Auto Octane tune for gen 3!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zachery55

Reaction score
I dont understand why this turned into an argument or a “call out session”. Why is it relevant what the tune is called? How it achieves its octane flexibility is the same as OEM, possibly even more sensitive - whats the harm done here?

As someone WHO ACTUALLY HAS THIS TUNE INSTALLED and paid out of pocket for it - it’s fantastic! I exclusively run 93 octane as well but what if i loan my truck to a friend?? Or im way out in the woods and only 87 is available? Will it bump the knock sensor like it would on the OEM tune and pull timing? Sure it will! Will i be dogging it when it does? No!!! To be clear, I hope to never use 87 octane, but if i have to, im likely somewhere where i dont want to reflash, and I welcome the OEM knock retard.

Names aside, the truck is way faster, shifts better and has no issues post-flash…. It’s a great product and I’m extremely satisfied - it amazes me that people get so upset over things like a name.

As I’ve said above - the tune is great, the service, delivery and follow through were great. My ECU never left my truck and im making big power over OEM. I liked it so much I even purchased the stage 2 variant for when I upgrade to a full size FMIC vs the stock loc whipple I have currently…

Ignore these griefers - and carry on the good work, Gearhead and HammerBuilt.. I appreciate you providing a product that made my truck accelerate faster and shift better.

I’m sure the other competitors tunes are great too - I don’t know which one is better, I don’t care - I know which one gave me the ability to install with the ECU remaining in the truck and also allows me to flash back to stock on a whim.

Keep selling these for new vehicle releases please, I’ll buy another one for my next truck… You can call that one auto octane too…
Can you do some times with it? Maybe like a video or something? Just be nice to really see it in action since as far as I’m aware there isn’t a single video yet.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why is it relevant what the tune is called?
It's relevant because it convinces people who are not savvy with engines and tuning to spend their money with one company thinking they have some special feature in their tune- but in reality that's not the case. Any tuner can do the exact same thing. You can do it yourself if you purchase the tuning software and know anything about calibrating engine management.

There's nothing wrong with using it or buying it- but the marketing language is super shady.

MidLifeRaptor

Reaction score
I’m not going to start a huge debate about someone else’s product/tune naming choice, but I hardly think the marketing is “super shady”. Quite the opposite actually.

If there’s a selling point for this tune over the others it’s not having to mail off the ECU - and being able to flash a stock cal relatively fast out of your glovebox…. I was very familiar with knock sensors long before I owned a raptor, and I was fairly certain all the tuners kept them functioning to some degree to help avoid a mess if you got a bad batch of gas or otherwise went way out of tune etc. The fact that this tune keeps them in a nearly stock config or perhaps even more sensitive is quite desirable though - I’m sure you take a small horsepower penalty over the competitors due to not tuning specifically around an expected variable - but I’m perfectly fine with that! The truck scoots.

You mentioned all the other tuners could include the same base function, and I agree - however I don’t know if they do, and IF they do on request is there a larger horsepower penalty vs a tune designed that way from the ground up? I noticed gearhead tunes for similar power plants also pay respect to the turbo speed specifications, that’s also a bonus in my book.. if yall could get past forming opinions about the name there’s really a solid product here..

In addition, I take no issue with a person/company naming one of their flagship products after a somewhat unique feature - even if the base logic for said feature was on the truck from OEM in some form. Quite honestly, the purposeful mention of it and the deliberate inclusion of an “similar to stock” octane strategy is a selling point for me, even if it’s just a feel good measure as I’ll likely stay on 93 always..

If HammerBuilt and Gearhead were in here bashing the goosetune product or similar - I’d say all this warrants a debate, but I haven’t seen that.

Just my .02

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It's relevant because it convinces people who are not savvy with engines and tuning to spend their money with one company thinking they have some special feature in their tune- but in reality that's not the case. Any tuner can do the exact same thing. You can do it yourself if you purchase the tuning software and know anything about calibrating engine management.

There's nothing wrong with using it or buying it- but the marketing language is super shady.

I fail to see whats shady - as you said any tuner can do it. Some tuners just restrict that. Its not misleading, its not some “magic sauce” nobody else can accomplish. Its another feature thats completely useable that other tuners advise against with their tunes. Theres zero special about it, but its a feature so it is listed as something as you can do. Im not trying to convince anyone of anything youre listing, it just seems thats how youre interpreting it. Across all the platforms ive owned/tuned, not locking into an octane is a bonus considering a simple 20 mile drive west and gas is 91, and where I am/east its 93. So locations like here not being locked into an octane is a benefit.

Then again you seem to have something personal against it/us as youve also accused me of being on forums ive never been involved in.

maxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 91 octane max. in MT. Wondering what performance improvement I would see running everrything stock @91 octane with your Tune vs adding the S&B Intake with your Tune (which goosetuned is using in his 11 sec raptor)

also, I have the 37PP and a 2021

No interest in adding anything like intercooler, etc.

trying to decide between Cobb/Goose, JB4 and your tune.

thx

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter