GEN 2 Any one use Winter Tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullSend

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning I drove through a blizzard in Colorado on the stock KO2s with 20k miles. Everyone around me was doing 10mph because they thought they were going to die on their all-seasons. My worn KO2s didn't have any problem handling the snow and I would have been able to go much quicker if it wasn't for all the idiots around me who don't know how to drive in the snow.

That said, in Colorado, we deal with mostly packed snow and don't get ice storms. A softer tire with siping would do better on the ice, but the KO2 is hard to beat on the snow.
Yeah I was driving the same snow storm from the mountains to downtown and surprised how great they did. No slippage at all. Need a good freezing rain scenarion and driving up the same hill (I70) to really test them!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im giving Goodyear Duratrac's a try this year, not an outright snow tire, but has some siping and is supposed to be good in the snow. I live in rural maine up a steep dead end dirt road, so they will get a workout.

I run the duratracs on the wife's 4runner and they do well. Where in Maine are you? I snowmobile up there quite a bit

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to see how my Nitto Ridge Grapplers do this winter and if they aren't that good I think I'm gonna throw Toyo Open Country C/T's on my spare set of Ford bead lock rims I have sitting in my garage and run those in the winter

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run the duratracs on the wife's 4runner and they do well. Where in Maine are you? I snowmobile up there quite a bit

central maine, Augusta area. ITS87 is accessible from my house.

We have snow now, initial impression of the duratracs in the snow aren't great, but it was pretty slippery out.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I put these on today since the white stuff is coming soon. Got a good deal on them so I thought I would try the KO2 in Canadian winter.

3247EC16-6C08-411B-BFAF-E0204FEF78E5.jpeg If these don’t work out, I’ll replace the BFGs with Nokian Hakkas.

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Early snow here in Upstate NY last week. Got the Blizzak's put on my wife's Explorer Sport. Meanwhile, the Raptor seemed OK (not great) with the snow and a little ice (tried using 4A and 4H). I should add there are 15K miles on the stock KO2's.

I didn't go try my wife's vehicle but I wonder if the Explorer with the snow's would be better in the same conditions.

We're headed through the PA mountains at Thanksgiving. Can be a scary route if the weather turns ugly. Would you take the Raptor or Explorer?

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Early snow here in Upstate NY last week. Got the Blizzak's put on my wife's Explorer Sport. Meanwhile, the Raptor seemed OK (not great) with the snow and a little ice (tried using 4A and 4H). I should add there are 15K miles on the stock KO2's.

I didn't go try my wife's vehicle but I wonder if the Explorer with the snow's would be better in the same conditions.

We're headed through the PA mountains at Thanksgiving. Can be a scary route if the weather turns ugly. Would you take the Raptor or Explorer?

Personally, I would take the Raptor. Gotta be careful with either vehicle.

Even with snows, you could end up in the rhubarb. Have a great holiday and safe trip.

BendSprinter

Reaction score

You can’t beat dedicated snow tires. I would bet with some certainty that her vehicle with snow tires would be superior in all snow conditions except deep off road. On road the explorer will stop, turn and accelerate better. The Raptor is awesome but in that scenario hers would be better.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I’m in Syracuse and it was a shit show going to work last Thursday. The bfg’s on my new gen2 suck in the snow!