GEN 2 Bad smell in AC system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appears you should have addressed your condensate line issue..... and OldFart will never give up. ;^)

No. See my post #43 above...I went through it all/tried everything, and finally got Ford to admit there was a problem/split a fix with me. Decided to sell the truck before then.

Last edited:

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How many times are you going to make this same, lame/"stale" joke? This is a legitimate issue on many of these trucks, and contributed to me getting rid of mine.
I figure I'm good for another 20 times, minimum. It all depends on the weather, and the mood of my goats.

Appears you should have addressed your condensate line issue..... and OldFart will never give up. ;^)

:gr_grin:

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lysol into the cowl area intake with the vent on blast has fixed every stinky A/C problem I've come across. Even easier with the cabin air filters, yank that and spray directly into the box.

OP
OP
Edbert

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No wet carpet on mine, I believe the mildew is inside the evaporator box. If I see condensation coming out below when I park after running AC for a while it means no clog right? Or maybe there's a partial clog?

I did replace the filter each summer, it helped for a short period of time, guessing when the charcoal was depleted. Never considered leaving it out though, hmmm.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No wet carpet on mine, I believe the mildew is inside the evaporator box. If I see condensation coming out below when I park after running AC for a while it means no clog right? Or maybe there's a partial clog?

I did replace the filter each summer, it helped for a short period of time, guessing when the charcoal was depleted. Never considered leaving it out though, hmmm.
If yours is like/as bad as mine was, it won't fix it. It's in the evaporator/coils. I would not run it without the cabin filter...then all that junk is just going into the system to react with whatever is already causing a problem.

noobacaine

Reaction score
Mold/mildew AC issues is very common across all manufactures.

Cabin air filters is usually not the cause of the issue so in my opinion its a waste of money. We use Frigi fresh at our shop. Works great for customers, but proper maintenance is key. Make sure drain tube isnt clogged, Turn AC off for a few minutes, run some heat with your AC on. I've found with all or any of these steps will help greatly to reduce or eliminate mold mildew issue. I've been doing these steps for 20+ years never had an AC problem. My parents don't, and at some point every single car they've owned had mold/mildew issues.
i put anti microbial dish soap in the hood vents and sprayed water and let it bubble up.

later sprayed some more water.

completely removed the bad smell and it didn’t come back.