Bakflip MX4 latch issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a few bakflip bed covers and never had any issues. Just installed the mx4 on my truck and noticed that it barely is wide enough to latch. The latch only overlaps the rail system by maybe 1/8” on each side. Almost like the bed cover is for a slightly more narrow bed. Serial number matches up with the truck though. So now when I’m ripping down rough choppy roads I noticed that the bed cover will come unlatched at the back by the tailgate. Had a shop install it since it was already in getting other mods but it appears it’s installed correctly. Anyone else notice this on their mx4 bakflip? If so it is a poor design as I can easily open it without having to open the tailgate.

Attachments

• DA6CA9AD-8262-4D80-BB8D-2FAAF33756DB.jpg
    DA6CA9AD-8262-4D80-BB8D-2FAAF33756DB.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 71C777E1-5261-4DC6-A269-9587B49E0582.jpg
    71C777E1-5261-4DC6-A269-9587B49E0582.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Dela-raptor

Reaction score
The latch can be adjusted either in or out. Loosen the set screw and you can move the latch to the outside.

bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh. Wish I saw this thread earlier. Spent a few hours installing, removing, installing this thing because it wouldn't latch evenly.

Although I'm not sure that's loosening the latch will completely solve my issue. Instead of making a new thread, I'll post my issues here.

I cannot get the cover to sit evenly on the rails. Tightened the rail bolts to 10 ft/lbs as indicated on the instructions, but I still could not get the cover to track symmetrically on both sides.

When I pulled the cover forward of the rails (although instructions say to lay it flush with the rails), I could barely get it to latch. With the cover flush, everything got out of wack and nothing would fit correctly.

On top of that, the rail only on one side was too long and wouldn't allow me to close the tailgate. I have the factory spray in liner. I did not remove the small foam pad on the front bracket as instructions only said to do this for drop-in liners.

I ended up taking everything off because I couldn't even close my tailgate.

Any suggestions?

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ugh. Wish I saw this thread earlier. Spent a few hours installing, removing, installing this thing because it wouldn't latch evenly.

Although I'm not sure that's loosening the latch will completely solve my issue. Instead of making a new thread, I'll post my issues here.

I cannot get the cover to sit evenly on the rails. Tightened the rail bolts to 10 ft/lbs as indicated on the instructions, but I still could not get the cover to track symmetrically on both sides.

When I pulled the cover forward of the rails (although instructions say to lay it flush with the rails), I could barely get it to latch. With the cover flush, everything got out of wack and nothing would fit correctly.

On top of that, the rail only on one side was too long and wouldn't allow me to close the tailgate. I have the factory spray in liner. I did not remove the small foam pad on the front bracket as instructions only said to do this for drop-in liners.

I ended up taking everything off because I couldn't even close my tailgate.

Any suggestions?

I took off my cover yesterday to haul my new couch, and has this problem upon reinstall. You need to slide the whole thing forward some. The front bolts should be kinda loose so they can track in the groove

bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took off my cover yesterday to haul my new couch, and has this problem upon reinstall. You need to slide the whole thing forward some. The front bolts should be kinda loose so they can track in the groove

Thanks for the input. But I tried this as well. Left bolts loose and the only way to even get close to latching the cover was to slide it forward instead of keeping it flush with the rails as per the instructions.