably still does them. When my 5.4L died (cam chain tensioner seal blew starving the top end) they used a Jasper engine which IMO is a better built engine. They used their own US sources graphite coated pistons and oil pump with a steel backing plate. Apparently the OEM pump had an aluminum backing plate that would flex away at high rpm and dump oil pressure off.

I ran the **** out of that 5.4L, 5 minute full throttle runs up 6% grades with 10k in tow, off-roading, etc. Never an issue.

Wish I would’ve kept it. My engine needs a replacement, same as OP. It won’t be covered due to the Whipple tune unless I can prove defective “XYZ.” Two buddies have these trucks and BOTH have mechanical noise at startup, rough idle from cams being out of sync.

I need a truck though, may be time for a Toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your story is also the same reason why I wish I kept my Gen 1 and repaired what was needed. It's a shame because I LOVE the Gen 2, styling, creature comforts, performance, etc. Is there any way you can ask Ford to prove how the tune caused a failure when there are guys like me who have completely stock trucks that are experiencing the same issue? I hope everything gets sorted out for you

OP
OP
raisins

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think these engines are pretty much at their MAX for durability and reliability with the stock Ford Tune. I think FP wanted to have a power package tune but was probably running into reliability issues hence they discontinued it. I've romped on my engine pretty hard keeping the rpm with a load above 4.5k for 1-*2 hours pulling a trailer. No issues yet

I've seen most members on here state they drive the **** out of their trucks and have zero issues, such as yourself. My issue along with a small portion of other members all seem to have a similar defect in the motor, resulting in replacing of motor. I'm going to try and reach out to a brother of a girl I dated for a few years who was an engineer at Ford in MI, to see if he knows anything. He used to work in different fields at Ford (if my memory serves me correctly); one field was writing the algorithms for drive systems and another was final design variation for the robots at the plant. Maybe he can help me out if he knows anything regarding these motors.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to see your troubles. I've had no issues with my 17. The only common issue I've seen on this engine so far is the cam phasers/timing chain problem, which ford has been battling for years and has seemed to affect some Raptors. I've counted about 10 that have undergone surgery. Some have the noise come back, some don't - as of July, there's supposed to be a new part to prevent re-occurrence.

If the rattling is really bad for the first few seconds on startup, it's pretty good indication you've got a problem with cam phasers. Now, the techs seem to be split on effects of this long term. In some cases, it seems to be harmless, in other cases, it is evident damage had already occurred.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First beer on my when someone can reverse engineer a Toyota or Mazda cam phaser to work.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone a while back posted, that a ford had an updated flash to fix this issue, by increasing oil pressure during start up. Is this true? If so, maybe I should go do this to prevent it from developing in the first place.

Last edited:

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First beer on my when someone can reverse engineer a Toyota or Mazda cam phaser to work.

Other manufacturers use cam phasers? My understanding is that Ford came up with it, and it was exclusive to them. Pretty clever system, but complexity comes with a cost.

Some a while back posted, that a ford had an updated flash to fix this issue, but increasing oil pressure during start up. Is this true? If so, maybe I should go do this to prevent it from developing in the first place.

That's interesting, but the first time I've seen anything about that. There's also been speculation that catch cans have exacerbated the problem, but I don't have enough data to conclude anything on that front, yet.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that would be strange if a catch can had an impact on it, as I don't understand how that would impact the cam phasers. Someone explain if able.

sean1968

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to push for it this time around. I thought about bringing it to another dealer, but most of them suck besides the dealer I took it to. We had taken our GT for the half shaft and transaxle bolts repair at the ‘social consensus’ of 2nd best dealership around here; the car came out with scratches on the roof and dirty grease/oily hands all over the body. I’m talking chunks of grease. Since then, I cringe ever going back there. I’m really happy with the dealer I took it too and I trust them, so we’ll see what happens this round.
Contact a lemon law attorney... I believe the rule is 30 days in the shop and you qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro