GEN 1 Another front end noise...!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rorywg

Reaction score
Hello all

Id really appreciate some suggestions on a problem I'm having with my 2012 Raptor. I get a low volume rattle- a bit like pebbles in a can- when turning to the RHS. The noise seems to be coming from the left front end. It is not loud but is very consistent. I don't get it turning left, and I don't get it in 4WD.

So I assumed it was something to do with the IEW or the bearings. I switched the IWE and hub assembly around so my old LHS kit is now on teh RHS, and vice versa. I still get the noise from the Left, and only on turning right.

Any ideas?? I have recently replaced both axles and also the IWE actuators and the vacuum lines... help!

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an exhaust rattle that sounds like marbles in a can located on the y pipe next to the cross member. Just bang a rubber mallet around might get lucky and find it.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a CV problem. I know you said you just replaced them, did it make the noise before the swap?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pressure test your IWE system - it's very easy to do with a brake bleed vacuum pump. I JUST had the problem you are describing (again), but it was caused by the opposite side IWE. Any pressure issue within the IWE lines or IWEs themself can just cause weird stuff. Pressure test each IWE separately. If IWEs are good, pressure test the line coming from the valve up by the firewall. Verify pressure coming out of valve itself. I can almost promise you that it's an IWE vacuum issue. I've had many.

Cristian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also dealing with the same thing its so random. I get the same sound but sometimes I would like a squeaking sound at low speeds but when in 4wd I get no sounds. I haven't replaced any parts yet but the truck is parked till I can pressure test it

deadlysilent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s probably gonna be your IWE. Dealing with it on mine now. I’ve purchased all the parts to replace everything. It’s starts with a small noise then turns into a loud noise. Run it in 4wd no more noise as IWE’s are engaged and vacuum is lost.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its probably the vacuum hose. i replaced mine a couple months ago. somehow the rubber hose was rubbing against stuff and wore a hole through it. check the hose going to the wheel. its 2 hoses that are sealed together. looks like an 8. look for damage. i think i spent $12 for 2 hoses and replaced them. i couldnt find the same hose since they are 2 combined into one so i got 2 seperate hoses and connected them side by side. now i got a bunch of hose left over in case it happens to the other side