Back lit SVT - there's a small problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OUTCAST

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without pulling my Head light out I can't tell you the wire color I tapped off but I used the + / - of the side markers. I tapped into them with Swenco positive lock screw tap so I wouldn't have to strip wires and removal, if I ever choose to completly remove it, would be nothing more than unscrewing and putting a rap of tape on it.

I took the +/- leads of the inverter and tapped directly into the marker circuit on the Drivers side away from the battery so I'd have more room to work.

Mounted the inverter behind the head light to the under side of the fender to keep it protected from water. Ran a lead inside the fender well to the vent.

Snipped the connectors off and directly spliced the EL lead and a long wire for the EL lead on other side of the truck.

Tucked it in the same place as justincrediblem but put the plastic wire wrap on the exposed wire to make it "factory"

Same concept as above but since my EL tape is neither Amber or Red and would not be confused as a marker light, I shouldn't need to turn them off for any Police officers.

Wanted to save my switches for something that draws more amps

Jake Y.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but how on earth did you guys get the hot wires connected to the pass through wires under the dash? there's no room in there!

OP
OP
OUTCAST

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't pass any thing through the dash.Look up at #21, johnthedrummer did a good write up and would paste the link but ain't smart enough to figure out how to do it, but you can pull it up from threads started by him.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok///so im a bit confused cause i thought the wires for the switches are at the engine compartment? I thought they were there so in cause you need to wire in new lights, winch and so on...i dont remember seeing any wires that lead back to the switches when i dropped the glove box, but i will check again....

seems simple, but what makes it difficult is finding a location to wire it to...basically to turn it on and off. I personally like the switch option, just in case one goes out...i dont have one on without the other.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
up never mind, i guess the wires in the engine compartment are just "dead" wires that were placed by ford...and the switches are 12VDC behind the glove compartment? I guess i better break out the voltmeter and do some continuity checks as well. does that sound right?

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wires are behind the kick panel next to the glove box... The Raptor owner's manual supplement explains the color coding, etc...

Or go here:

http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthread.php?148-Upfitter-Aux-Switch-Wiring-Explained

Thanks Mark! thats what i was looking for...and from the looks of things, i want to go with the 10A...as i will leave the 30A switch for like a winch, or running lights...these little guys shouldnt draw more than a few amps..without a short of course LOL

seems easy as sin then to wire, except the fact seemed really tight to get in there, but im sure there might be a way to gain better access. Red to Brown it is...i better disconnect the battery first and foremost, or remove the fuse....

I was going to just isolate the hot wires from the dead wires with a multimeter, but this is great info considering i was going to use switch 1!...that would have been a huge waste lol Now i got so much room for ideas on those switches....fun times are near ahead lol

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i did the mod today...didnt take too long, took me 2 hours to do. I basically tried water proofing everything that i installed...i still got some areas to cover or shrink wrap. i had to paint over the light tape...you can hardly see it in day light, so im hoping its brighter at night...i might have added too much paint, but i didnt want it to look pink either...you can still see a tint of pink...so i guess we will see how it all pans out tonight when i turn them on. But thanks guys, all the info on here made it a breeze...i also took apart two of the side panels to access those wires underneath the glove box...made it ohhh a whole lot easier lol I will snap pics to show what to pull out and where its easier to access.