GEN 2 Borne Off-Road Raptor Snorkel R&D Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen lots of snorkels on vehicles, but I have never seen one used. Sorry, it is the most useless add on you can do. Water at that depth will sweep your vehicle away.
its not always about water. I believe someone made a point about using a snorkel to lessen dust inhalation when running with your friends off road....

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
its not always about water. I believe someone made a point about using a snorkel to lessen dust inhalation when running with your friends off road....
Nice try. My roof gets just as dusty as my lower part. Actually a snorkel moves the intake father back on your truck. After a run on a dusty trail, look at your vehicle. The back is super dusty, the front not so much. If the snorkel was ahead of the truck it would help, further back not so much.

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice try. My roof gets just as dusty as my lower part. Actually a snorkel moves the intake father back on your truck. After a run on a dusty trail, look at your vehicle. The back is super dusty, the front not so much. If the snorkel was ahead of the truck it would help, further back not so much.

From the website: "Water fording is only half of the equation, and a snorkel addition is essential for protecting your engine on the other side of the moisture spectrum – dirt and dust. The front end of the Raptor, as sleek and aggressive as the design, is flat. That means the stock airbox, which pulls its air from the front grille, is in the line of fire from sand and dust-laden air, especially when you’re wheeling in a group. Yes, there is an air filter to safeguard the engine from the onslaught of sand and dust, but it’s only effective to a certain degree.

Most air filters are highly effective at blocking particles 5 microns and larger. That’s ten times smaller than the width of a human hair and is suitable for when you’re on the road. However, on the trail, dust particles can be as small as 0.2 microns and slip past the air filter. What doesn’t make it through the filter is also of concern. The constant force of dirt and debris can plug up your filter and leave the EcoBoost gasping for air resulting in power loss.

Snorkel kits do more than just give your vehicle a more rugged look. They’re an essential extra layer of protection for your off-road-ready Raptor."

I'm not "trying" anything. But I suppose if you aren't interested in it, you could keep your remarks to yourself.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are welcome to believe anything you want on the internet. You are also welcome to purchase anything you want, where it is useful or not. I am also within my rights to say my opinion and I will continue to do so. In this case, my opinion is based on 20 years of pretty serious off roading and in some pretty serious dusty conditions. So you are welcome to discount it and ignore it, but again I will give it.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Just wanted to bump this thread up to let you know that we're running a giveaway contest for our snorkel! Make sure that you sign up through the link below for your chance to win!

MMAI-RPTR-17N-Giveaway-Post-option1A.jpg

Raptor Snorkel Contest Entry

I also just wanted to interject here and say that we always appreciate feedback in any case, and we appreciate everyone's feedback here!

@ColoradoBoss literally took the words right out from under my fingertips here! Snorkels are for both fording depth along with adding an extra layer of protection against dust and debris. We also made sure to keep our snorkel head mount a standard size so that an additional cyclone separator could be added in conjunction with the snorkel for another layer of protection.

At the end of the day, though, it's YOUR truck. We're all enthusiasts here at Mishimoto/Borne Off-Road, and totally understand making your truck your own. So, while we hope that our components find their way to your truck, we'd rather you pick what's best for your needs!

-Nick

Last edited:

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I don't imagine i'll be getting one (unless it was completely bolt on and no modifications to the body needed to be made) I appreciate that the time was taken to make one. Someone out there will have a need for it. I just wish you didn't have to drill holes in the A-Pillar for it.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I just wanted to bump this up and let you know that we have officially launched this snorkel kit! Those of you on the presale list should be receiving shipping notifications if you haven't already!

Thanks for following along with our R&D process, and we're all stoked to see these snorkels installed on your trucks!

-Nick