Custom Bed Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a custom bed rack that mounts to the bed bolts, as opposed to the bed rail like most commercially available racks. The rack will need to support a roof top tent and be able to survive Baja next spring.

Does anyone have experience with a custom fabricated bed rack? I will likely use steel, but I am curious if anyone has used aluminum tube from a boat tower fabricator? There are plenty of custom fabricators making boat towers that look pretty solid. Any pro's or con's to steel vs aluminum for this type of application?

1694093769527.png
1694093795951.png

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Will need to check the weight of the tent, people in it and compare the strength of the tubing.

If you have one made, you also going to have two spares and bypass mounts? Even if not doing bypass now, would be good for future so you don't need to redo later.

OP
OP
ToadSmasher2K1

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats good to consider. Initially no bypass. I will probably take one spare, tent will be 160-200 lbs., I haven't decided which way to go yet.