GEN 2 Any one use Winter Tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Im giving Goodyear Duratrac's a try this year, not an outright snow tire, but has some siping and is supposed to be good in the snow. I live in rural maine up a steep dead end dirt road, so they will get a workout.
I ran the DT's on my FJ. In deep or loose snow they were great. In hardpack or anything remotely icy they sucked bad.

FullSend

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im giving Goodyear Duratrac's a try this year, not an outright snow tire, but has some siping and is supposed to be good in the snow. I live in rural maine up a steep dead end dirt road, so they will get a workout.
I love the duratracs and always recommend them. If you have driven the KO2s in the snow I'd love to know how you think the Durtatracs compare. I'm torn on what my next set of tires will be. Probably duratracs. I'll spend more time in the snow then mud.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Only downside for Duratracs is that they won't hold up well to hammering around on crushed slate roads in Maine. They are quite soft .

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got 9K miles on my 315/70/17 Duratracs. The KO2's were good in snow, but the Duratracs are better.
I've also been running 33x12.5x15 Duratracs on my 92 Bronco for 6 years. @ 25K miles they still have a little over half tread.

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great question!
I also have always used dedicated winter tires on both my wife and my rides.

What size Nokian LT you plan on running?

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This morning I drove through a blizzard in Colorado on the stock KO2s with 20k miles. Everyone around me was doing 10mph because they thought they were going to die on their all-seasons. My worn KO2s didn't have any problem handling the snow and I would have been able to go much quicker if it wasn't for all the idiots around me who don't know how to drive in the snow.

That said, in Colorado, we deal with mostly packed snow and don't get ice storms. A softer tire with siping would do better on the ice, but the KO2 is hard to beat on the snow.