Am I crazy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

harpri11

Reaction score
Been looking at a 2018 raptor with 125k miles on it for $38k.Took it on a 3 day test drive and everything seems to be in great condition, besides the transmission, which most likely just needs to be flashed back to OEM. The issue is that the seller is CarMax, they don’t allow third party inspections, which was the only real way to know the truck was sound besides trusting Carmax’s inspection. Am I crazy to consider this as CarMax offers a 90 day/4000 miles warranty?

Thoughts?

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a decent deal. I'd say get it and immediately get it inspected in case there is a problem, you can start working on getting it fixed under the warranty.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What does CarFax say? Can you pull engine oil & trans fluid samples for testing? BTW, I've never heard of a 3 day test drive

OP
OP
H

harpri11

Reaction score
What does CarFax say? Can you pull engine oil & trans fluid samples for testing? BTW, I've never heard of a 3 day test drive
Well, it was technically a 24 hour test drive, but I got it on a Saturday so they just had me return it Monday night.

Car fax shows regular maintenance of fluids, brakes, etc, nothing major ever reported besides reflashing the transmission computer.

OP
OP
H

harpri11

Reaction score
If you had it for a 3 day test drive, how would they know if you had it inspected during that 3 days...and what could they do to you if you did? Probably can't take your birthday.

If you had it for a 3 day test drive, how would they know if you had it inspected during that 3 days...and what could they do to you if you did? Probably can't take your birthday.
I wish that was possible. And I totally would have, but unfortunately ford was booked out to a week wait and the test drive was a bit spur of the moment.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Been looking at a 2018 raptor with 125k miles on it for $38k.Took it on a 3 day test drive and everything seems to be in great condition, besides the transmission, which most likely just needs to be flashed back to OEM. The issue is that the seller is CarMax, they don’t allow third party inspections, which was the only real way to know the truck was sound besides trusting Carmax’s inspection. Am I crazy to consider this as CarMax offers a 90 day/4000 miles warranty?

Thoughts?
Welcome to FRF. Let me search the forum for you:

1704850780089.jpeg

2017 and onward Raptors with the 10R80 / 10 speed transmission are notorious for customer complaints about shifting. Probably about 5-10% of those complaints are legit, the other 90-95% are customers complaint about their Raptor because their s00b with a cvt or AMG Merc didn’t shift like that.

Tell them you need another overnight to be sure, take it to a private mechanic and have it checked out. It’s a good price, but, beware, you probably need new shocks, a not insignificant expense. Mileage is on the high side, and hence the price. If it rides nice, accelerates well, doesn’t make odd sounds, etc... give it a 2nd look

Get a “cold soak” start - bring a temperature (laser) gun and make sure it’s not started in the last 12 hours or more. If you hear marbles in a can at startup, it’s needs cam phasers.

check the twin panel moonroof. ( there are probably less than 250 Raptors without the moonroof from ’17-’20 ) pop to vent position. If you hear a pop sound, that’s the gasket grabbing the glass and it hasn’t been maintained. close, repeat until it doesn’t ‘pop’. Then open to the rear and close. make sure it’s not broken.

crawl under and hit it with a super bright light. Look for leaks and check the oil pan in particular. part way through ’18, they changed from the plastic to the metal pan. Most are fine, but some leak and when they do, getting a correct repair is very difficult.

at 138, I’d be looking for infrequent service items - trans fluid, diff fluid, transfer case, radiator, blinker ( just kidding )
If everything checks out, I’d be intrigued myself but that aside, why not?

OP
OP
H

harpri11

Reaction score

View attachment 439839

2017 and onward Raptors with the 10R80 / 10 speed transmission are notorious for customer complaints about shifting. Probably about 5-10% of those complaints are legit, the other 90-95% are customers complaint about their Raptor because their s00b with a cvt or AMG Merc didn’t shift like that.

Tell them you need another overnight to be sure, take it to a private mechanic and have it checked out. It’s a good price, but, beware, you probably need new shocks, a not insignificant expense. Mileage is on the high side, and hence the price. If it rides nice, accelerates well, doesn’t make odd sounds, etc... give it a 2nd look

Get a “cold soak” start - bring a temperature (laser) gun and make sure it’s not started in the last 12 hours or more. If you hear marbles in a can at startup, it’s needs cam phasers.

check the twin panel moonroof. ( there are probably less than 250 Raptors without the moonroof from ’17-’20 ) pop to vent position. If you hear a pop sound, that’s the gasket grabbing the glass and it hasn’t been maintained. close, repeat until it doesn’t ‘pop’. Then open to the rear and close. make sure it’s not broken.

crawl under and hit it with a super bright light. Look for leaks and check the oil pan in particular. part way through ’18, they changed from the plastic to the metal pan. Most are fine, but some leak and when they do, getting a correct repair is very difficult.

at 138, I’d be looking for infrequent service items - trans fluid, diff fluid, transfer case, radiator, blinker ( just kidding )

View attachment 439839

Very insightful and helpful! Thank you sir

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter