Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Best alternative to Sport Mode

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by Duane, Sep 22, 2020.

1. chi_weezy

chi_weezy FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yep I prefer paddles. Trans shifting is pretty annoying sometimes in this thing. Makes me want a tune but we’ll see

Donmatteo likes this.
  2. Antho

Antho Full Access Member

Just give the throttle a little input and it will upshift.

3. FordTechOne

FordTechOne FRF Addict

Nope, same as F-150/Raptor. Defaults to Normal mode with each key cycle.

Powertrain tuning is critical to EPA test results; the cycle is very strict. These test procedures are the reason almost all vehicles now have auto start/stop. Even a couple hundred RPM difference before a shifts will lower the average, which directly affects the published fuel economy.

Automotive OEMs need to cater to the general public, which in the case of F-Series is millions of buyers. They have to be mindful of increased complexity, because the large majority of consumers aren’t going to use features like that, and the resulting confusion can pull down overall vehicle benchmark scores. The category of “difficulty to use” has a major impact, as the average age of a vehicle being traded in is 12 years old. Most of these people have never used Sync or push button start, never mind more advanced features.

Perfect solution? Of course not. But until the EPA changes their rules, I don’t see another way around it. That being said, I wonder how FCA tests their Hellcat models...black key or red key? I’d guess the black key, maybe that’s a way around the system??

4. TXRaptor

TXRaptor FRF Addict

MPT 93 PRX Tune. Buy it and you will not need Sport Mode... :cool:

Duane and smurfslayer like this.
  5. Troutrad

Troutrad Full Access Member

All I can do is commiserate instead of help. While kind of minor, it is one of my top pet peeves about the Raptor. I live in ice/snow conditions at least 5 months a year and having to switch it to weather/snow mode every single time I start it is just plain wrong. And when I’m towing... same thing. This was just a dumb move on Fords part.

6. Ski4Ever

Ski4Ever Full Access Member

I've always wondered why they didn't allow it to stay in "Tow/Haul mode" when there's something plugged into the trailer harness. Seems like that should be a good default behavior!

Troutrad likes this.
  7. SoCalTroy

SoCalTroy FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Pedal Commander is the way to go. Works great on my 2019, no problems.

8. Turning Blue

Turning Blue Full Access Member

Maybe while Ford is at it they can design the next gen Raptor to have doors that open as one approaches their truck, then the engine starts without having to push that darn start button on the dash, and then drives without touching the steering wheel? Maybe they can have it sense your mood and change modes automatically as well?

Wishful thinking I guess. Oh well, in the mean time I guess I will just have to continue controlling my vehicle when I drive. How lame is that?...lol.

Of course one could consider hiring a driver?

isis and metalwhiz like this.
  9. chi_weezy

chi_weezy FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think you’re referring to Tesla lol

Turning Blue and K223 like this.
  10. big_slacker

big_slacker Member

If software companies thought like this we'd all still be using DOS. :D

The idea that having a menu option for 'sticky' modes is too complex baffles me. It doesn't have to be the default, but it's just some lines of code....