Antenna Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TuckerTravis

TuckerTravis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah turns out my whole base and antenna were f'd from the get go. Got dealer to order whole new kit. I just hope my stubby picks up my stations. Looks like my truck stays on driveway for now.

Yogurt Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has to be Geographic b/c I have had zero issues w/ the stubby and I switch back -forth from sirius to my favorite local FM station. No signal issues here (That is Thus-far)

RottenKid

Reaction score
Yeah turns out my whole base and antenna were f'd from the get go. Got dealer to order whole new kit. I just hope my stubby picks up my stations. Looks like my truck stays on driveway for now.

Just got back from the dealership and a tech there confirmed that I have the same issue on my 2012. The Stubby is in my console waiting but I have to make an appointment to have them fix the base.

MrGreen33

FRF Addict
Reaction score
:Grenade: Take it to another dealer!!!

:shocked:I had the same issue as OP back in Nov 2011... First took it to the Ford dealer in Chino Hills, Ca... Bad Mistake!!(Originally purchased the Raptor from Preston Ford in OHIO, and had it shipped to so-cal)

Chino Hills Ford kept my truck from 8am till about 2p!! The Service rep was trying to sell me a new Antenna module for around $300 or so with labor and they said it could not be covered under Warranty because of user error

In other words the dealer said I broke the antenna module, do to excessive rotations :flipthebird:

I then informed the dealer from who I purchased the Raptor, Preston Ford in Ohio. The sales manger took care of me(Once again!!) and said no worries(was supervised the dealer did not warranty the antenna) and referred me to another dealer in my area...

However, this was all around the end of the 2011 year (parties:peace:) and I was also moving to a new residence, needless to say, I post poned the Antenna "repair" till I was settled in my new home.

Well, heres the important part!!! I finally was settled(middle of January 2012) in my new home and finally had time to take the Raptor in to the nearest Ford dealer which happened to be the Ford of Upland, ca dealer.

:Jedi:I arrived promptly at 8am, the service rep came out asked me what I needed help with...two minutes later he comes back with a wrench, same size I tried!!!

Somehow he takes a couple twists I believe Counter clock wise, and the antenna was off!!! I was completely dumfounded, I had twisted clock wise and counter clockwise S**Tload of times, but this service rep takes a couple turns and bam the dang antenna is off making me look like a yahoo.:ROFLJest: I was so Pissed off to think I almost paid to get the new module through Chino Hills Ford, Never will take my Truck to that dealer again!!!

Recap, if possible, take it to another dealer, might save some$$$

Rusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Morning,
Two things come to mind
1) Why not try and find an electric antanna. Assuming you can find a black electirc It should turn on and off with the radio.
antanna and opening up the hole in the base to be large enough to allow the electric antanna to come through. As I recall you can set the highth you want the antanna to go up to. To make it look factory you need to use the stock base.
The only other part of this that I see is being able to seal the open from the eleaments.
Shouldn't be to much trouble as there are different gorment that will work,

2) Remove and replace the stubby antanna to the middle rear of the roof.
Of course that would require some body shop time. While your at it, Move the sirrus
antanna to the meddle rear like wise. With a lilltle imaginanItion you could set it up
to look very cool.
My body shop told me to move the sirrus antanna to the raar would require extended
cables and than the making an reshooting the entire roof. I also go's with out saying that the passinger side fender would require some body work as well. I see the work
comming in at just under 1k to do the job right. Paint matching etc.

JMHO, one other thing in 2013 ford is releasing a HD radio, I am not sure as standard
or optional equipment. Certainly with a stubby on the roof you would not have a hight
issue. Your call.

I am in the planning stages now. It won't be an easy job but it can be done.

As to CB antanna's on the roof, it is pretty much the same thing.
I am not sure what they were using for radio, be it CB with and amplfier or a UHF/VHF. radio. The long range two ways that are on the FRS are exempt from regulation. I do know the Mexican Goverment does not like the use of any two way communication equipment with out there permission. Same here in the USA as to
UHF/VHF premits and of course there is Ham Radio as well, which does require a licence
for use. As to weither or not the FCC has the resources to police this sort of activity. I am not sure how the Canada Goverment looks at this sort of activity, if it requires a permit will,
I would just get the premits. The Ham you will need to study for.

Stay Safe
Rusty

I told you my spelling was not at is's best.

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Morning,
Two things come to mind
1) Why not try and find an electric antanna. Assuming you can find a black electirc It should turn on and off with the radio.
antanna and opening up the hole in the base to be large enough to allow the electric antanna to come through. As I recall you can set the highth you want the antanna to go up to. To make it look factory you need to use the stock base.
The only other part of this that I see is being able to seal the open from the eleaments.
Shouldn't be to much trouble as there are different gorment that will work,

2) Remove and replace the stubby antanna to the middle rear of the roof.
Of course that would require some body shop time. While your at it, Move the sirrus
antanna to the meddle rear like wise. With a lilltle imaginanItion you could set it up
to look very cool.
My body shop told me to move the sirrus antanna to the raar would require extended
cables and than the making an reshooting the entire roof. I also go's with out saying that the passinger side fender would require some body work as well. I see the work
comming in at just under 1k to do the job right. Paint matching etc.

JMHO, one other thing in 2013 ford is releasing a HD radio, I am not sure as standard
or optional equipment. Certainly with a stubby on the roof you would not have a hight
issue. Your call.

I am in the planning stages now. It won't be an easy job but it can be done.

As to CB antanna's on the roof, it is pretty much the same thing.
I am not sure what they were using for radio, be it CB with and amplfier or a UHF/VHF. radio. The long range two ways that are on the FRS are exempt from regulation. I do know the Mexican Goverment does not like the use of any two way communication equipment with out there permission. Same here in the USA as to
UHF/VHF premits and of course there is Ham Radio as well, which does require a licence
for use. As to weither or not the FCC has the resources to police this sort of activity. I am not sure how the Canada Goverment looks at this sort of activity, if it requires a permit will,
I would just get the premits. The Ham you will need to study for.

Stay Safe
Rusty

I told you my spelling was not at is's best.

:wtf2:

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting, keep us posted on progress

12' Race Red Raptor SCAB (Loaded to the max!)
SCABS are faster!!
08' SeaDoo RXP-X Clockin' 80GPS

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
reviving and older post. but some info for anyone who cares.........

the reason you are having reception issues with shorter antennas is because of just that... a short antenna. standard vehicle antennas are 31 inches long. they are that long for a reason so I will try to explain.
the vehicle antenna at 31 inches tall is 1/4 of a wavelength. people also call it a quarter whip or whatever. so at 31 inches you are at optimal height with a good ground plane. the ground plane is the body of the car. the antenna uses the metal to (for lack of a better word) help with the radio reception. from what i understand,(someone correct me if I am wrong) if you take a piece of string from the tip of the antenna and pulled it down to the body of the car/truck if you have more than a 45 degree angle you have a good ground plane. anything less than a 45 degree angle means less of a ground plane. even though the small antennas are usually base loaded, which means that they took a 31 inch antenna and coiled it up into a spring so it can be shorter,but because of its height has less of a ground plane. less than 45 degrees angle. in other words the metal body of the car is not helping the antenna. so if you want optimum radio reception use the standard 31in whip. if you dont care and you only use you ithing take out the antenna