Anyone want to own up to this one

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
How is this any different than driving in Canada? All our roads and highways are covered with salt or salt brine all winter long. From December to April your wipers are almost always on from the salt water spray from the car ahead of you. Imagine driving in a salt water rain storm almost every day for 4 months a year, that's what's it's like in northern climates and our cars do just fine.

That's why I would never buy a used car from a place it snows. Driving through salt water rain and parking your car in 3ft of salt water for a couple hours are a little different.

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After last winter in Germany I finally washed my truck after driving through salt and snow for 3 weeks. I started seeing small rust colored circles on my white paint. There had to be at least 50 on each side. Came off with a delicate hand and a softened up wet green scrub pad. No paint scratches or swirls.

-----
Sent from my iPhone thingy

EternalChampion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks. Nearly had that happen to me before in the Outerbanks. Nothing like getting stuck in soft sand with the tide getting ready to roll in to ruin your Christmas.

DynoDynge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you notice that in the picture the tide has gone out since he got stuck. That river gets deep in spots & from the looks of the buried wheels, it was there when the tide went out. It's toast.

SoSmoked

changes his exhaust setup more than his underwear
Reaction score
I live in Ventura area and that's in Oxnard if I'm not mistaken. Same general area. I'm guessing he was crossin to that island when the tide was much lower, that pic was taken after some tide rise?

If not then that driver has some balls for charging that. Also it looks like he had to have made it to that sand island and on the way back was stuck.

Hope the owner chimes in

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Huh. I hear what you guys are saying, but lets (for the sake of argument) say that the wave front never crested over 30", and that the tide is as it is shown in the picture... basically lets pretend what we see is how it went down and that he was out of there in a reasonable amount of time.

Ya really think that's a total? If salt water was so devastating, wouldn't the Raptor supplement call out "Fresh" water in its section regarding "Water wading"? Seems to me the Ford lawyers would be much smarter than to leave off the word "fresh" and/or a warning about salt water, and leave themselves wide open to lawsuit for just having said "water"?

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

Oh and if that's seaweed... yah, dude's done for :p

Recipe for inadvertent salt water bath? Take a fresh water bath right after!
And I've had a waterline over my headlights more than once with no ill effects (20,00 miles ago) except the alternator got all dirty.

At minimum both diffs and transfer case need their fluid replaced, motor oil needs to be replaced, all the bearings should be checked. As far as the trans its needs to be taken out and pulled apart for inspection to insure at the clutch packs didn't get wet.

x2^ Well, maybe the tranny is a bit of overkill - but you are a tech and I'm not - but I definitely second the fluids being dumped. That will also give you an idea of how 'sealed' things were...

How is this any different than driving in Canada? All our roads and highways are covered with salt or salt brine all winter long. From December to April your wipers are almost always on from the salt water spray from the car ahead of you. Imagine driving in a salt water rain storm almost every day for 4 months a year, that's what's it's like in northern climates and our cars do just fine.

Agreed, for the most part northern cars do well in the salted conditions, although as someone else posted somewhere, the resale value can be affected.
The difference between salty spray and a saltwater bath is immersion can cause moisture to enter places spray could never reach. A faulty vent tube on the rear diff, a torn CV boot, or a number of 'sealed' items under there can be affected by a bath much more than just spray.

And as for the "hose it off when I get home" - well it's minus 14C here right now, so I may have to wait til April for the hose to thaw out...:)

Fast Willy

Reaction score
Wouldnt you be more concerned with water going up into the exhaust and possibly the intake than anything else? I understand the hole salt and rust thing but for the most part if the salt is washed off right away you should be somewhat safe. Also I'm wondering if water got into the interior at all. The electrical components is what I would be worried about.

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Ventura area and that's in Oxnard if I'm not mistaken. Same general area. I'm guessing he was crossin to that island when the tide was much lower, that pic was taken after some tide rise?

If not then that driver has some balls for charging that. Also it looks like he had to have made it to that sand island and on the way back was stuck.

Hope the owner chimes in

I live in Ventura County, and that does look like Oxnard. There are lots of Raptors around here, but a black Raptor with hard tonneau cover (bak flip?) might stand out. Is that a 6.2 emblem on the fender?