2017 Engine replaced, same issue again. Lengthy write-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, posting this to help others if they're having any similar issues. I'll post the symptoms I was having, the actual notes from the service paperwork and what Ford customer relations did for me. The same issue is occurring again, so not sure what my options are at this point.

Traded in my Gen1 August 28th from John Kennedy Ford in Phoenixville, PA to purchase this 2017 with 7,193 miles. Took a bit of a hit on my trade in number since my Gen 1 had a rear diff humming and rear slider window stopped working. I was ok with the numbers considering the Gen 1 needed a bit of work and I was pressed on time, so I wanted to be in and out. About two days after purchase I noticed a rattle upon startup. After reading around on the forums, members said it could possibly be the noise from direct injection. I said I'll wait a bit longer to notice any difference in performance. After about 2/3 weeks, I made an appointment to drop the truck off at a Ford dealer local to me, Toms Ford in Keyport, NJ, since the rattle was becoming slightly louder. They called me within the week to tell me they can't figure out what's wrong with the truck and there was another Raptor in for the same issue, so they are replacing both engines (I later found out the reason on notes which will be typed below). I was ok with that and not too worried about the work since they have a great reputation around here and have been awesome to me.

Truck was dropped off at 8,100 miles or so, longblock was replaced and now at approximately 8,400 miles, the engine has a light rattle on startup. The second I noticed it, I've been paying close attention to every startup and it seems the rattle becomes louder each time. I also noticed the oil level on dipstick about 4 days ago was close to full. I checked it today and the oil level is right around the halfway mark. There are no spots on my driveway or my parking spot at work.

During the time the engine was being replaced, I called Ford customer relations in which a rep reached out to me. He offered me a 7yr/100k warranty (which I already have) so he came back with covering a 1 month payment (which took some effort and persistence). Other than that, they didn't really go past covering the payment and just reinforcing the same thing the dealer was telling me. Overall, I was satisfied with the way servicing dealer and Ford customer relations helped me out.

But now, I'm back to square one with the engine producing a rattle at startup and I'm truly bummed. My father and I are loyal to Ford, own a couple 6.4L's, a GT (not Mustang) and others over the years. The GT had it's half shaft fall out of the transaxle at very low speed, leaving me stranded and we paid out of pocket for repairs even when there was a "limited time recall." The 6.4's have had their normal issues, but nothing out of the ordinary. It seems as if the best truck we owned was an '87 F-150 which drove until the frame split in half.

I really don't want to get rid of the truck, I do love it. But Ford needs to step up and figure out what's wrong with some of these motors. I should mention that while I was shopping around for a Raptor, one dealer had an AG one I wanted, but couldn't sell it to me stating issues regarding a belt tensioner. Then when I visited other dealers, I noticed one dealer had a Raptor on a lift and another 2 Raptors sitting right outside the garage door waiting to go in. They didn't appear to be brand new trucks since they all had regular NJ civilian plates and no mention of dealership advertising anywhere on the truck. They looked as if they had been driven for a bit of time. I remember taking a mental note since I found it odd I saw this many Raptor's in one service department.

Here are the service notes:

"Checked over the engine for stated concern. Verified abnormal metallic knocking noise and abnormal ticking type noise upon start up, hot or cold conditions. Noises were always present while the engine was running. Performed EEC test via IDS, KOEO, KOER tests done, no service codes present, checked engine oil level and condition, found the oil level to be low, removed all under engine and body shields, Raptor vehicle. Found engine oil present at the left side of the timing cover to engine block area, and oil present inside of underbody shields. Added engine oil to top level, started engine, noises did not go away and were still present, lower end noise present at all times, diag lower end piston skirt breakage. Removed engine assy, and started to disassemble the engine for further diagnosis, found metal present suspended in the oil, removed valve covers for inspection, camshafts were worn and caps scored, at this time short block would not have completed the repair, cylinder heads were needed and upper cylinder camshaft concerns present due to low engine oil due to leak, caused the camshafts and cam caps to lack lubrication, causing wear. At this point longblock was needed with intake manifold assy. Transferred exhaust manifolds, turbos and all feed lines replaced and seals replaced, torqued manifold and turbo hardware, replaced all wheel well mouldings grill assy with inserts all removed to remove engine assy, Raptor vehicle. Transferred all wire harnesses and CAC tubes, evap lines, secured all coolant hoses and lines, added coolant, topped oil level, topped transmission fluid while monitoring TFT, engine now runs with no abnormal noise while the engine was running, found two different internal engine noises present. Lower end piston noise present at cylinder four and testing was performed to verify this concern. Upper end noises heard in both cylinder heads, very loud clatter type noise heard as if an oiling concern was present and starving the cylinder heads, VCT's camshafts of engine oil. Removed valve covers and inspected, removed some cam caps, found camshafts to be very dry and components not coated with oil, as if overheated condition took place due to lack of proper oiling, and VCT components suffered. As mentioned in prior request, engine oil was very low upon arrival, leakage at the left side timing cover was evident, lower end concern circulated contaminants (metal) into the engine and damaged cylinder heads (causing very loud clatter from both cylinder heads) removed engine oil pan and inspected the pistons and bearings, found the piston skirt broken, casual concern which in turn caused internal engine damage would be engine oil leak (lack of internal lubrication)."

