Anybody else over the new Raptor R already?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the big 3 all have the same market intelligence and have had it for a while. Ford has just been executing on this intelligence at a faster pace toward electrification IMO. Emission credit swapping between completely different industries is a thing and is a lucrative business.

Market intelligence would tell manufacturers to go direct and remove stealerships. Retail industry has seen this fate and it needs to evolve into the auto retail market. I know there is legacy laws in place to protect dealerships but if Tesla can do it, then Ford and others should too, no?

Sorry, I'm a bit bitter. My local dealership has gone very sour for me in the service department. It's been terrible.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
... I know there is legacy laws in place to protect dealerships but if Tesla can do it, then Ford and others should too, no?

Tesla started without any dealers. Much easier abstaining than trying to unscrew the vírgin.

Sorry, I'm a bit bitter. My local dealership has gone very sour for me in the service department. It's been terrible.

That seems to be happening a lot these days. It's the one reason I might not buy another Ford. The local dealer sucks and driving an hour or more for service just rubs me wrong, I'm píssed off the entire time.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With all that said I wouldn’t mind a 800 HP Raptor Hybrid eco boost with 4 helper electric motors, that recharge when ICE takes over at cruising speeds. With a 7500 tax credit.
I think you'd rather have 800ft-lb of torque, at the wheels of course, since that's what gives you quick acceleration. And since tax credits are a giveaway to the rich, I think I deserve a 75000 credit. It's only fair. And it's good for trees and makes Greta happy so there.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
And I don't think the R will ever be the vehicle you can "just buy used" down the road for a discount. It's going to be very exclusive. So in that regard, I'd argue that it's not even a TRX competitor. TRX is way more accessible.
Exactly and because of that, there are going to be a lot of consumers who are not brand loyalists who look at the 2 and go for the less expensive, relatively equal in statistics truck from the vendor with - let’s be honest, far more experience with high horsepower vehicles.

And let’s be honest, Ford does not exactly have a good track record with new models. Exp. ST, Bronco, Bronco Raptor, Lightning, Jen Tres Raptor... Raptor R? when was a that announced again? Dodge can actually deliver the TRX, as in they’re capable of taking an order, turning it around and producing the vehicle. Ford is not. Yeah, Jen Tres trucks are trickling out but significantly under previous years. They are so backlogged now, a portion of orders will never get fulfilled. I want them to succeed but am not optimistic.

I think the TRX will suffer the same fate as the charger/challenger supercharged variants within the next model year. Writing is on the wall IMO. If you want one I would start looking. Hope not.

Very likely true, the only question is when.

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tesla started without any dealers. Much easier abstaining than trying to unscrew the vírgin.

That seems to be happening a lot these days. It's the one reason I might not buy another Ford. The local dealer sucks and driving an hour or more for service just rubs me wrong, I'm píssed off the entire time.
You and me both. My area is dominated by a family network of like 15 dealerships. one is 10 mins away and they basically pushed me to their sister store that is 30 mins away (hour roundtrip) due to their lack of having a transmission tech. they don't get paid their full rate on warranty work and it's obvious because of how they blow me off constantly. It's awful.

OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford needs to wake up and see how people are getting soured on the brand because of the buying experience. The supply chain and productivity issues are one thing, but the dealership experience is the last step before taking delivery and it should not be the cluster hassle that it is. Then god forbid the day you have to return there for "service".

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford needs to wake up and see how people are getting soured on the brand because of the buying experience. The supply chain and productivity issues are one thing, but the dealership experience is the last step before taking delivery and it should not be the cluster hassle that it is. Then god forbid the day you have to return there for "service".
My Gen2 buying experience was actually really good. The GM at the time gave me $500 off MSRP in Aug 2016 which I really appreciated right before the nuttiness started with the ADM's on the Gen2. That GM then transferred to another dealership and it all went to hell. The service is just awful. Really soured me for the brand overall.

kenb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In late 2020 I found out that Ford would not make an extended cab Raptor anymore. Don't need, don't want, won't buy a 4 door truck. I was able to find a new 2020 Scab at a dealer in VA. (I am in Alabama). It was black and loaded with options. So I bought it at just over invoice. My third Raptor, 2012, 2018. I love the looks of the Gen2 much better than the Gen3. Just my personal opinion.

When I heard Ford was going to make a Raptor R I went to my local dealer where I had bought the first 2 and talked to the sales manager. He assured me I was #1 on the list and I could buy it at MSRP. Unfortunately they did not get an allocation (small dealer). I will not pay ADM. So I am happy with the SCAB I have. Paid for and has less than 2k miles. Since the "R" will be 4 door only I am less than enthused about having one. So to answer the topic header, yes I am about over all the hype and will be happy with what I have (also have a Challenger Hellcat Redeye to satisfy my V8 power cravings).

AC4400

Reaction score
I think you'd rather have 800ft-lb of torque, at the wheels of course, since that's what gives you quick acceleration. And since tax credits are a giveaway to the rich, I think I deserve a 75000 credit. It's only fair. And it's good for trees and makes Greta happy so there.

Excellent point on the torque and agreed. Honest question on the tax credit giveaway to the rich comment. I hear this a lot what’s the rich guy angle here I don’t know all the tax schemes people think up?

Under current IRS guidelines the adjusted gross income (AGI) amount to be able to get credit must be below $300,000. For a joint return.

The base (I’m assuming) vehicle cost must be less than $55,000 for a car and $80,000 for a Truck or SUV. Not all models will qualify for the max 7500 credit.

Only vehicles that have final assembly in North America qualify.

Batteries must be made with Minerals from Nations that have US Trade agreements and battery parts must be made in US, Canada, or Mexico.