Anyone tried hauling 12' lumber?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Krakauer

Reaction score
This might have already been resolved, but I've had bad experiences w/ long trim and a (long bed) pickup prior to my Raptor ... hit a bump, and literally blew up about $150 crown molding over the top of the tailgate. ******* mess.

Since that day, I've done this (link):

Basically a slip knot w/ the ratchet strap at the tailgate end, and then a 2x4 brace at the top of the bed supported by short 2x4 vertical brace towards the cab (keeps the lumber from pogoing). If you're only grabbing a piece or 2, prob overkill ... but if it's a bunch this is good. I also add that if you're transporting flimsy lumber or molding ... I've got a spare longer 2x4 I keep around to act as a support and then strap the flimsy pieces to the 2x4.

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done 20' trim but stuck it inside through the rear slider. Anything over 12' sucks with the tailgate up. I need a bunch of 10' plywood for my garage and was looking at some alternatives. There are several options on Amazon for an extender/bracket that goes in the trailer hitch. They aren't too expensive and look like they'd work well.

https://www.maxxhaul.com/70231

Panaraptor

Reaction score
Need to pick up some 12' 4x4's and 2x4's. Guessing someone here has successfully gotten home without losing the load. Looking for tailgate-down solutions.

I built a contraption out of 2x2 square steel tubes that connects to the trailer hitch and has a support to carry long items. Works great. I’ll build a ladder rack soon which will be even more handy.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much depends on how far you have to go and how many idiots on the road you'll encounter, but enough counterweight and a few straps and you're good to go heh. Needed a few 2x8x16's for deck toprails last year, used spare and strapped in "X" pattern using bed bolt Mopar tiedown rings:
20190928_101222.jpg
Earlier this year buncha 1x6x12's, same deal (only a couple miles to lumber store, not a lot of traffic out here heh):
61496792452__B0168B31-560D-4391-9C89-F804DAD9335C.JPG

WillP

Reaction score
I hauled some 12’ and 8’ 6x6’s without a bed extender with no problems. I did stack the 8’a on top of the 12’. With a bed extender I hauled some 2x10x16’ !!

dilmorecg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do this fairly frequently and like a lot of responses I do tailgate up, strapped down and/or something heavy on the inside of the boards. I have no problem with it but HD is <5mins from my house on side roads so I dont worry about it too much.