Best Intercooler for Stock Location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spdrcrj

Reaction score
Good lord, I did it. I read through all 40 pages of this thread. CVF intercooler, 170* thermostat, and stage 2 Goosetune it is. Already have the Goose stage 1 and am very pleased. fwiw.....installed some Caltracs traction bars and the truck feels so much more "locked down" and solid.

Last edited:

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mounted the eBay mishimoto clone.
Cool AF. Solid well built. 68% more capacity than stock. Same location and mounts.
Plenty happy with it. For a third the cost.

Mikee Martin

SVC. Krazy House Customz. JDM. Seaside Superbikes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AMS is the thickest, but almost too thick at 5.5"...it does cause some problems with certain aftermarket bumpers that are very tight fitting like the ADD PRO Bolt On. If you plan to keep stock bumper, it's not a bad option at all. Garrett is hair thinner at 5.32". They've not been super popular so I don't have a ton of feedback on the fitment. But I do know that Garrett is a quality brand we've never had issues with any of their other parts on other vehicles. They're the only mfg that's actually got bolt-in aftermarket turbos for these trucks right now. COBB is our go-to and our most popular but that's just because we trust the quality. We've been selling COBB parts since the debuted for the Gen 2 and I've personally only had 1 issue with 1 intercooler since then and COBB made it right. COBB is the slimmest at 4.92" and we've not had any problem fitting them with aftermarket bumpers.
has anyone installed and tested the big garrett turbos? i will be the test truck. dyno befoe and after, tune with whatever you like. i own a seaside superbikes. looking at installing JE pistons and big turbos, the new JEs are bad ***, Ceramic or proprietary top of piston, especially built for up to 30lbs of boost..forget what they are called, you can ck them out....831 760 2701.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
has anyone installed and tested the big garrett turbos? i will be the test truck. dyno befoe and after, tune with whatever you like. i own a seaside superbikes. looking at installing JE pistons and big turbos, the new JEs are bad ***, Ceramic or proprietary top of piston, especially built for up to 30lbs of boost..forget what they are called, you can ck them out....831 760 2701.

We’ve sold a number of them. Feel free to reach out if you’d like to grab a set. We also carry the upgraded ID injectors too to take care of both air and fuel. We work with Goosetuned for the tuning side and they can get you dialed in with all the tuning needed.

Mikee Martin

SVC. Krazy House Customz. JDM. Seaside Superbikes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ve sold a number of them. Feel free to reach out if you’d like to grab a set. We also carry the upgraded ID injectors too to take care of both air and fuel. We work with Goosetuned for the tuning side and they can get you dialed in with all the tuning needed.
So what does the dyno say about these turbos? Maby Goosetune knows..thanks

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You're looking at 525hp/575tq at the wheels on 93 octane. 575hp at the wheels on E30. That's full bolt ons plus turbos and injectors. Past 575hp, you're running out of fuel and will need the XDI 60 pump.

rmoore311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently installed the CVFab IC and it was super easy and they had great customer service. Highly recommended for a stock location IC.

ApacheAg

Reaction score
What about Cobb IC? Does that require modifications?
I installed the Cobb IC in the factory location at the beginning of summer here in El Paso. Fairly strait forward install, the only thing I had to "modify" was the removal of a plastic shroud held on by a couple plastic clips.

The part is fantastic quality and makes the stock IC look ridiculous. I am very happy with it.

As far as performance, you could tell it was far less inclined to be heat soaked, the turbos were able to maintain boost and ripping around red sands was a blast.

While I dont have a tune (yet) I will say I think that will be where this would shine.

Caveat: the only reason I went factory vs relocated was because 1. I was worried about a voided warranty if anything happened (could replace all the parts easy if something happened) and 2. I didn't want to modify.

I will be open to relocated in the future though, it looks BadA**!