Alternator Overcharging?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

When I bought my "new" truck I noticed that the battery terminals were corroded. I cleaned them and the battery up and put it back. After a couple of weeks I can see where fluid has come out of the battery from the vents. I called the Ford dealer and they told me that battery issues were not covered under the 3 yr 36k warranty and I would have to replace the battery with my own money. I replaced the battery with a new 1000 cranking amp Interstate battery. The guy that sold me the battery said the Alternator might be overcharging based on the fluid coming out of the vents with the old battery. I watched the truck all day in engineering mode and the voltage stayed at about 14.6-14.7. I charged the battery when I got home to make sure that the alternator wasn't kicked up because the new battery was charging. It was full. It's still sitting at 14.6 after charging the battery. None of my lights are on or anything and its still putting out 14.6V at idle.

I'm going to drive it over to AutoZone and have it tested tonight but they only tell me if its good or bad. I'd like to know if there is an underlying issue (i.e. high resistance in one of the charging system wires).

I'd take it Ford but the dealer is 100 miles away and I would like to have a good idea of what is wrong before I take it in. They tend to lie to me about issues to keep from having to perform warranty service.

Another concern I have is that I believe the voltage regulation function is built into the computer, not the alternator anymore. Does anyone know if this is true?

If you have any suggestions of things to try please let me know.

Thanks

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Leaking battery should have definitely been covered under warranty

IRONMAN

Reaction score
When your truck is running it's suppose to be at 14.5 volts roughly.
So 14.6-7 doesn't sound bad.
My battery died in the first year so I just swapped it out for a yellow top optima battery.
There have been many Ford vehicles with the batteries dying quickly from what I've heard.

OP
OP
AngryBird

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Its definitely helpful. I took the truck to Autozone and the alternator tested ok. Their tester definitely put the alternator under load and didn't just look at the voltage. The brand new interstate battery is leaking acid out the vent and the neg(-) terminal now. Its got to be the truck. The chances of getting a new battery with the exact same problem is pretty low. Voltages were sitting at 14.1-14.2V on the way home from autozone. Going to go clean up the battery now to keep the terminals from corroding anymore. I'm thinking I should have just bought another brand new truck...

Battery isn't hot to the touch or anything either. I don't know what to try next.

AB

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

BTW anyone know what this means?

IMAGE_188.png

A quick google search revealed nothing.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On your truck the proper voltage should be about 14 volts... 14.5 volts is something is overcharging at least a little. I would start with testing the regulator and make sure it stops charging when it is suppose to. I would tend to think it is most likely the culprit..

OP
OP
AngryBird

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On your truck the proper voltage should be about 14 volts... 14.5 volts is something is overcharging at least a little. I would start with testing the regulator and make sure it stops charging when it is suppose to. I would tend to think it is most likely the culprit..

How do you test the regulator? I'm assuming that Autozone did that as part of the alternator test. You could hear the alternator kick up when the tester added a load. It was running about 14.1-14.2 on the way home.