Any chance the Raptor R will have the Scab as an option?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2012 Scab and a 2018 Scab (which I sold after having all sorts of problems). When I heard the 2021 would be 4 door only I found a new Scab in VA. and bought it. One of the last 2020 Scabs. I had a chance to buy a TRX at dealer cost when they first came out but I don't want a 4 door truck. I think I can get a good price on a Raptor R at my local dealer but I won't buy one if it's a 4 door only truck.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's always a chance, but I think it would be difficult for anyone to come up with a reason why the R would have a SCAB when the reg Raptor does not. I mean, I get why customers want it, but why would Ford do this?

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot conjure up a scenario where Ford thinks the Raptor R needs to be in a SCAB and SCREW configuration, meaning they default to the SCREW since that is the only production model for the current Raptor. That would be a redesign for the frame and everything just for the SCAB, when I would put my money on the R being the 37 PP chassis with whatever motor/hybrid powerplant they choose to go with. Or the R will be like the Bronco DR (https://www.ford.com/bronco/bronco-dr/) in which case anything is possible, as it is a departure from all things Ford mass produced and basically a joint venture with Ford and a off-road engineering race team.

Also, best of luck getting a "good price" on the Raptor R, it is possible but unlikely.

cplreyes

Reaction score
Not enough People bought the scab. Ford is on record stating that it was better on the performance side but lost money due to low sales and too many scab specific parts. Most raptors don’t see any significant off road time. I have one which I prefer but I do see the the upside of a larger cab when I’m driving around town with my family.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2012 Scab and a 2018 Scab (which I sold after having all sorts of problems). When I heard the 2021 would be 4 door only I found a new Scab in VA. and bought it. One of the last 2020 Scabs. I had a chance to buy a TRX at dealer cost when they first came out but I don't want a 4 door truck. I think I can get a good price on a Raptor R at my local dealer but I won't buy one if it's a 4 door only truck.
There is always hope, but there is no chance for a SCAB. The demand from the consumer simply isn’t there.

I personally love the space of the SCREW, as do most people. The SCAB Raptors do look pretty cool though, but that’s just not enough of a reason to sacrifice the practicality of such a great daily driver.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree to all the above. when I got my 18. I was tempted to get the scab. IMO it looked so much better. but because of space I opted not. I wish they didn't stop the scab. I think I may have went that route for my 21. and if for some reason I get a chance at a R and its offered in a scab. I think it may be a no brainer for me this time. but odds are no scab and no R or me. I think ill keep my 21 and put that ridiculous ADM towards a true sports car.. when this gen 3 is paid for end of next year. need to keep a realistic expectation on things.

OP
OP
K

kenb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I will have a decision to make then. I love my 2020 SCAB but as one of my "friend's" on this board pointed out I bought a truck that didn't have a V8. Which I swore I would not do. I only did it because it was the last of the SCAB's.

My 2020 model has only 1200 miles on it and it is paid for. Should I sell it now or wait until I can order a R? I have been in touch with my dealer for months about ordering an R. I have bought 2 Raptors there and feel like I will get an ok deal but you never know.

wac45

Reaction score
I had a 2012 Scab and then got a 2020 Scab because it was the last year they were going to make them even though I really didn't want to give up the V8. I really liked the Scab but just could not warm up to the V6. So yes I got a TRX and have gotten used to the Crew cab although I really wish the R was going to be offered as a Scab but that isn't going to happen.

I would be hesitant to sell your Scab now unless you are very certain you can get an R. Seems like they are going to be a bit tough to get and probably quite pricey.