Anyone experience engine misfire/oil burning up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coffee710

Reaction score
Bought a 2018 raptor back in December, only 4500 miles, few things of concern and wondering if anyone else has or is dealing with these issues?

Weak start occasionally

High pitch squealing noise that comes from the truck even a few hours after the thing has been shut off

Misfire engine/regulator alarms - first noticed when accelerating and was at fifty and than did a sudden deceleration as if I hit the air brakes or downshifted from seventh gear to first back into seventh - does this randomly

Take it in obviously due to engine light coming on intermittently

Told my truck is consuming oil and they don’t know what’s going on

Running louder than when I first got it

Two months and told they don’t even know when I’m getting it back

diverdoc

Reaction score
Lossing oil and valve noise

I to get a random engine light coming and going. Hard acceleration sets it off then it clears over time. Ford app says misfire. I also experienced a low oil pressure. Had to add oil. Light reset itself. I just took it into the dealer for an oil change today and they said it was down 3 quarts of oil. I have no leaks and see no smoke in tail pipe. I do now have what sound like a lifter noise. The dealer wants me to drive it another 500 miles, then bring it back so they can confirm there is a oil problem. I wonder if it will blow up, or what type of long term damage is going to happen. I only have 6k on it.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man i cant believe all this !!! This motor has been out for years and its still hit and miss if you get a good one or a POS. Mine broke a valve spring at 150 miles. Its been a week and the parts arent here yet.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have spoken with a couple of people that complained about oil burn and rough idol. 2 things here to consider.
1. It is a turbo engine, needs time to warm up from a cold start. Best practice is to start the vehicle and let it get to temp before driving off. It is a pain but will keep the engine and turbos lubricated properly. Will lessen the chance of turbo failure and engine fatigue.
2. Misfire can be corrected with running new plugs. Turbos burn through plugs quick. I suggest going with the cooler running plugs like those in the GT. switched mine out and have not had rough idol since and I have a heavily modified engine.

It is hard to compare a turbo engine to a natural aspirated engine. They require a little more TLC and care when operating. Be prepared to do a little more maintenance than the older Gen1 V8.

7000 miles on mine with lots of engine mods and no issues. However, I do a lot of preventive maintenance on all my cars since they are all turbo. Hope this helps.

One last thing to consider is removing the ship start feature. I don’t know what engineer figured that it would be wise to add this to a performance turbo engine but he needs to have his ass beat for being stupid. That is the worst thing for these engines. Have that programmed out ASAP. That puts unnessacary strain on the cooling and lubricating system. Best to let it idol and circulate fluids.

Last edited:

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Sounds like a modem connecting or something. I to would like to know what it all about.