GEN 2 Borne Off-Road Raptor Snorkel R&D Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mishimoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Nick here from Mishimoto and Borne Off-Road! I just wanted to kick off this thread with some exciting news about our brand new snorkel kit for the second generation Raptors! I just dropped an info-packed post up on our Engineering blog, so make sure that you head there to get a full look at our kit:

HEIGHTENED SENSES – 2017-2020 FORD RAPTOR BORNE OFF-ROAD SNORKEL KIT – CONCEPT TO COMPLETION

15_scaled_9b6e8cc81f0c5e68359fb87af4a1e336c7c9bd4d.jpg

Water fording is only half of the equation, and a snorkel addition is essential for protecting your engine on the other side of the moisture spectrum – dirt and dust. The front end of the Raptor, as sleek and aggressive as the design, is flat. That means the stock airbox, which pulls its air from the front grille, is in the line of fire from sand and dust-laden air, especially when you’re wheeling in a group. Yes, there is an air filter to safeguard the engine from the onslaught of sand and dust, but it’s only effective to a certain degree.

Most air filters are highly effective at blocking particles 5 microns and larger. That’s ten times smaller than the width of a human hair and is suitable for when you’re on the road. However, on the trail, dust particles can be as small as 0.2 microns and slip past the air filter. What doesn’t make it through the filter is also of concern. The constant force of dirt and debris can plug up your filter and leave the EcoBoost gasping for air resulting in power loss.

Snorkel kits do more than just give your vehicle a more rugged look. They’re an essential extra layer of protection for your off-road-ready Raptor. Before we dive straight into the install, let’s take a look at the concept and design for this kit.

One of the major downsides to adding a snorkel is the need to cut through body panels to install them. That isn’t a big deal on a battle-scarred off-road veteran, but chopping through the body of a $65,000+ truck is an understandable reason to be skittish. So, we plan to significantly limit any hacking needed by channeling our snorkel through the driver’s side fender vent.

98_scaled_dc9ef612384e969212c7987d254adbebf5dcf195.jpg

Make sure that you head to our Engineering Blog for more info on the Borne Off-Road kit, and a link to get your own snorkel kit.

As always, don't hesitate to reach out with any questions that you might have!

-Nick

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Just wanted to bump this thread up, and give you a little more insight on our R&D process in conjunction with our intake system!

Our presale is still going on for another few weeks, but this price is only temporary! Make sure that you get on the pricing while it lasts!

Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions that you might have!

-Nick

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since nobody else is going to post . It looks like solid unit with great engineering. I'm sure it will benefit the overlanders . Majority raptor owners will pass on this my opinion . It kinda sticks out there like a large carbuncle .

Thanks for the feedback!

-Nick

yang88she

Reaction score
Good to see it can work with the stock intake box and run through the factory fender vent.
I'm assuming the factory air filter would still be in use, but what would happen to the front "cold air" intake area above the grill?
Since the water would certainly still get in through there, if it's above 32" of water.

Good to see a snorkel option that's not some eBay chinese knock off.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since nobody else is going to post . It looks like solid unit with great engineering. I'm sure it will benefit the overlanders . Majority raptor owners will pass on this my opinion . It kinda sticks out there like a large carbuncle .
How will it benefit overlanders? They don't follow one another at high speed over dusty roads. I'd never intentionally take mine into water deep enough to reach the air intake - there are way too many electrical and electronic widgets for me to be comfortable dunking a bunch of them. Car camping is what I mostly do and all I can see besides restricting airflow is that it makes your truck look cool ... for some value of cool.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How will it benefit overlanders? They don't follow one another at high speed over dusty roads. I'd never intentionally take mine into water deep enough to reach the air intake - there are way too many electrical and electronic widgets for me to be comfortable dunking a bunch of them. Car camping is what I mostly do and all I can see besides restricting airflow is that it makes your truck look cool ... for some value of cool.
I notice more overlanders have snorkels on their rigs. I agree if water got that deep you got other problems. About cleaner air being 2 feet higher than stock intake , i think that's null , roof of my truck is just as dirty as hood of my truck.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I notice more overlanders have snorkels on their rigs. I agree if water got that deep you got other problems. About cleaner air being 2 feet higher than stock intake , i think that's null , roof of my truck is just as dirty as hood of my truck.
If I need a snorkel, the stuff in the bed will be under water. And being out of cell range in a rolling computer that just got dunked? Call me a p u s s y, but I'm not signing up for that.