AUDIO Gurus i need a little help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so i am trying some different things with my sub setup. i have a few questions.

-i wanted a box with 2-10" subs and a spot in the middle to mount my amp but i cant seem to find one. i need 24" in width and 4" in hieght for my amp. so my question is does anyone know of a box out there that would work for this? if not would i be able to fit an amp of that size behind the seats like i have seen some guys do? i am not sure if there is 4" of space back there....

-can someone point me toward some hard hitting, clean sounding 10" subs that have less than 5" mounting depth?? i dont care how much power they need to push them in fact the more the better. also looking to not spend a ton of money either. dont wanna go over $300 for the pair if possible.

looking at these so far
10W1v2-4 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Drivers - W1v2 - JL Audio
CompVT | KICKER
MB Quart Car Audio -- Reference RLP Subwoofers
http://audiobahn.com/index.php/products/woofers/sound-q
http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.php/products/subwoofers/item/sd-series.html?category_id=2

i will add as i research

-i currently am running 2-10" mtx 5500 thunder series subs in wedge boxes that fit like shit but it works for now. sounds really good and would keep the mtx's but they are over 6" deep in mounting depth and i cant find a box that will work. i dont even think anything could work for a 6" deep sub. i am running these MTX Thunder5500 T5510-04 10" 4-ohm subwoofer - Reviews at Crutchfield Outlet. if anyone can tell me how to make these work that would be the best option for me as it would probably be the cheapest.

if it helps i am running a slightley older version of this amp the A2200HCJ
Audiobahn High Current Amplifiers Achieves Advanced Power

i am open to any and all opinions, suggestions and hell even rants

Last edited:

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Do some research and find a good custom car audio shop in your area and they will build you a custom box for exactly what you want. And it'll be much better quality than something pre-fabbed that you found online.

Try searching your local area on Car Audio at CarAudio.com and see what you find out about shops in your area.

OP
OP
NickPic83

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yeah i have been thinking about making my own as it looks easy enough. maybe i will look into some of the local shops too.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
yeah i have been thinking about making my own as it looks easy enough. maybe i will look into some of the local shops too.

If you think you can tackle it, go for it. But I'd much rather have a shop do it. And depending on your budget for it, they could even do vinyl wraps with it, embroidery, lights, logos, you name it. Just some food for thought.

OP
OP
NickPic83

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you think you can tackle it, go for it. But I'd much rather have a shop do it. And depending on your budget for it, they could even do vinyl wraps with it, embroidery, lights, logos, you name it. Just some food for thought.

yeah i was already thinking about making a MDF box and then doing a carbon fiber vinyl on it.

u got any experience with any of these subs or a suggestion on another somewhat shallow sub? i am liking what i am seeing on the JL W1

Avmech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use the JL audio 13.5 flat piston subs. I run 2 of them Ina custom box under my seat. The amp I run is a JL audio 900 HD mounted to the back of the cab behind the seat. A mounting plate is epoxied to the cab and the amp is mounted to the plate. Clean install the shop I use is awesome and do massive custom work and is a JL audio 5star dealer. The shop is audiodriven.

OP
OP
NickPic83

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can use the JL audio 13.5 flat piston subs. I run 2 of them Ina custom box under my seat. The amp I run is a JL audio 900 HD mounted to the back of the cab behind the seat. A mounting plate is epoxied to the cab and the amp is mounted to the plate. Clean install the shop I use is awesome and do massive custom work and is a JL audio 5star dealer. The shop is audiodriven.

I really wanted to stay with 10's and the flat piston sub is over my budget.

Do u know how much space is behind the seat? Is it more than 4"?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Avmech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get an exact measure ment for you. I know my JL audio 900 hd and my crossover both fit back there and don't touch the seat.

OP
OP
NickPic83

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can get an exact measure ment for you. I know my JL audio 900 hd and my crossover both fit back there and don't touch the seat.

I think it will fit but its hard to tell. The amp has a flame design on it and top mounted fans that make it tall. If that fits I probably can move the amp back there and just buy a Supercrew sound box and smaller depth subs or just have a custom box made for the ones I have which are also a little too big and will be tough to fit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
this box should work

F-150 SUPERCREW 2-10" VENTED 2009-UP

i have the sealed enclosure for 2 10"s that they dont carry anymore. i havent used it yet, debating if i will since i absolutly love all the room i have in the crew. but the one i have is very well constructed and feels very solid, so i think the one i linked would be aswell.