Am I crazy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

giffordt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking of trading my Silver 2011 SCrew (loaded except stickers) and ordering a blue 2013 SCrew. I have 31K miles on my 2011 and love the truck EXCEPT it is starting to become a rattle-nightmare. One of my biggest pet-peeves is interior squeaks and rattles. I seem to have the wonderful ability to focus on squeaks and rattles even with the radio on...lucky me.

Anyway, from the start there has been a rattle in the passenger front door in the area of the door handle. It has been to the dealer 4 times for this and they always say they can't pinpoint it. The first time they thought it was a loose clip so they "fixed" it. The second time they couldn't find anything wrong, the third time I asked them to put some felt material around the power window switch (as per a thread I found on here). The 4th time they "found a couple of loose things" in the door that they "fixed" with fabric tape. And the rattle is still there.

That was just the rattle in the door handle. There was one in the rear portion of the headliner that they fixed about a year ago. That one sounded like there was a nut or washer rolling around. Most recently, there was a loud tick in the driver side B-pillar right at ear level. They dropped the headliner and said some of the foam had shifted so they fixed it. Well since that repair, there is a new squeak that has developed in the headliner near the back window and another squeak in the dashboard...to go along with the one in the passenger door that still is not fixed.

My truck has never been off-road (maybe that's the problem) and I know it sounds like I am nit-picking. Ironically, the squeaks and rattles don't happen when hitting large bumps or potholes, only when driving on normal roads...so basically, its a constant noise.

So I guess I'm wondering what I can reasonably expect for a trade-in offer from the dealer. I do have a few mods but the truck will be put back to stock except for the perch adjustment. Again, 2011 Silver SCrew, 31K miles, loaded with every option except decals. Cosmetically and mechanically perfect and never off road. I still owe $23K and all equity will go to the new truck. Looking to order a blue 2013 SCrew with all factory options (including blue interior) except decals, and moonroof (don't really use the one I have now).

I know you guys hate these kind of questions and there are many other factors involved, but I can say that most dealers in my area don't have any Raptors on their lot (new or used). Is it reasonable to push for $42K or $43K or should I be happy if they offer me $40K? I don't think I would take any less than $40K as a trade. Looks like most of the used ones similar to mine are listed between $45K - $47K.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously you will get less on a dealer trade vs. a private party...how much less well that is a great question...Raptors are not typical vehicles so the difference might not be as great vs. other vehicles

Based on what you write... I would say you should expect some where in the vicinity of $42k - $45k...depending... The reason i say this is because I see 2011 for sale " up north" with around the same mileage for $47 - $50k...so the dealer has so room for profit...

That is just my wild ass guess...

Good luck

Fred

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For the 20 grand you'll lose out the door buying a new one, I would send your 2011 raptor off to Outlaw and have them put a roll cage in the truck, that will fix the rattles, since they have to take the interior apart to do it :), then take that beast offroad and have some fun!!! Just an idea i had, lol.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, your not crazy, just expect to write a big check for the 13 and at least you figured out what the best color is! :head3:

firematt422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd spend my time finding and fixing the "rattles." I've heard a lot more issues with the 2012-13's than with 2010-11's.

Basically, what I'm getting at is there isn't much difference between the year-models (and arguably the differences may not be improvements). Your new truck could come with a whole new set of "quirks," and a little bit bigger price tag as well.

The resale value on these is unprecedented, though. I'm sure you could get at least 40K.

Just throw on a Magnapack. I bet won't be able to hear a rattling door handle anymore.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ This for sure... Fix the rattles or spend even if its 1k to fix the rattles you are better off than the amount you would lose on trade-in... or spend 4500 get a set of Icons and the rattles will be a second to the awesome feel of the new shocks!!! I speak from experience mr giffordson ha ha ha

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
Mine rattles like its 60 years old. Everythin rattles the dash the bed squeaks the springs squeak the doots squeak but you know what i spend 60 percen of my time in the truck and i still love it to death!!!

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Trading in your Raptor because of squeaks and rattles is like selling your house because it needs maintenance.

Spend some money to pay someone to hunt down and fix the noises. It's a lot better way to spend your money than to trade in your truck and get a new one.

Unless of course, you really just want a new one.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"Am I crazy?"
If ya have to ask the question...

"My truck has never been off-road"
I've noticed that street queeners do tend to have higher than the usual expectations when it comes to issues like these. It's a performance truck designed to kickass in the dirt. Chances are the '13 will have a squeak or rattle. How much is neurotic insanity worth? Throw some money at it to eliminate those noises. Get busa to upgrade your sound system. Or just go bang it around offroad some - you will have such a great time you will forget about little nits... and your balls will thank you haha!