And so it begins......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

wreckitshaw

Reaction score
I noticed on the pictures that only the exhaust icon was showing, with steering and suspension icons gone. You were still unable to change exhaust modes? You heard a noise from the front - is this perhaps related to the unsecured cable to the front passenger shock maybe? Check out the thread titled something like "things to check after delivery". Although it blows to be without your truck - there's little to nothing the dealer could say that wouldn't be covered at 2k miles. Good luck!

You win some, you lose some. Also I doubt it's a problem with 37's as there's a ton of people running them on here and it's not that drastic of a change. There's zero drive line changes (gearing, ratios, transmission, coolers, etc) between the 35/37.

I read that thread about taking delivery and the wire. I don't believe that is the issue. This sound was more from the transfer case and sounded like it was trying to engage the hubs.

All the modes were disabled because the dealership claimed the truck went into a "limp" mode to prevent further issues.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I read that thread about taking delivery and the wire. I don't believe that is the issue. This sound was more from the transfer case and sounded like it was trying to engage the hubs.

All the modes were disabled because the dealership claimed the truck went into a "limp" mode to prevent further issues.
The SOUND was more from the transfer case, and possibly engaging the hubs? Two very different systems and although related, kinda very separate and would really create different noises - not to mention something that you'd definitely FEEL in the cab.

Any other details? If the t-case was trying to do something uncommanded, you'd definitely know. The IWE's are vacuum actuated and can also make a grinding sound.

I've never had any issues with any of my Raptors, sorry I can't be more help.

OP
OP
W

wreckitshaw

Reaction score
The SOUND was more from the transfer case, and possibly engaging the hubs? Two very different systems and although related, kinda very separate and would really create different noises - not to mention something that you'd definitely FEEL in the cab.

Any other details? If the t-case was trying to do something uncommanded, you'd definitely know. The IWE's are vacuum actuated and can also make a grinding sound.

I've never had any issues with any of my Raptors, sorry I can't be more help.

Yes, it was difficult to exactly determine the root of the noise. It could be felt as if the transmission was missing a gear. But it was very clearly not the transmission. My father was in the truck and he felt as if it was the transfer case.

I had IWE issues on a much older f150 and it sounded similar to that, but did not feel the same as this go around.

I didn't drive on it above 25-30 mph to prevent damage.

Not sure why the truck would try to activate the transfer case to put it in 4h or 4a, when I wasn't even trying to put it in that mode.

mph4

Reaction score
I had something similar happen with my gen2. It turned out to be a vacuum leak causing the hubs to knock like they were trying to engage if memory serves me. The front hubs were replaced and never had the issue again with my gen2.

Dav1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think in 2021 they redesigned the hub system to electric instead of vacuum. looks like their still having problems. I remember the 4x4 went out on my old 2004 f150 brcause of the vacuum hubs. Didnt realize it until my back tires were buried in the mud and the front tires, which were on dry ground wouldnt turn. I was at our hunting club by myself, had to call my dad an hour away to pull me out.