Best Intercooler for Stock Location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I installed the Cobb IC in the factory location at the beginning of summer here in El Paso. Fairly strait forward install, the only thing I had to "modify" was the removal of a plastic shroud held on by a couple plastic clips.

The part is fantastic quality and makes the stock IC look ridiculous. I am very happy with it.

As far as performance, you could tell it was far less inclined to be heat soaked, the turbos were able to maintain boost and ripping around red sands was a blast.

While I dont have a tune (yet) I will say I think that will be where this would shine.

Caveat: the only reason I went factory vs relocated was because 1. I was worried about a voided warranty if anything happened (could replace all the parts easy if something happened) and 2. I didn't want to modify.

I will be open to relocated in the future though, it looks BadA**!

Glad to see your feedback and we've got them in stock in both black and silver finishes!

Derekb95svt

Reaction score
AMS is the thickest, but almost too thick at 5.5"...it does cause some problems with certain aftermarket bumpers that are very tight fitting like the ADD PRO Bolt On. If you plan to keep stock bumper, it's not a bad option at all. Garrett is hair thinner at 5.32". They've not been super popular so I don't have a ton of feedback on the fitment. But I do know that Garrett is a quality brand we've never had issues with any of their other parts on other vehicles. They're the only mfg that's actually got bolt-in aftermarket turbos for these trucks right now. COBB is our go-to and our most popular but that's just because we trust the quality. We've been selling COBB parts since the debuted for the Gen 2 and I've personally only had 1 issue with 1 intercooler since then and COBB made it right. COBB is the slimmest at 4.92" and we've not had any problem fitting them with aftermarket bumpers.
Did I hear that the Cobb FMIC would work with these M&R light bars? Do we know what others may work? I'm in the market now so hopefully I can get something so I don't have to ditch the ambers lol

Attachments

• 20210527_192320.jpg
    20210527_192320.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210527_192540.jpg
    20210527_192540.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 20

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will never understand the lights behind the grill but w/e. You should NOT put an IC behind those lights, they deflect way more airflow than you think.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding to the group and another data point. I got a COBB Access Port with a custom GooseTune and TCM tune and did the datalogging with the Water/Methanol Injection system I installed running. The WMI system makes a huge difference in the charge air temps. I then went ahead and added the CVF Titan Intercooler, because...why not? :). It was very easy to install, very high quality, very reasonably priced (as others have said), AND it made even more of a difference in the Air Temps over just the WMI system. Very cool and consistent temps and quick recovery of any increases.

I cannot speak to any other brands as I have no experience with them, and I am sure others are good (and not good). Just my experience with CVF Titan is very positive and meets my needs/expectations.

Also, as others have said...Get those clamps good and tight! I had no issues with this one, but when I upgraded the IC's on my 911 TT, I did not get one hose back on correctly, and it is a very unpleasant sound and result when they pop off under load! It will scare the **** out of you.

Goosetuned ECU Tune / TCM Tune / Water Methanol Injection / INJEN Intake / Borla S-Type Exhaust, CVF Titan Intercooler and the truck is running great. I love it so far.

DC

1s.jpg

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good deal! I’m sure the IC helped out a lot. That WMI system must make a major difference too.

I thought that air cleaner on your BOV looked familiar. It’s the same one we had on the carb of our little gas scooter years ago that we used at the track lol. Oh the memories.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal! I’m sure the IC helped out a lot. That WMI system must make a major difference too.

I thought that air cleaner on your BOV looked familiar. It’s the same one we had on the carb of our little gas scooter years ago that we used at the track lol. Oh the memories.
Haha...Yeah, the little BOV air cleaner is likely not needed, but I had a couple around from various Oil Catch Cans etc., and was able to modify it to fit perfectly and secure, so figured it would not hurt :)

Yes, on the WMI, it does a great job of cooling, as well as boosting Octane to prevent knock too! Depending on the mixture Water to Methanol you can essentially get ~116 Octane equivalent from 93 Octane gasoline. On my datalog pulls for GooseTuned, as opposed to seeing temps increase over the pulls, they got progressively colder.

Over 9 datalogs on different days and times, I saw an average Charge Air Temp REDUCTION of 18% for Full Throttle- 2500 RPM to Redline pulls. The lowest drop was 17% and the highest was 21%. These were done on cooler days. I suspect when it gets hot, the drops will be even greater.

Also the WMI is a great upper engine cleaner (Alcohol/Water steam cleaning the backs of valves etc.). Certainly worth the effort, and Winfield @ GooseTuned can tune for it to get you more power as the knock/heat become less of an issue!

DC