Baja Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not talking about accelerating onto highways.

Go fast off-road and use the paddles to make frequent 2-3; 3-4; 4-3-2 shifts and I think you'll see what I'm talking about - sometime the transmission reacts immediately, other times not so much. The lack of consistency is a huge nuisance when you're scooting from corner to corner.

Yeah, I have had this behavior in all modes; it is one of the biggest complaints I saw a lot of the early reviewers give (both owners and full-time reviewers). I haven't quite figured it out, tho it has gotten better over time for me.

Youd be wrong and youre clearly just speculating.

Changing mode changes the steering mode, the tranny shifting, the throttle, boost, anti-lag, traction control, stability control, and the ABS.

Braking alone, you can clearly tell a difference by testing stopping distance on dirt in the different modes.

Again your lack of understanding the discussion causes you to make inane statements.* We're talking specifically about manual shifting here, and in fact, it makes no difference** whatsoever mode to mode. You can make normal mode act exactly like sport mode by using the paddle shifters, minus the steering changes of course.

While using paddle shifters in Baja, I was able to get extra engine braking, stay where I wanted it to be in the power band, and also get better gas mileage (which was crucial, because I barely made it back to a gas station). Ended up getting about 11.5 mpg vs 9 or 10, which made the difference.

On the road tho, the auto generally is always better. I sometimes switch to paddles if I want to get sport mode performance without switching to sport mode.

*Speaking of xrocket21, I'm still waiting for you to give me the breakdown of exactly what adjustments are done by hitting/holding the TC button in the Offroad modes, and how they compare to Sport mode settings. Is sport mode + hold = baja + hold, as least as far as intervention settings go? What about sport + press vs baja + press?

** Actually, it does make a *slight* difference. Since mode selection affects shifting performance (ie sport mode shifts are quicker and more crisp) you'll notice a slight variation is quickness of response when using the paddles. Still, the inconsistent behavior remains throughout all the modes.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Youd be wrong and youre clearly just speculating.

Changing mode changes the steering mode, the tranny shifting, the throttle, boost, anti-lag, traction control, stability control, and the ABS.

Braking alone, you can clearly tell a difference by testing stopping distance on dirt in the different modes.

Can you tell a difference in shift speed with the transmission in manual, and drive modes changed, yes or no?

I’ve tried it, I’m not speculating, and I’m not seeing a difference. Note that I’m not saying there are no other differences - braking, stability, etc. by switching drive modes, I’m only characterizing manual shift mode shift speed.

Where there -is- a difference is gear lockout. If you are not shifted into manual mode, and try to use gear lockout as a downshift / upshift mechanism, you’re definitely going to be disappointed. But in manual mode, I haven’t seen it behave inconsistently nor have I felt the transmission shift differently while in manual shift mode, by changing the truck’s drive modes.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Curious about terrain modes changing the braking. I haven't seen that mentioned in any of Ford's literature. After rereading the owner's manual, it doesn't mention adjustments to braking. Just stability control and traction control, which as far as I'm aware of are separate systems from ABS even though all three use braking to do their job. I would think disabling or altering ABS and changing the brake feel deserves a mention of its own if the truck was doing that. Does anyone know where I can read about modes affecting braking?

By habit I modulate the brakes myself to avoid ABS and don't ever recall trying to lockup the wheels in an off-road mode on the dirt. Gives me something to experiment with next time.

From the owner's manual:

Terrain Control

PRINCIPLE OF OPERATION

The Terrain Management System delivers a driving experience through a suite of sophisticated electronic vehicle systems. These systems optimize steering, handling and powertrain response. This provides a single location to control multiple systems performance settings.

Changing the drive mode automatically changes the functionality of the following systems:

• Electronically power-assisted steering system adjusts steering effort and feel based on the mode you select.
• Electronic stability control and traction control maintains your vehicle control in adverse conditions or high performance driving.
• Electronic throttle control enhances the powertrain response to your inputs.
• Transmission controls are optimized with shift schedules tuned to each terrain.
• Transfer case; automatically engages specific 4WD modes and raises or lowers torque output depending on selected terrain mode. (See Terrain Mode availability table below).
• Electronic Locking Differential; engages automatically during certain terrain modes.

