Bed bolts spinning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irvin Mendez

Reaction score
I recently removed my SDHQ chase rack to load some stuff in the bed of the truck. Today I tried reinstalling said chase rack only to notice that the two middle bolts keep spinning. After further inspection it looks like the nut/clip that threads onto the bolts have fallen off. It’s a tight fight in there so I’m not sure if clipping on the nut is even feasible. Anyone have any tips or experience on fixing this? I really don’t want to make any unnecessary holes to the Frame. Thanks in advance

OP
OP
I

Irvin Mendez

Reaction score

You’ll need a very thin wrench to get underneath to grab the old nut and loosen it. I think it’s somewhere between 19mm-21mm.
I been digging around and I can’t find the nut so I’m thinking somehow they got unclipped. The two front ones thread in just fine. Either I need to remove the bed to install the clips or get someone with tiny hands cuz it’s a tight fit

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Remove all bed bolts and lift the bed and support with some 2x4 blocks so you can fix the center ones. Just FYI but according to Ford, the bed bolts and nuts are considered single use meaning you are supposed to use new hardware each time. The new nuts do not have any thread, you actually cut the treads when installing the bolts for the first time.

OP
OP
I

Irvin Mendez

Reaction score
Remove all bed bolts and lift the bed and support with some 2x4 blocks so you can fix the center ones. Just FYI but according to Ford, the bed bolts and nuts are considered single use meaning you are supposed to use new hardware each time. The new nuts do not have any thread, you actually cut the treads when installing the bolts for the first time.
This was actually my 5th time taking them off, so I guess that’s the limit lol
I’ll do that and probably end up getting the khc bolts. So just to confirm before I start something I can’t finish, lifting the bed will give me access to install the nut inserts?

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was actually my 5th time taking them off, so I guess that’s the limit lol
I’ll do that and probably end up getting the khc bolts. So just to confirm before I start something I can’t finish, lifting the bed will give me access to install the nut inserts?
You don’t have to lift the bed for the middle two. I had one of those break on me, drop your spare if you have it in there and you can access those. Not sure about the two closest to the cab or the two closest to the tailgate though.

OP
OP
I

Irvin Mendez

Reaction score
You don’t have to lift the bed for the middle two. I had one of those break on me, drop your spare if you have it in there and you can access those. Not sure about the two closest to the cab or the two closest to the tailgate though.
I’ll try this first. Removing the bed seems tedious but I’m prepared to do so if that’s my last resort. My truck looks naked without the chase rack