Are there better options for pads and rotors then OEM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
More agressive pads nearly always have worse braking in cold conditions, and they will likely make noise until they are warmed up.

MZRaptor72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Offering an option I’ve used and currently have on my Gen 2… R1 Concepts. I’m not a fan of pad slapping but didn’t want replace calipers.., i like the drilled / slotted rotors… and they are beefy. The pads are heavy duty for Offroad and towing… i find them to be a significant improvement over OEM. Just an option… about $800 in parts.
1710293605103.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9316.jpeg
    IMG_9316.jpeg
    585.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9317.jpeg
    IMG_9317.jpeg
    548 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9318.jpeg
    IMG_9318.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9319.jpeg
    IMG_9319.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 6

STHenry

Reaction score
I ran alcon on my gen 2, wilwoods on my gen 3. If wilwoods were out when I had my gen 2 id of 100% done them.

Nothing wrong with Alcons. I to this day said they were the #2 best mod on my gen 2 after leafs. But $3700 vs $1600 is a huge price gap and having run both, the difference is minimal at best. Yet alone the new pad/rotor cost is also about a 4x difference between the two brand.

Agreed 99% of owners wouod get by off of a rotor/pad (i highly endorse stainless lines as well) swap. Brakes may not be a fun modification for most, or “necessary”. But my day job is in the insurance world and the amount of times an accident couldve been avoided within just a few feets pretty impressively high.
I picked up the wilwoods from Hammerbuilt for my Gen 2 and they made a huge difference. My wife did not like driving the truck in traffic with the stock setup but once the Wilwoods were installed she took the truck to Los Angeles for a work trip with zero complaints. The wilwoods just work better.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I am just going with OEM as everything else looks like chinesium crap, but throwing this out for 1 last recommendation.

Rotated the tires this weekend and I am 1/16th of an inch from the wear makers touching the rotors. New pads an rotors needed within the month.
I have 2018 with EBC yellow stuff pads, and Ultimate Slotted rotors front & back with SS front brake hoses....all made in USA or UK, made a nice improvement over power, pedal response and overall braking performance without having to go to a BBK.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Considering at 60 mph you are traveling 88 feet per second, those braking test videos are a joke. 1/10 of 1 second is 8 feet. Easily manipulated

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering at 60 mph you are traveling 88 feet per second, those braking test videos are a joke. 1/10 of 1 second is 8 feet. Easily manipulated
Hate to sound like a dad teaching a 16 year old how to drive, but reaction time and follow distance are ultimately the best brake mods you can make. I wouldn't mind a little more bite and a firmer pedal though.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All the videos I have seen, have the antilock brake system activated and they claim shorter stopping distance. I call BS on that.
One of the kits, maybe all, remove the rotor rock guard which would surely increase cooling and reduce brake fade. Add the SS brake line to add a bit more sensitivity
A braking test that launches the antilock brake system is no more than a tire traction test.