Best alternative to Sport Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If software companies thought like this we'd all still be using DOS. :D

The idea that having a menu option for 'sticky' modes is too complex baffles me. It doesn't have to be the default, but it's just some lines of code....

It’s not that it’s too complex, it’s that it wouldn’t be EPA compliant in terms of rated fuel economy. Same reason auto start/stop re-enables with each key cycle.

Turning Blue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does make sense as to why they set it up to default at the highest fuel efficiency settings. In most cases I prefer to drive in normal mode for smoothness and fuel efficiency as well as lower rpms. But I also understand why guys don't like that it does default back.

However, I wouldn't consider getting a tune with the primary motivation being to override those two items. For me, a tune would be more for fun than anything, so I'll just keep pushing the button when I want the extra fun that sport mode provides. I think most would agree that sport mode really makes the truck get up and go with ease.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if you got a tune, you will still want to go into Sport mode as all of your driving mods still work with most tunes. It only takes a second to click the button twice, I'm sure Starbucks can wait another minute.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not enthusiastic about now much Normal mode neuters the truck over Sport and I can’t believe it’s shift strategy is good for the health of the truck long term.

GM could get away with running the engine at lower RPMs in cruising gear because the engines had boat loads of torque. It makes me nervous to see the Ecoboost at the same RPMs and to watch the boost gauge climb anytime I put a bit of foot into the throttle.

If you were to throw the keys to a Raptor to the average person and not disclose the power specs and lock it in normal, I don’t think they would ever guess it makes as much power as it does.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If you were to throw the keys to a Raptor to the average person and not disclose the power specs and lock it in normal, I don’t think they would ever guess it makes as much power as it does.

Well, that’s because in normal it basically doesn’t. I know, I know, if you go WFO, you get full power, but if you don’t floor it in normal mode, the truck won’t downshift as aggressively as sport, you’re not in the meat of the power band and while you might have 510 pound feet of torque on tap, you’re not getting it instantly while moving. The shift, or rather lack of shift strategy keeps you OUT of the power band.

I detest normal mode, even with a pedal commander, it’s just awful.