Are my Stock Shox worth anything?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes im in South Lake Tahoe... They arn't in the best shape if anyone wants shocks right now by all means grab Stans. (even though I was thinking the same thing, thanks Corona.) I have an opportunity to get a screamin deal hopefully on the new fox 3.0's front and considering going full 4.0's through the bed in the rear maybe with the svc mounting kit? Anybody have any insight on this? Opinions? Once this is all done I'd let the fox's go for super cheap just not there yet.
shit. full on prerunner status huh? 4.0 is a big upgrade. you able to use all of it?

OP
OP
Milertimeraptor
Reaction score
"able to use all of it...." only if I need to hop some curbs or dodge some grandma's at my local shopping center in the middle of the week! On weekends I mostly just sit at home so I keep the miles off my truck.

"I live in Tahoe" cant use it here where else could I?

I don't actually know the stipulations of running this big of setup i'm brainstorming, if I need to go full long travel, or if mid travel would still work with less modification. Maybe ill make a new post about options or opinions since it seems a little off topic, but way cooler then what I could get for my shocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Milertimeraptor
Reaction score
Anyways, semi corroded, never serviced, pristine, 120k fox shox what we thinking here boys... obv they can be rebuilt for a new owner.
homie is asking $600 and they still need to be serviced...
im not asking that and they still need to be serviced, so what's the difference?

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda depends on the corrosion, if the shafts are ok, worst case scenario is caps and bodies, those are pretty cheap and you can get them from like Kartek. Rockauto has new fronts without spring for $390 a pop so...they oughta be worth $300-400 at least.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yes im in South Lake Tahoe... They arn't in the best shape if anyone wants shocks right now by all means grab Stans. (even though I was thinking the same thing, thanks Corona.) I have an opportunity to get a screamin deal hopefully on the new fox 3.0's front and considering going full 4.0's through the bed in the rear maybe with the svc mounting kit? Anybody have any insight on this? Opinions? Once this is all done I'd let the fox's go for super cheap just not there yet.
4.0s sound cool but you’ll likely break something else on the truck before being able to use them to their full potential. Even if planning for ether future to run a full linked rear you are going to pair them with 3.0 coil overs so still prob never really be able to get everything out of them, I’d stick to 3.0s/3.5s and add that money to other parts.

Even if you live in Moab in a sand hut the truck has limitation greater than a 4.0 shock do not sure it’s worth the extra.

OP
OP
Milertimeraptor
Reaction score
thanks for the info, considering this think I may just stick with the 3.0's. Still not sure if I want to make the commitment of cutting the bed and loosing cargo area for my bikes

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had barely used king 3.5's and a used bypass rack and decided against cutting the bed so I sold them.

Really just three under-bed ways.

1. Upgrades for stock mounts.

2. RST16 which is under the bed on the left and tubbed in on the right. https://www.rpgoffroad.com/product/rst16/

3. Cantilever rear https://www.bajakits.com/i-26932356...lever-race-kit-rear.html?ref=category:1339646

I've got deavers, SVC track bars and SVC ABS with king bump stops in now.. ith a good welding machine and skills... well... #2 or #3 but home fabbed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Milertimeraptor
Reaction score
I had barely used king 3.5's and a used bypass rack and decided against cutting the bed so I sold them.

Really just three under-bed ways.

1. Upgrades for stock mounts.

2. RST16 which is under the bed on the left and tubbed in on the right. https://www.rpgoffroad.com/product/rst16/

3. Cantilever rear https://www.bajakits.com/i-26932356...lever-race-kit-rear.html?ref=category:1339646

I've got deavers, SVC track bars and SVC ABS with king bump stops in now.. ith a good welding machine and skills... well... #2 or #3 but home fabbed.

dude! thank you this is what i'm talking about! I was thinking maybe going the "svc abs" route but now looking at that "rst16" its got me thinking... is it capable of longer travel shocks with the mounts relocated higher?
i'm going to start a different post on my dream build and everyone can maybe collaborate. Once its all figured out ill pull the trigger I can fab up parts too if need be through a buddy.
Also after seeing that Cantilever Rear setup would I be able to use the same 3.0's if I upgraded the shocks first? Could I install the Cantilever rear with the same upgraded 3.0's or would I have to buy new ones for the added long travel suspension if I were to up grade to that setup later?
The rst16 doesn't look compatible with the cantilever rear and the svc abs does? Thoughts and opinions which is better?

-New post for this topic!-
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/dream-build-lets-all-collaborate.82600/

Last edited:

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude! thank you this is what i'm talking about! I was thinking maybe going the "svc abs" route but now looking at that "rst16" its got me thinking... is it capable of longer travel shocks with the mounts relocated higher?
i'm going to start a different post on my dream build and everyone can maybe collaborate. Once its all figured out ill pull the trigger I can fab up parts too if need be through a buddy.
Also after seeing that Cantilever Rear setup would I be able to use the same 3.0's if I upgraded the shocks first? Could I install the Cantilever rear with the same upgraded 3.0's or would I have to buy new ones for the added long travel suspension if I were to up grade to that setup later?
The rst16 doesn't look compatible with the cantilever rear and the svc abs does? Thoughts and opinions which is better?

-New post for this topic!-
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/dream-build-lets-all-collaborate.82600/

F166494952.jpg

Bumpstops are part of the Baja kits cantilever.