There was a bit more additional info from Ford on the service notes pointed to dealer stating engine has a warrantable concern and requires replacement, then goes on to say "order a remanufactured block through parts department. If a remanufactured assembly is not available, order a new assembly." I am not sure if they put in a reman block or a new one. Then the last part of notes is just something about a water pump and ends.

As stated, I hope this can help some people narrow down issues that they are having. I'm going back to Ford tomorrow or during the week when I have some time and can get confirmation for a loaner. I'll keep you guys updated. (Excuse the grammatical errors, typed this up fast while at work).

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had zero issues with my 2017. It hasn't seen the dealership since the day it left the lot. All of my "Raptor friends" have also had zero issues. I feel like people get on here and talk about all these engine problems when in reality, it's a very small group who just all happen to be on the most popular Raptor forum and it makes it seem like all these engines are failing. I'm sorry for your bad luck. Just keep the pressure on Ford and they will come through for you. I had brand new 2012 mustang 5.0 blow up on me before the first oil change, and Ford replaced the engine and threw in a roush supercharger power package for free and included a 5/60k warranty! Of course they didn't offer that, I had a bad experience with the dealer's service manager. He yelled at me in front of customers, which resulted in loss of his job, and a free supercharger on them! Great dealer, ended up buying my GEN 1 from them.

OP
OP
raisins

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had zero issues with my 2017. It hasn't seen the dealership since the day it left the lot. All of my "Raptor friends" have also had zero issues. I feel like people get on here and talk about all these engine problems when in reality, it's a very small group who just all happen to be on the most popular Raptor forum and it makes it seem like all these engines are failing. I'm sorry for your bad luck. Just keep the pressure on Ford and they will come through for you. I had brand new 2012 mustang 5.0 blow up on me before the first oil change, and Ford replaced the engine and threw in a roush supercharger power package for free and included a 5/60k warranty! Of course they didn't offer that, I had a bad experience with the dealer's service manager. He yelled at me in front of customers, which resulted in loss of his job, and a free supercharger on them! Great dealer, ended up buying my GEN 1 from them.

At this rate, I hope I get yelled at! Lol. Just kidding

Yeah, it’s just unfortunate. I work typically 7 days a week with a few Sunday’s off. The first time around, I wasn’t provided a loaner, so it became very inconvenient. Just having to spend time going back and forth with this hoopla is what I’m truly frustrated about. I want to get in, drive it with a smile on my face and have no worries!

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks they aren't giving you a loaner. I'd find a dealer that includes that! You should push the Ford rep to give you a loaner!

OP
OP
raisins

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucks they aren't giving you a loaner. I'd find a dealer that includes that! You should push the Ford rep to give you a loaner!

I’m going to push for it this time around. I thought about bringing it to another dealer, but most of them suck besides the dealer I took it to. We had taken our GT for the half shaft and transaxle bolts repair at the ‘social consensus’ of 2nd best dealership around here; the car came out with scratches on the roof and dirty grease/oily hands all over the body. I’m talking chunks of grease. Since then, I cringe ever going back there. I’m really happy with the dealer I took it too and I trust them, so we’ll see what happens this round.

Tyler_GTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your troubles man.

This sounds a bit like my situation but I’m still waiting on my engine to be replaced. And it seems like my hesitancy may be justified. I’m just not sure I can fully trust a motor after it’s been replaced.

I hope everything works out for you-I know it’s frustrating.

Tyler_GTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The notes about a remanufactured assembly is interesting. I may ask my service manager which I will be getting.

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The notes about a remanufactured assembly is interesting. I may ask my service manager which I will be getting.

Most manufactures are going to use reman engines and transmissions for replacement parts. An OE reman part doesn't lessen the quality of the product. I'm sure it's noted somewhere on the paperwork for warranty purposes.

I hate to hear the original OP is having issues. I really want to add mods to mine but reading some of these posts makes me second guess that for now.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Jasper probably still does them. When my 5.4L died (cam chain tensioner seal blew starving the top end) they used a Jasper engine which IMO is a better built engine. They used their own US sources graphite coated pistons and oil pump with a steel backing plate. Apparently the OEM pump had an aluminum backing plate that would flex away at high rpm and dump oil pressure off.

I ran the **** out of that 5.4L, 5 minute full throttle runs up 6% grades with 10k in tow, off-roading, etc. Never an issue.

Wish I would’ve kept it. My engine needs a replacement, same as OP. It won’t be covered due to the Whipple tune unless I can prove defective “XYZ.” Two buddies have these trucks and BOTH have mechanical noise at startup, rough idle from cams being out of sync.

I need a truck though, may be time for a Toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think these engines are pretty much at their MAX for durability and reliability with the stock Ford Tune. I think FP wanted to have a power package tune but was probably running into reliability issues hence they discontinued it. I've romped on my engine pretty hard keeping the rpm with a load above 4.5k for 1-*2 hours pulling a trailer. No issues yet