GEN 1 Alignment after new tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GEAngulo09

Reaction score
Question,

I tried looking at the tire and wheel thread but couldn't find the answer. I just got new tires, Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 same size as original/stock tire 315/70R17. Got all 4 balanced but i feel like my steering wheel still shakes a bit. My qs is, did anyone had to re-aligned their truck even though your putting on the same tire size/spec.? Has anyone experince the same issue by putting another tire that is not the BF Goodrich? If so, what did you do to fix the steering wheel from shaking.

I do notice this tire a bit wider, sticks out more but i thought since its same size no alignment needed to be done only balance. I may be wrong, so thats why i decided to ask on here.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope, get a 4-wheel alignment. You just spent well over $1,000 on tires. Spend another $80 to make sure they wear correctly. Soon. Once an improper wear pattern is established on a tire, it'll wear that way for its now shortened life.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Question,

I tried looking at the tire and wheel thread but couldn't find the answer. I just got new tires, Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 same size as original/stock tire 315/70R17. Got all 4 balanced but i feel like my steering wheel still shakes a bit. My qs is, did anyone had to re-aligned their truck even though your putting on the same tire size/spec.? Has anyone experince the same issue by putting another tire that is not the BF Goodrich? If so, what did you do to fix the steering wheel from shaking.

I do notice this tire a bit wider, sticks out more but i thought since its same size no alignment needed to be done only balance. I may be wrong, so thats why i decided to ask on here.
I've had my tires balanced incorrectly (felt it in the steering wheel) and had to have them balanced again. Not always top notch techs doing the balancing.

OP
OP
GEAngulo09

GEAngulo09

Reaction score
Nope, get a 4-wheel alignment. You just spent well over $1,000 on tires. Spend another $80 to make sure they wear correctly. Soon. Once an improper wear pattern is established on a tire, it'll wear that way for its now shortened life.

Yea that is what one of my buddies said, to have truck re-aligned but i questioned it since my truck does not pull to the side and even the steering wheel strip is right in the middle. That is why i thought a re-alignment was unnecessary. But i will check tomorrow with the tire shop for an alignment.
You mean 4 wheel alignment or 4-Wheel (The store)?

I've had my tires balanced incorrectly (felt it in the steering wheel) and had to have them balanced again. Not always top notch techs doing the balancing.

I took it back already and they balanced the front ones again and it was a bit better but i still notice a little bit of shaking which i dont like.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Alignment isn't going to cause a tire or steering wheel to shake. If they've been balanced twice, try moving the fronts to the rear and see if it's better. Then you likely have an out of round tire, or some other tire defect.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@GEAngulo09 , your vehicle can be badly out of alignment and still won't pull to one side or the other. That's a common misconception.

I meant an alignment in which all four wheels are hooked up to the alignment machine, measurements are taken at all four wheels, etc. More expensive and much better than the old school two-wheel alignment. I don't know if anybody routinely does two-wheel alignments any more.

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same tires on my 10 SCAB and had a alignment done after install. There's no shake and also had new rotors installed because that was causing shake under braking.

OP
OP
GEAngulo09

GEAngulo09

Reaction score
Alignment isn't going to cause a tire or steering wheel to shake. If they've been balanced twice, try moving the fronts to the rear and see if it's better. Then you likely have an out of round tire, or some other tire defect.

Thanks, that will be my step after i do the alignment.

@GEAngulo09 , your vehicle can be badly out of alignment and still won't pull to one side or the other. That's a common misconception.

I meant an alignment in which all four wheels are hooked up to the alignment machine, measurements are taken at all four wheels, etc. More expensive and much better than the old school two-wheel alignment. I don't know if anybody routinely does two-wheel alignments any more.

Yea i will take it to the shop tomorrow for a 4 wheel alignment.
i asked and there is some shop who do 2 wheel front alignment but i specifically asked for a 4 wheel. So will see how that goes, hopefully that fixes the issue if not like GCATX said i might have a bad tire.. smh! :mad:

I have the same tires on my 10 SCAB and had a alignment done after install. There's no shake and also had new rotors installed because that was causing shake under braking.

Thanks, i wanted to hear something like that since no one really has feedback on the Mickey Thompson tires.

You have at least one bad tire. Trust me. I spent 40 years in the service drive....
Hopefully not, after alignment will see.
Is there a way to find out if thats the case, which tire is bad since all 4 look new MINT CONDITION. According to seller he sold his truck and had no more than 5 days on these tires.

OP
OP
GEAngulo09

GEAngulo09

Reaction score
Here are 2 shots of the bottom.

So i measured the width of my spare (BF Goodrich, which i kept) and the new ones (Mickey Thompson) and there's a .5 inch difference and according to Mickey Thompson website when you intall wider tires its recommended to do an alignment. *Fingers crossed*

20200911_162441.jpg

20200911_162433.jpg