BFG Dry Rot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good news! Did they replace them with the same S compound BFG's or the R compund?

Good question. I'm going through the same thing. 2011 with 11k and major chunking. BFG sent me to a local tire shop for inspection and they only offered to replace the tires if i paid 25% of the cost + mount/balance/alignment.

I call BS because I'm under 25% of my warranty mileage yet they want me to pay 25% of the cost (plus shop fees).

The shop also asked if I wanted the stock tire or the "normal" bfg.

I feel like they could have at least used some sort of lubricant. I'm going to go back to the shop and have them get BFG back on the phone and ask for a better deal.

MDU

OP
OP
Ms. MI Raptor

Ms. MI Raptor

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Thats great, glad that went so easy for you. I usually have to put up a little more of a fight but then again there is another advantage you have.
:)

No advantage here! The warranty ***** did her best to fight with me... Weeks ago when I brought the truck in she was going to order tires and submit a request to Ford about the fender flare. I didn't hear anything back so a week later I called her again and oops - she forgot to get what size tire I needed. Grrr.. So I give her the info and she ordered the tires. She also told me the flare was approved so I asked if it would need to be painted. Of course she didn't know and then snarkily responded I can work with the body shop direct if it does. Of course I shoulda expected this when she asked me what "that thing" was called for her warranty write up. Lastly when I asked her for a quote on a Ford remote start she told me to go to a different aftermarket shop in town. She REFUSED to quote the business thru Ford. I may be able to pull the girl card and flirt in some cases, but this was definitely not it.

Good news! Did they replace them with the same S compound BFG's or the R compund?

Replaced them with the same 121/118S. But new is new and didn't cost me a dime.

Good question. I'm going through the same thing. 2011 with 11k and major chunking. BFG sent me to a local tire shop for inspection and they only offered to replace the tires if i paid 25% of the cost + mount/balance/alignment.

I call BS because I'm under 25% of my warranty mileage yet they want me to pay 25% of the cost (plus shop fees).

The shop also asked if I wanted the stock tire or the "normal" bfg.

I feel like they could have at least used some sort of lubricant. I'm going to go back to the shop and have them get BFG back on the phone and ask for a better deal.

MDU

My truck has 15k and Ford dealer warrantied for me. I didn't have to deal with BFG or any tire shop.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
No advantage here! The warranty ***** did her best to fight with me... Weeks ago when I brought the truck in she was going to order tires and submit a request to Ford about the fender flare. I didn't hear anything back so a week later I called her again and oops - she forgot to get what size tire I needed. Grrr.. So I give her the info and she ordered the tires. She also told me the flare was approved so I asked if it would need to be painted. Of course she didn't know and then snarkily responded I can work with the body shop direct if it does. Of course I shoulda expected this when she asked me what "that thing" was called for her warranty write up. Lastly when I asked her for a quote on a Ford remote start she told me to go to a different aftermarket shop in town. She REFUSED to quote the business thru Ford. I may be able to pull the girl card and flirt in some cases, but this was definitely not it.

Replaced them with the same 121/118S. But new is new and didn't cost me a dime.

My truck has 15k and Ford dealer warrantied for me. I didn't have to deal with BFG or any tire shop.

oh god i love when a woman throws around tire model #s

Atticus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I brought mine into the dealer today. A week ago I got a low pressure warning from the ecu for the tires. I filled them up after off-roading about three weeks prior at 45 psi. The two left side tires had dropped about 10 psi, the right front about 15 psi, and the right back about 20 psi. I immediately filled them right back up and monitored for the rest of the day; they seemed o.k....no air loss. I attributed it to the recent drop in temps in the northeast, although I couldn't explain the differences. I thought it might have been from hitting curbs or something (I do that more than I'd like with the wide wheel base, especially on the right side) Well, not even a week later, I get another pressure warning. I check the tires. Pretty much the same thing, except less air loss, but definitely more on the right side, and definitely more on the back right tire. I call my local dealership and explain, and they tell me to bring it in tomorrow. So, I go out to the truck later in the day and I hear air coming from the back right tire; turns out, there was a brass nail or something lodged in between the treads, slowly leaking air, enough though that I brought it in right away. This, of course, explains the back right tire, but not the rest of the tires. I also noticed slight craking/dry rot in between the tire treads when I saw that nail. The tires only have 8,500 miles on them. I'm guessing that they must be defective in some way, and I'm going to have to deal with a warranty issue. At least they are warranteed. Jeesh...it's good to know I'm not alone on this one.

RobertM

Reaction score
Good to hear that you got your new tires Mandy! (Were all four of the old ones dry rotted? That's totally bizarre.) thinking.gif

And what the heck's up with that warranty *****? That doesn't make sense that she wouldn't quote the remote start. I'd be having a word with her supervisor if I were you. angry.gif

OP
OP
Ms. MI Raptor

Ms. MI Raptor

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Good to hear that you got your new tires Mandy! (Were all four of the old ones dry rotted? That's totally bizarre.) thinking.gif

And what the heck's up with that warranty *****? That doesn't make sense that she wouldn't quote the remote start. I'd be having a word with her supervisor if I were you. angry.gif

Well you've met me so can probably tell I'm no shrinking violet when it comes to my truck! :)

All 4 of my tires were rotted but 2 were worse than others. You'd almost think I knew someone with a Ford dealership that could help, right?? He did quote the remote start but how to get the truck there for service work is tricky so I'm probably going to go aftermarket.

Last edited:

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you've met me so can probably tell I'm no shrinking violet when it comes to my truck! :)

I suspect the warranty ***** was probably very jealous and / or intimidated . She probably even get's farther back on her heals after you leave , as our trucks can cause a buz at dealerships and I suspect even more so in your case when you step out of the truck . I am sure the service writers and mechanics probably think it is cool as hell you are rolling the Raptor and make a comment or two and the ***** hates it .:waytogo:

OP
OP
Ms. MI Raptor

Ms. MI Raptor

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
DEADEYE said:
I suspect the warranty ***** was probably very jealous and / or intimidated . She probably even get's farther back on her heals after you leave , as our trucks can cause a buz at dealerships and I suspect even more so in your case when you step out of the truck . I am sure the service writers and mechanics probably think it is cool as hell you are rolling the Raptor and make a comment or two and the ***** hates it .:waytogo:

Lol! Thanks for the ego boost! :) I did just have someone Facebook message me if I was the "chick with the raptor" so I guess some people may talk...

I'm not exactly sure why but I swear my truck feels like its working more to turn the new rubber. I guess the last set was so hardened they may not have been gripping much anymore since it did break loose on the slightest patch of water but something just feels weird...

Sent from my iPhone

Irunone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Ms MI Raptor. I was working on my 2010 Scab yesterday and looked at the tires. Sho Nuff, cracks between lugs. Just turned over 11k miles. I brought to Ford today and the service manager took pics and is looking into issue on his end. Agreed that tires look defective and said he is going to try to get a new set of tires authorized. I'll f/u and let you all know how this turns out.

11-4-11
F/u: Tires replaced today without charge but not without major hassle. Believe it or not, it was the ford service advisor that went to bat for me. Ford would not cover this issue under warranty and passed it off as a BFG issue. BFG wanted to prorate wear and not acknowledge tires defective. I personally overheard service advisor on phone going extra mile on to resolve. Was taken care of but not before ford field rep got involved.

Last edited: