Any mountain bikers? Post your travel setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dnpbakon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatsup everyone.

So I ride just about every weekend. Normal trails are about 45min away but I go north to the mountains and ride Kanuga/windrock/Jarrods place maybe 2-3 times a year. I used to run a kuat hitch rack but it seems useless when I have a pickup lol. I now have a bed cover and just lay the bike in the bed.

How’s everyone else travel with there setup? ( I don’t use tailgate pads since these tails gates are chunky and nothing fits right).

I’d love to run a GFC topper (non tent version) and then run a sliding bike rack in and out of the bed.

Let’s see some setups!

Attachments

• IMG_5099.jpeg
    IMG_5099.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 83

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatsup everyone.

So I ride just about every weekend. Normal trails are about 45min away but I go north to the mountains and ride Kanuga/windrock/Jarrods place maybe 2-3 times a year. I used to run a kuat hitch rack but it seems useless when I have a pickup lol. I now have a bed cover and just lay the bike in the bed.

How’s everyone else travel with there setup? ( I don’t use tailgate pads since these tails gates are chunky and nothing fits right).

I’d love to run a GFC topper (non tent version) and then run a sliding bike rack in and out of the bed.

Let’s see some setups!
I have a Rocky Mount hitch rack. I am happy with it. I don't have much room in the bed of the truck since I have the Retrax.

Last edited:

Jesse1983

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got my Gen 3 and it's been cold here so likely no biking until spring, but here is what I made for my Gen 2. Ratcheting pole with fork mounts attached. Bonus I can use the ratching pole as it was intended when not used for bikes. You can shut the tailgate but not with the tri-fold cover on, as pictured.

mount-2.jpg

mount-3.jpg

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a raceface pad that fits pretty well. Bikes don’t rest nicely in the middle of the tailgate because of how wide it is though. For a full size e bike horizontal racks are kind of nice because it’s way easier to get the bike on and off.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is that a mtb or a dirt bike?

I use the Fox tailgate pad because I’m usually hauling more than one bike and don’t want to lay them on top of each other in the bed.

OP
OP
Dnpbakon

Dnpbakon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for those wondering, I ended up going with a track by Freedomcoast and then using their boost standard fork mount. They have vids of the setup in gen 3’s with the tailgate close so I’ll keep everyone posted on how it goes!

Attachments

• IMG_5358.jpeg
    IMG_5358.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5357.jpeg
    IMG_5357.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 72

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same bike as OP in a S3. Just got a Raceface pad. Seems to work OK.

I’m a weak old man. I can get the rear end up into the box with down tube resting on the tailgate. Then the bike walks right in as I lift the tailgate.

This is super quick to load and unload. Plus I can keep the ReTrax tonneau cover on…there’s 6 inches between rear tire and the roll up tube.

I do like that Freedomcoast rack…it’s a new one to me.

We live off grid…super rough and dusty on the road in to our place. FWIW I’m not too concerned about dust scratching that pretty, red frame.

IMG_5817.jpeg