Anybody else over the new Raptor R already?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Personally….aside from the fact I’ve never been a big fan of Ford’s V8s, w/ the amount of power you can get from the 3.5HO w/ just a tune &/or minor bolt-ons while still averaging 15-16mpg overall, & the fact it’s a huge ass truck that can only be pushed so hard on the street & off-road obviously the amount of power you can put down is also limited…..I just don’t see it being that much more impressive, how do I know? Im on my 2nd tuned gen2 & I’ve test driven the TRX a few times & my buddy has one….& exhaust not aside, my buddy’s stock TRX cannot take my tuned gen2 from a dig to 80, but admittedly does start slowly walking going WOT from a roll @ 80+ The R will be a bit faster than the TRX but not enough to really justify the price tag

It’s a big premium for a nice exhaust note & ****** gas mileage is what it comes down to

We are all spoiled w/ these trucks anyhow- my uncle borrowed my ‘20 Raptor & when he brought it back was like “wtf!?!? This thing is RIDICULOUS why on earth do you need a truck this fast” ahhahahaa

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally….aside from the fact I’ve never been a big fan of Ford’s V8s, w/ the amount of power you can get from the 3.5HO w/ just a tune &/or minor bolt-ons while still averaging 15-16mpg overall, & the fact it’s a huge ass truck that can only be pushed so hard on the street & off-road obviously the amount of power you can put down is also limited…..I just don’t see it being that much more impressive, how do I know? Im on my 2nd tuned gen2 & I’ve test driven the TRX a few times & my buddy has one….& exhaust not aside, my buddy’s stock TRX cannot take my tuned gen2 from a dig to 80, but admittedly does start slowly walking going WOT from a roll @ 80+ The R will be a bit faster than the TRX but not enough to really justify the price tag
what tune (and bolt ons) do you have? I’m genuinely curious.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It’s a big premium for a nice exhaust note & ****** gas mileage is what it comes down to

We are all spoiled w/ these trucks anyhow- my uncle borrowed my ‘20 Raptor & when he brought it back was like “wtf!?!? This thing is RIDICULOUS why on earth do you need a truck this fast” ahhahahaa
Well said titz, I agree completely

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
what tune (and bolt ons) do you have? I’m genuinely curious.
I just have Gearhead 93 octane + towing tunes & a ford performance air filter. That’s it. Aside from that I have a JLT catch can but that’s not a performance mod, everything else just lighting/aesthetic/pragmatic mods like rear/front spots, decals, builtright racks etc.

My truck made 426whp & 492rwtq on a mustang dyno. My ‘03 Corvette Z06 has made 718whp on the same dyno & is a manual (obviously) & has built engine/cam/****/fuel system/blower/full exhaust blah blah etc. I’m guessing the Raptors gained like 50-60whp @ 70-80rwtq over stock, this is a mustang dyno. No I don’t have sheet for the Raptor unfortunately (altho yes I do for Vette not that it helps) I just randomly dynoed the truck on a dyno day @ this speed shop & wasn’t “ready for it” b/c the guy who owns the shop @ a)hates ford, & b) has had a high HP truck(s) both lose a driveshaft & walk off his dyno in the past so he’s not keen on putting them on there & I wasn’t expecting to be able to.

I was honestly interested in getting goosetuned (still am) but I already have a BDX programmer & don’t wanna spend the $$$ on a Cobb + goose is expensive, I’m sure it’s good & probably better than my Gearhead tune since it’s more or less a “custom” tune w/ follow ups (from what I understand) but then I dynoed it & was like F it, this is plenty.

If I had to do it all over I’d probably go w/ goose…..but I was in unique position already invested in the GH tune/tuner on a 2018 truck that got totaled, GH retuned the 2020 for short $$$ ($200-$250 I think) & I already had the programmer

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just have Gearhead 93 octane + towing tunes & a ford performance air filter. That’s it. Aside from that I have a JLT catch can but that’s not a performance mod, everything else just lighting/aesthetic/pragmatic mods like rear/front spots, decals, builtright racks etc.

My truck made 426whp & 492rwtq on a mustang dyno. My ‘03 Corvette Z06 has made 718whp on the same dyno & is a manual (obviously) & has built engine/cam/****/fuel system/blower/full exhaust blah blah etc. I’m guessing the Raptors gained like 50-60whp @ 70-80rwtq over stock, this is a mustang dyno. No I don’t have sheet for the Raptor unfortunately (altho yes I do for Vette not that it helps) I just randomly dynoed the truck on a dyno day @ this speed shop & wasn’t “ready for it” b/c the guy who owns the shop @ a)hates ford, & b) has had a high HP truck(s) both lose a driveshaft & walk off his dyno in the past so he’s not keen on putting them on there & I wasn’t expecting to be able to.

I was honestly interested in getting goosetuned (still am) but I already have a BDX programmer & don’t wanna spend the $$$ on a Cobb + goose is expensive, I’m sure it’s good & probably better than my Gearhead tune since it’s more or less a “custom” tune w/ follow ups (from what I understand) but then I dynoed it & was like F it, this is plenty.

If I had to do it all over I’d probably go w/ goose…..but I was in unique position already invested in the GH tune/tuner on a 2018 truck that got totaled, GH retuned the 2020 for short $$$ ($200-$250 I think) & I already had the programmer
I’m just surprised to hear that you can hang with a stock TRX. My Gen 2 is a stage 2 Goosetuned on 93 octane with a Cobb FMIC, CAI, AMS turbo inlet pipes, Turbosmart BOV that according to Goose himself is supposed to put down 440 - 450 WHP.
But I would assume that I would be looking at TRX tail lights in any drag scenario. My truck certainly feels quick, I’m just going by the 150hp disadvantage. I have yet to meet a TRX on the street…

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m just surprised to hear that you can hang with a stock TRX. My Gen 2 is a stage 2 Goosetuned on 93 octane with a Cobb FMIC, CAI, AMS turbo inlet pipes, Turbosmart BOV that according to Goose himself is supposed to put down 440 - 450 WHP.
But I would assume that I would be looking at TRX tail lights in any drag scenario. My truck certainly feels quick, I’m just going by the 150hp disadvantage. I have yet to meet a TRX on the street…

Well I’m not sure the exact specs of my friends truck but it’s a 2021 TRX & I have posted another thread someplace here regarding weight- his is a heavy one, apparently there’s a wide delta between curb weight on the TRX depending on how it’s optioned, & my no monnroof no tailgate step no 802a gadgets ‘20 Raptor is definitely on the lighter end, I wouldn’t be surprised if between our 2 trucks there’s a 500 lbs weight diff & he’s got 60 lbs on me too lol, from a dig to 70-80 I’m ahead, but punching it from 70-80 it’s close for a sec then he starts pulling away

Take a look @ this TFL vid, tuned gen2 & TRX race @ 7 min mark, it’s damn close, & that Gen2 is on heavy ass non-OEM 37”s…..

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I’m not sure the exact specs of my friends truck but it’s a 2021 TRX & I have posted another thread someplace here regarding weight- his is a heavy one, apparently there’s a wide delta between curb weight on the TRX depending on how it’s optioned, & my no monnroof no tailgate step no 802a gadgets ‘20 Raptor is definitely on the lighter end, I wouldn’t be surprised if between our 2 trucks there’s a 500 lbs weight diff & he’s got 60 lbs on me too lol, from a dig to 70-80 I’m ahead, but punching it from 70-80 it’s close for a sec then he starts pulling away

Take a look @ this TFL vid, tuned gen2 & TRX race @ 7 min mark, it’s damn close, & that Gen2 is on heavy ass non-OEM 37”s…..

:lol: This is exactly right. I have a Goosetuned SCAB (e85 tune + typical add-on parts being IC, AMS boost tubes, HPFP, etc.) and have a buddy with a TRX and he cannot pull away from me. The weight of his TRX (fully optioned level 2 with sunroof) negates the HP/Torque advantage. Best part is I still get better gas mileage than him and I am running e85. I am not hating on the TRX, it's fun to drive too and if you change the pulley he's definitely gonna pull on me.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
:lol: This is exactly right. I have a Goosetuned SCAB (e85 tune + typical add-on parts being IC, AMS boost tubes, HPFP, etc.) and have a buddy with a TRX and he cannot pull away from me. The weight of his TRX (fully optioned level 2 with sunroof) negates the HP/Torque advantage. Best part is I still get better gas mileage than him and I am running e85. I am not hating on the TRX, it's fun to drive too and if you change the pulley he's definitely gonna pull on me.

TRX doesn’t really have a TQ advantage (esp w/ Gen3) probably more like a TQ deficit esp w/ that list of mods on a Gen2

Biggest issue I see w/ TRX is it’s already maxed out from an “everything else” standpoint- if the diffs/driveshaft/axles/torque converter/T-case etc etc etc we’re all up to task then guess what? It’d be a true 4WD truck that can be thrown into 2WD only.

Tell me any other reason they would’ve built it that way? They were more transparent w/ the trackhawk stating the AWD only setup & cutting TQ in lower gears is to keep costs down instead of grenading all the other drivetrain parts.

Maybe they should dig into the old Mopar parts bin & found the half shafts & diff from the SRT10 ram lol!