Best all around octane tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DrifterGTR

DrifterGTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont understand why they make the various tunes either? If they leave the knock senor in , or as they claim , make it work even better , why the various tunes???

I'm in the same boat as you. I like what im seeing with the mpt tune. Though the multiple tunes thing is somewhat confusing. I think having one tune for 91 and 93 octane and one tune for 83 or 85 would have made sense. And then maybe one tune for e85 for people that really want to exclusively use it. But i also haven't dabbled in tuning since my days building rx7's. So take my opinions with a grain of salt.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Probably because people don't understand how it works and think they need 15 diffrent tunes. And it take awhile for it to adjust

I dont understand why they make the various tunes either? If they leave the knock senor in , or as they claim , make it work even better , why the various tunes???

Well, it is quite obvious really - If you go with a 91 octane tune I'm sure there are spark advance and boost parameters that are NEVER exceeded, meaning there is a limit and using 100 octane on the 91 tune will not get you any benefit. I would rather have it this way since there is no 93 where I live - using a 93 tune and praying the knock sensor works properly is a recipe for disaster IMO. The OEM tune is for 87-93 or a one size fits all like Gearhead but the OEM tune is super conservative.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sure hope MPT knows how it works... :biggrin:

My question was asking why "MPT" thinks they need different octane tunes. GH only has one tune and I was considering them for that very reason, but I really wanted to get the higher performance from MPT. Now that I know they also leave the octane adjustments in place, I feel I made the right decision all the way around... :smile:

The different tunes for octane level mainly set the maximum timing and boost limits higher for 93 or lower for 91. To get the MAX performance from any of the particular tunes, I recommend you run the indicated octane fuel or even a little higher (93 if available). That said, if you only have 91 octane available I wouldn't run a 93 tune simply because the boost level(s) for the 93 tune will constantly result in a ping and an immediate reduction in timing which noticeably reduces power.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The different tunes for octane level mainly set the maximum timing and boost limits higher for 93 or lower for 91. To get the MAX performance from any of the particular tunes, I recommend you run the indicated octane fuel or even a little higher (93 if available). That said, if you only have 91 octane available I wouldn't run a 93 tune simply because the boost level(s) for the 93 tune will constantly result in a ping and an immediate reduction in timing which noticeably reduces power.

Yes, I plan to use 93 whenever possible because I live in Texas where 93 is readily available. However, I travel to other states occasionally and I may not be able to get 93 for the entire length of my trip. In this case, I hope MPT does the right thing and adjust for 91 or 89, etc.

I am fine reducing my power when 93 is not available as long as the truck continues to operate normally.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Yes, I plan to use 93 whenever possible because I live in Texas where 93 is readily available. However, I travel to other states occasionally and I may not be able to get 93 for the entire length of my trip. In this case, I hope MPT does the right thing and adjust for 91 or 89, etc.

I am fine reducing my power when 93 is not available as long as the truck continues to operate normally.

if you try to run the 93 tune with 91, you'll end up getting a whole shit ton of dtcs and misfires.

I filled up at a station that mistakenly filled their 93 tank with 91 on a road trip.

They thought it was "fine" that they had a sign INSIDE THE STORE, but not on the pumps indicating this.

I decided to be cool and give it a whirl. Got about a mile down the road and DTCs galore. Limped it back and was a little angry. ( I have the MPT v3 tune.)

I ended up having to clear out the shelf of royal purple octane booster at O'rielly next door. The station owner was none too pleased that the octane booster that he had to pay for totaled out to a third of the fill-up.

this was about 15 miles east of dallas.

OP
OP
DrifterGTR

DrifterGTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm in SC, and this is exactly my issue. Just because I am here or NC / Ga regularly, and can find 93 easily means that is the tune that I would prefer. However, when I'm traveling with the family and end up in ( fill in the blank) and can only find a lower octane does not mean that I want to intentionally want to purchase a lower octane tune. I could stay stock in that is the case and I'm covered for whatever, buy a pedal commander, and call it a day

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Do you realize that MPT gives you THREE tunes? Get the 91, 93 and tow tune then you can switch whenever you want. It literally takes 6 minutes to flash to another tune. You either don't understand how easy it is or you are making a big deal out of nothing.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you realize that MPT gives you THREE tunes? Get the 91, 93 and tow tune then you can switch whenever you want. It literally takes 6 minutes to flash to another tune. You either don't understand how easy it is or you are making a big deal out of nothing.

Yeah, I'm wondering as well. The MPT tunes require you to also purchase the nGauge device for loading the maps unless you already have another device that is capable. Although the nGauge isn't my first choice device (Cobb AP), it does work as reasonably well and allows at least the one user-changeable parameter for tire diameter. You can leave it connected and monitor up to 6 parameters real-time. As mentioned, a map change requires about 6 minutes while stationary with the engine off. You can swap maps while refueling the truck!

OP
OP
DrifterGTR

DrifterGTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to take a step back here for a moment , if I may.
I think this conversation should be asking in addition to a comparison between the various tunes available ; what features are we all looking for in a tune. The octane adaptive algorithm seems to be a popular feature, though it seems that most of us agree it's slower than we would prefer, but that it does work. Also there seems to be somewhat of an agreement that 93 is hard to find, and 91 is a more common option. Finally, we seem to keep coming back to the Ngage and how it is not the best tool for the job. But it is a tool that works. Personally, I am not a fan, and the thought of refueling and returning is a bit bothersome as well, but if that's what has to happen then so be it. Maybe we need to start a campaign with the assistance of the F150 forum members and get in touch with Cobb or whomever for a better option.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cobb is in the middle of raptor tuning now. I have had the mpt 91 prx in for a week. Not one hiccup and pulls much harder. Especially from the lower rpm range.