Note: Do not use electronic locking differential on dry, hard surfaced roads. Doing so will produce excessive noise, vibration and increase tire wear. See Electronic Locking Differential (page 18).

Using the Terrain Management System

The Terrain Management System automatically tailors your vehicle configuration for each mode you select.

To change the drive mode setting, press the drive mode button on the steering wheel.
Note: Mode changes are not available when the vehicle ignition is off.

On-Road Modes

Normal Mode - For everyday
driving. Normal mode is a perfect balance of excitement, comfort and convenience.

Sport Mode - For aggressive on-road driving. Sport mode increases throttle response, provides a sportier steering feel, along with quicker shifting. The transmission also holds gears longer, helping your vehicle accelerate faster when shifting gears.

Weather Mode - For less than ideal road conditions, such as snow or ice covered roads. Weather mode inspires confidence without taking away from driving pleasure. Weather mode automatically engages 4x4 Auto, lowers throttle response and optimizes shifting for slippery surfaces.

Off-Road Modes

Mud/Sand Mode - For navigating tight trails and over obstacles. Mud/Sand mode automatically engages 4x4 High and the electronic locking differential for improved off-road capability, and provides a comfortable steering feel.

Rock Crawl Mode - For optimum rock-climbing ability. Rock mode prompts you to put your vehicle in 4x4 Low and automatically engages the electronic locking differential. Rock Crawl mode optimizes the throttle and transmission response to provide you additional control of your vehicle.

Baja Mode - For high speed off-road driving. Baja mode automatically engages 4x4 High and optimizes the throttle for more power to give you improved control of your vehicle.

Note: If you select the Mud and Sand, Baja or Rock mode, the traction and stability control performance degrades and the warning indicator illuminates in the instrument cluster.

Note: The Terrain Management System has diagnostic checks that continuously monitor the system for proper operation. Certain drive modes will not be available based on gear shifter position. If a mode is unavailable due to a system fault, the mode defaults to Normal.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Curious about terrain modes changing the braking. I haven't seen that mentioned in any of Ford's literature.

That's crazy it isn't. I can't pull up the Gen 1 supplement right now but I am fairly certain it is mentioned there.

The difference in braking is the major point they emphasize to people at Raptor Assault.

You can see the differences between normal and Mud/Sand in my video here:
https://youtu.be/o-GgAqD2fYk

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's crazy it isn't. I can't pull up the Gen 1 supplement right now but I am fairly certain it is mentioned there.

The difference in braking is the major point they emphasize to people at Raptor Assault.

You can see the differences between normal and Mud/Sand in my video here:
https://youtu.be/o-GgAqD2fYk

I sent my wife to Raptor school so she would be comfortable with the truck. I'll have to ask her if she remembers them talking about that.

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They discuss it prior to the short course and then have you stomp the brake in the box to see how it affects stopping distance.

According to the instructors off-road modes reduces ABS intervention to increase lockup and Baja mode adjusts front/rear braking bias depending on speed. Haven't seen any of this confirmed in technical documentation, but the truck does stop shorter in dirt using the off-road modes vs normal.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you tell a difference in shift speed with the transmission in manual, and drive modes changed, yes or no?

I’ve tried it, I’m not speculating, and I’m not seeing a difference. Note that I’m not saying there are no other differences - braking, stability, etc. by switching drive modes, I’m only characterizing manual shift mode shift speed.

Where there -is- a difference is gear lockout. If you are not shifted into manual mode, and try to use gear lockout as a downshift / upshift mechanism, you’re definitely going to be disappointed. But in manual mode, I haven’t seen it behave inconsistently nor have I felt the transmission shift differently while in manual shift mode, by changing the truck’s drive modes.

I get what you are saying now, and agree, no difference in shifting.