Baja Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to try it out next time I am out there. Just get so used to staying in Sport mode. Do you guys use your paddles much or just stay in auto>?

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So when i go play in the dirt I usually put it in Sport with TC off and paddles.

What would be the benefit of using Baja or Mud/Sand mode?

I mentioned some of the things the drive modes change here: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/baja-mode-51061/index3.html#post1264143

Your braking will be worse in Sport mode (offroad) than in Mud/Sand or Baja. Acceleration will also be impaired as the shifting patterns and traction control systems will be set for tarmac, instead of dirt.

I would love to know exactly what the different modes + TC selection do, but without talking to the design engineers, we'll never know. Obviously, pressing the button reduces interference and holding the button turns it "off", but the offroad modes already greatly reduce TC to begin with.

I suspect Sport mode + press is more restrictive than Baja with TC on, and Sport + Hold is about the same as Baja + Hold, minus the other myriad of adjustments. Since the Gen 1 used this system as a "Beginner, Intermediate, Expert" system I suspect the same works here too.

That said, in Baja mode it takes a lot of work to get the TC to interfere, even if you haven't pressed the button. It only has done it once for us, after my wife (intentionally) fishtailed 45 degrees back and forth three times.

Capture.jpg

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mentioned some of the things the drive modes change here: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/baja-mode-51061/index3.html#post1264143

Your braking will be worse in Sport mode (offroad) than in Mud/Sand or Baja. Acceleration will also be impaired as the shifting patterns and traction control systems will be set for tarmac, instead of dirt.

I would love to know exactly what the different modes + TC selection do, but without talking to the design engineers, we'll never know. Obviously, pressing the button reduces interference and holding the button turns it "off", but the offroad modes already greatly reduce TC to begin with.

I suspect Sport mode + press is more restrictive than Baja with TC on, and Sport + Hold is about the same as Baja + Hold, minus the other myriad of adjustments. Since the Gen 1 used this system as a "Beginner, Intermediate, Expert" system I suspect the same works here too.

That said, in Baja mode it takes a lot of work to get the TC to interfere, even if you haven't pressed the button. It only has done it once for us, after my wife (intentionally) fishtailed 45 degrees back and forth three times.

View attachment 99633

nearly the entire point of the Raptor Assault program is to explain these modes, then run the different modes to compare. Its free with the truck, you just need to pay air and hotel. Saying "I would love to know exactly what the different modes + TC selection do, but without talking to the design engineers, we'll never know." is a bit of a stretch...

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ yes but not everyone has the time to do the Raptor Assault class. I was signed up for it this month but am going to Cabo for a week instead for my Bday. Most of us just learn on the fly and by trying it out as we drive.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
nearly the entire point of the Raptor Assault program is to explain these modes, then run the different modes to compare. Its free with the truck, you just need to pay air and hotel. Saying "I would love to know exactly what the different modes + TC selection do, but without talking to the design engineers, we'll never know." is a bit of a stretch...

The raptor assault instructors don't know either. I was most looking forward to this aspect of the class - being able to ask advanced questions to them - and was quite disappointed. Only John had answers for me, and even then he was going off what he thought. He generally agreed with all my assessments, but didn't know for sure.

I even have myself asking one of the instructors a question on a video, and he knew less than the manual describes.

But I am curious, since you know - how does the Baja levels of TC compare? per the manual, TC is off when you go into Baja mode, so what, if anything, does hitting the TC button do? What about holding? (I know the answer based on experience). How does that compare to Mud/Sand? Sport mode? Rather than claiming the answers are answered, answer them.

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you’re probably being to aggressive and not realistic enough with your gear selection.

I'm not talking about accelerating onto highways.

Go fast off-road and use the paddles to make frequent 2-3; 3-4; 4-3-2 shifts and I think you'll see what I'm talking about - sometime the transmission reacts immediately, other times not so much. The lack of consistency is a huge nuisance when you're scooting from corner to corner.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I haven’t had enough off road time to test out paddling in the dirt. That, and I thought using them first on the street would eliminate some variability.

I’m not convinced “mode” matters much when shifting manually; that is, normal, as opposed to sport or m+s, etc. If there’s a difference, i was not able to appreciate it. The shifts up and down seemed just as quick normal to sport.

There’s other aspects to drive modes, I understand but just from a shifting POV, I didn’t appreciate any significant change.

Now, that said, I’ve not had it hang shift on me, unless I was in sport mode, when the truck does that on purpose. Never in manual. I think I understand what you’re drawing attention to. I will have to give the paddles another go.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not talking about accelerating onto highways.

Go fast off-road and use the paddles to make frequent 2-3; 3-4; 4-3-2 shifts and I think you'll see what I'm talking about - sometime the transmission reacts immediately, other times not so much. The lack of consistency is a huge nuisance when you're scooting from corner to corner.

Are you sure you're not asking the truck to downshift when it would over-rev the engine? It will delay a downshift to prevent engine damage.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven’t had enough off road time to test out paddling in the dirt. That, and I thought using them first on the street would eliminate some variability.

I’m not convinced “mode” matters much when shifting manually; that is, normal, as opposed to sport or m+s, etc. If there’s a difference, i was not able to appreciate it. The shifts up and down seemed just as quick normal to sport.

There’s other aspects to drive modes, I understand but just from a shifting POV, I didn’t appreciate any significant change.

Now, that said, I’ve not had it hang shift on me, unless I was in sport mode, when the truck does that on purpose. Never in manual. I think I understand what you’re drawing attention to. I will have to give the paddles another go.

Youd be wrong and youre clearly just speculating.

Changing mode changes the steering mode, the tranny shifting, the throttle, boost, anti-lag, traction control, stability control, and the ABS.

Braking alone, you can clearly tell a difference by testing stopping distance on dirt in the different modes.