Anyone paint their mirror caps? Or replace with pre-painted caps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think gloss black mirror caps would look good on my Oxford White Raptor. I tried to have my clearmask guy wrap them in black but he could not get the wrap tucked into the ultra tight junction between the white cap and the black plastic. He did not want to remove them for fear of breaking them based on what he read online.

I searched the forum but did not find anything specific. Has anyone removed their mirror caps and had them painted? Does anyone sell pre-painted mirror caps? How difficult are the mirror caps to remove? I see videos on line for F-150 cap removal, but they are not Raptor specific (different mirrors than I see in the videos).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Bassler

Reaction score
Been wondering this too. Think I'm going white flares and black mirrors (this 40% ceramic on all glass).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have them wrapped. I did that on my Platinum Super Duty.

Sam

wkasak_17Raptor

Reaction score
I removed and wrapped mine. They just pull off and there are a half dozen clips or so. There are a few clips that are directional so it helps if you know what direction to pull. Some will likely break but enough should remain for them to reattach just fine and you could supplement with some velcro/3M tape. There were enough that mine held tight...I even put some lubrication on the clips so they release easier if I need to take them off again. I tried wrapping them in one piece but it would not have lasted long term so I did them in two pieces and with my brand of wrap you can barely notice.

wkasak_17Raptor

Reaction score
Pics below. Pull cap out and towards the truck to have the best chance of breaking less clips. Last pic shows the seam location for long term durability so there are no wrinkles or pull back from being stretched too much.

20190615_180300.jpg

20190615_180254.jpg

20190615_180158.jpg

20190615_180146.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nickshu

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. After thinking about it more I think that a black wrap over a white background could be an issue...after a few rock chips I would expect white dots all over when any rock chip penetrates the wrap. So on Ebay I found a bunch of sellers with pre-painted mirror caps available. I ordered a pair in Tuxedo Black and will get them clear masked, then install. Thanks for the tips on getting the original covers off!

Cheers!