GEN 2 New Gen 2 Owner Seeking Tips and Validation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. What a great color! ;) I’d say you made the right choice. I bought mine with about that many miles. The worst I’ve had is that my pinion seal leaked. I had that fixed under warranty but we think the dealer messed up on reassembly. I ended up having to to-gear it later at a much better shop run by a former master tech. The only other issue I have is sometimes my front camera comes in super dark, almost black.

I need to re-grease my sunroof with Krytox so definitely listen to the part about always venting first.

Tech package is great though. Adaptive cruise was a game changer for me but we go on long road trips so if you don’t it probably is meh. I obviously also drive in the rain a lot so the wipers are nice for me too.

Also if you rip though stuff in Baja, hold down the traction control button until it fully turns off. Otherwise it’ll reduce power on wheel spin—and sometimes you want those wheels spinning! That’s all I’ve got for you other than enjoy it!

Silverburst

Reaction score
Hey all,

New to the forum but I have a few questions…

Disclaimer- Probably gonna be a long winded post.

But essentially- I was a little overwhelmed with the raptor market. I looked long and hard at Gen 3’s but couldnt find any at MSRP in my area- except used models- which I couldnt stomach paying MSRP for a truck w/ 30K miles! Gen 1 tech was not up to par for what I wanted as a daily. Gen 2 is probably my favorite raptor gen based off of design. Its a great looking truck. So- I started looking closely at Gen 2’s. Not too many out there in the low mileage range. I ended up narrowing it down to just 2- both in lightning blue.

The first one was from a Chevy/Ford dealer 20 mins away from me- It was a one owner truck with 48K miles (2018 Blue). Cosmetically it was great- there was a small touched up scratch on the tailgate but that was it! It did have a small lighting set up already hooked up, brand new KO2’s, and a very detailed service history (which the original selling dealer was able to verify)- it had been meticulously maintained. I was definitely swayed by the maintenance history and the convenience factor here. And the fresh tires of course. I ended up purchasing this truck for $57K (Keep in mind that prices are high here in WA state)- original asking was $59.7K

The second truck I was looking at was also a blue 2018- around an hour 1/2 away- it had all the same options as the first except it also had the carbon fiber package, tech package (which is eh), and the hood graphics package- other than the carbon fiber- I didnt really care for/need the other options. Cosmetically it was about the same as the first. The kicker with this truck though is that it only had 33K miles- but was still on the original tires. 2 owners- It also had very little service history and the odo was last reported in 2019 at 7K miles… Hmm… Listed at $59.9K- dealer was firm as far as I could tell.

I know this is a moot point- but did I make the right choice? I am still kind of reeling about this but in my mind- I figured it is better to go on one with history and 15K more miles- which for these trucks doesnt seem like a huge difference mileage wise.

I bought a Ford ESP extended warranty separate from the dealer BUT- I want to spoil this truck- any tips on maintenance and how to make sure Im keeping the engine in good order? Things to look out for on the eco boost engines other than cam phasers? Ive owned two F150’s in the past including a 5.4 triton- so Im certainly no stranger to the cam phaser issue.
If you made it this far, thanks for reading my new book!!
Congrats on the new Raptor. I would have made the same decision going with the 1 owner. I'm in WA State as well and feel your pain about high prices (that goes for pretty much everything here, lol)..

I am currently in the research mode for likely a Gen 2 Raptor. I was curious which Ford ESP extended warranty plan you went with and what did it cost? Thinking about doing the same..

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Congrats on the new Raptor. I would have made the same decision going with the 1 owner. I'm in WA State as well and feel your pain about high prices (that goes for pretty much everything here, lol)..

I am currently in the research mode for likely a Gen 2 Raptor. I was curious which Ford ESP extended warranty plan you went with and what did it cost? Thinking about doing the same..

Check out the classifieds here, I remember seeing a few for sale. I am in Washington as well if you have questions.

OP
OP
JC2458

JC2458

Reaction score

Its a good idea. At first- I bought a warranty from the dealer with the car- but backed out and went with a Ford ESP warranty after reading some good reviews on it from forum members. I bought the max coverage plan- 5 years- 60K miles- I think it ran $2800. I bought from Ziegler auto- they also sell mopar warranties

Last edited:

hingedthinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your choice is fine if you are happy with the truck. Mine was $42k, 2018 loaded but it had 114k miles. Runs like a champ now that I've goosed it.

DegenRaptor

Reaction score
I think your choice is fine if you are happy with the truck. Mine was $42k, 2018 loaded but it had 114k miles. Runs like a champ now that I've goosed it.
Hey man! Sorry don't mean to thread jack but how is yours holding up? Did you have a lot of concerns purchasing a gen2 at that mileage? I'm in the same boat right now. My budget is 50k and a lot of the decent ones I'm finding are upwards of 80k miles.

hingedthinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man! Sorry don't mean to thread jack but how is yours holding up? Did you have a lot of concerns purchasing a gen2 at that mileage? I'm in the same boat right now. My budget is 50k and a lot of the decent ones I'm finding are upwards of 80k miles.
I had concerns, but I did my research here and other places. I felt like I knew what I was getting into and I was willing to accept the risks given the price of entry is much lower than new by at least half. My raprap was also super clean, excellent condition. I didn't know it at the time, but it already had the charm "noise" problem fixed and the transmission was replaced at 90k. I highly recommend you get the Oasis report on any used Ford you are considering.

Now that I have stage 2 goosed the truck, it is insanely fun to drive. There is not transmission clunkiness anymore. Still hard shifts in sport like it is supposed to but no stuttering or other annoyances. Baja mode is bat S&&^ crazy. Goose said I'm probably running 550hp or so... I did the install myself in about 5 hours IIRC. I have a thread here on it.

Also, a new gas station here now sells 110 race gas at $12.99/gallon!! so, maybe I need to call Goose about another tune option....