Any tips on how to prevent vehicle theft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
EagleRaptor

EagleRaptor

Reaction score
For vehicle _theft_ the casual thief isn’t going to have access to tools necessary to boost a late Model Raptor with the fancy electronic key fobs. Now, the well funded; aka, cartel backed thief will, but we’ll come back to that.

The real issue is how easy the F series trucks from about ’10 - ’22 are to break into. Literally, pull the driver’s door handle, twist the lock cylinder with a pair of channel locks, and you’re in. It takes literally less than 5 seconds if you don’t know what you’re doing. Under 2 if you’re practiced. There are a few prevention measures you can employ to prevent this stuff
- disconnect the lock cylinder
- shield the lock cylinder
- block the mechanism with shields.

all of these have some sort of drawback. There’s no benefit to busting the glass on an F series because they’re so easy to bust into via the door handle. But, you can get security coating instead of tint that adds some very challenging film to overcome with the typical glass breaker. They can still drill through and try to boost with a wire, but that’s a bit more time consuming.

Nobody pays attention to alarms, but, with a good set of rear facing lights - we’re talking squadron pros - something that will really **** off drivers behind them, you can up fitter wire them and leave the up fitter on when you leave the truck. Most thieves won’t look.

Alarm and tracker. bonus with remote disable.

Anywhere Austin and southward is at risk of a cartel bounty. You’re only a few hours from Mexico and Urban TX police departments do only this for stolen vehicles:
1) what’s your vehicle info
2) here’s your case number, call your insurance.

that’s it. Sure the VIN is now in the stolen database, but they’ve got tags to use to get them past casual observers.

Now, if you want this kind of shít to slow down some, the next time you catch a cop running stationary radar, film them. Post it to the web and then hit up some local news sites. “How many vehicles were stolen while this clown is making the world safe for terrorists”? Because that’s exactly what they’re doing. About a year ago a buddy of mine got his car broken into, and luggage stolen right in front of 3 or 4 SAPD sitting on their áss outside a bar. Couldn’t have been ... 25 yards from the crime, with direct view. He had literally just returned from overseas, hadn’t even been home yet, they busted his window, popped the lock and grabbed his bags. SAPD has just given up. If it’s stolen, too bad, so sad. I’ve seen other urban PD’s around S/A do similar and THIS is why you’re paying 25% more on insurance. There is literally no disincentive.

So long as there is a bounty on trucks and the urban PD’s aren’t actually doing a thing about it, this trend will get worse.
Start being vocal about insurance, and vehicle theft to your local .gov. Regularly.
Thank you for a well thought out reply, I agree. While, I am a few hours north of Austin there is for sure cartel related issues up here in DFW.

I suspect the 5 people I know with stolen trucks were all hit by more professional criminals with appropriate tools. My buddy's 2019 Sierra Denali was taken out of a Target parking lot in an upscale suburb of Dallas, it was caught on HD store video surveillance and literally stolen in 45 seconds after they pulled up next to it. Wild to actually see it. Cops did what you said. He was in the store for 10 minutes.

I know if a thief wants it they will get it, but it's really hard when you know you are on your own to protect your property in the urban areas around here.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn’t the horn wire for the alarm right behind the grill on the gen 2. I thought they just snip that wire and carry on.

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A significant number of professional thieves use tow trucks. Parking head in and cranking your wheels all the way to one side will mitigate, but not eliminate, this risk. Sometimes they are obvious tow trucks and they pretend to be on legitimate business. Even in high traffic areas, seeing a guy in a yellow jacket hooking up a truck isn't really suspicious behavior. Some are covert, a "stinger" that extends from under the bed of a HD truck like this: https://liftandtow.com/products/z-series/ and they will cruise around looking for a mark until they find one, do a quick hook and drag, then get it out of the immediate area and transfer to a flat bed or use tow dollies to get it to their chop shop. A tracker and a motion activated alarm that calls you (not just makes an annoying noise) can also help, but this method is preferred because it's both very hard to defend against and the thieves can hide in plain sight.

Fob cloning is also reasonably prevalent, and that's the sort of thing the Revelco and similar kill switches can help you with. When you see the 30 second boosts of non-Kia vehicles, it's probably fob cloning. A locking cover for your OBD port can at least slow down some types of cloning. I am no longer up to date on this technology and it's capabilities, though, so do your own research here.

We had cut vehicle theft some with a multi-agency task force focusing on professional chop shops and the like. Then the damn Kia thing came out and all the amateurs with a USB started boosting Kias and the number of thefts skyrocketed. Part of the issue police face on the stolen vehicle front is getting a case filed. "I bought it on Craigslist two hours ago" is reasonable doubt in most cases, and then no prosecutor will file it. You basically need a confession or video good enough to convince a jury that it's the same guy. They even if you do get a conviction they just probation them so hard they are out doing it again, especially juveniles. The number of departments that will even pursue a stolen vehicle is dwindling to near zero, though we still will if the conditions are reasonable.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Vehicle theft has gone up 100% in Canada. Cops don’t do a thing and it’s getting worse.

I got:

Ravelco
2 Airtags
Took lock cylinder out
Relocated horn to engine bay
Added Perimeter Plus
It’s garaged out of sight
Keys in a faraday box

It’s extreme, but I won’t get this truck back and I’ll probably pay $50k to get a new one. It’s not a perfect deterrent but better than nothing.

BBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vehicle theft has gone up 100% in Canada. Cops don’t do a thing and it’s getting worse.

I got:

Ravelco
2 Airtags
Took lock cylinder out
Relocated horn to engine bay
Added Perimeter Plus
It’s garaged out of sight
Keys in a faraday box

It’s extreme, but I won’t get this truck back and I’ll probably pay $50k to get a new one. It’s not a perfect deterrent but better than nothing.

Can you post pics of relocated horn please?
My low tone is dead and I want to relocate it when I get around to replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter