alcoolaid's 2017 Raptor - Weekend Warrior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
alcoolaid

alcoolaid

Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, why'd you decide to go with the Ultragroove bed cover with the KB Voodoo rack? It's my understanding that the main benefit to getting one the retractable bed covers with the tracks (IE Ultragroove or Retrax Pro XR) is that it allows you to use racks that slide into the tracks. But you seem to have bypassed this entirely by going with the KB Voodoo rack with the brackets that go under the bed cover. Just trying to understand why.
Short answer is basically strength. I don’t think the bed covers on the market right now can handle the dynamic loads of someone really pushing the truck like me. I was getting some air time in Moab and recently in Oregon on some sand dunes. The rack with the tent and everything else on it held up great. If I had say some Yakima hd racks mounted to the bed cover, I’m sure it would have ripped off.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it would be fine for light trails and on road use but if you’re putting the truck through it’s paces, I don’t think there’s anything else out there as strong as the max modular rack and still allowing you to keep the tonneau cover. The brackets are beefy.

Eubster

Reaction score
That's awesome. I actually looked at the KB Voodoo at first and I really like it. The major holdup for me is that their "short" rack is 10" tall + 2.5" for the tonneau bracket. I think that would cause clearance issues for me (with a tent installed) to fit in my garage. So I think I'm going to end up with a front runner slimline or something else low profile. I don't expect to be jumping mine with the tent installed (kudos btw), so I think it should be strong enough for my purposes. One more question. Did you do any cross shopping when it came to picking out your tonneau cover? I think I'm currently narrowed down to the Pace Edwards Ultragroove and the Retrax Pro XR (for the aforementioned tracks). Just curious if you checked out the Retrax and what made you decide on the PE.

OP
OP
alcoolaid

alcoolaid

Reaction score
That's awesome. I actually looked at the KB Voodoo at first and I really like it. The major holdup for me is that their "short" rack is 10" tall + 2.5" for the tonneau bracket. I think that would cause clearance issues for me (with a tent installed) to fit in my garage. So I think I'm going to end up with a front runner slimline or something else low profile. I don't expect to be jumping mine with the tent installed (kudos btw), so I think it should be strong enough for my purposes. One more question. Did you do any cross shopping when it came to picking out your tonneau cover? I think I'm currently narrowed down to the Pace Edwards Ultragroove and the Retrax Pro XR (for the aforementioned tracks). Just curious if you checked out the Retrax and what made you decide on the PE.

I was making the same decision as you a while ago. Chose the PE because I read some people were having issues with the cover and durability on the retrax units. The PE cover is vinyl bonded to aluminum slats. Also the canister is a bit smaller. Main selling point was that Pace Edwards is owned by Leer who has been around for a very long time. I’m very happy with mine and 2 of my buddies who saw mine shortly got one as well.

There are a bunch of people with the retrax and I know their warranty is great. If you have any issues they just send you a new one. I say go with whichever one you can get a better deal on?

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job on showing us your install...this is appreciated.

On the dual battery - I installed a dual battery system in my 2018 Raptor. I was able to fit the isolator (Hell Roaring brand - solid state unit out of Polson, Montana) in the space on the pass side firewall above the fuse box. I used nutserts at three of the four corners...couldn't fit one in the upper left. I zip tied a circuit breaker to one of the vertical wire bundles that you show in the engine bay pic.

This has worked well for me...and I drive on poor roads daily for six months a year.

If you can fit your isolator there, it'll be out of the way and pretty much clear of any splashes. I have another of these in my 93 F250 - been working really well for years now.

I originally put the fridge and battery in the back seat, tired of that and now have them installed in the bed using Mac's tracks, ARB fridge slider, and aluminum angle to make a battery bracket. I went to an ARB Elements fridge when I put it in the back.

I'll send some pictures when I get back to my Raptor at the end of the week.

Great idea on the isolator or a DCDC. I might mount mine right on my battery. Am thinking about it.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am doing a fraction of your build across the pond in Victoria, BC.

I need to tackle the electrical next. I went with Retrax and Overhaul HD, but if I was going to do it again, would probably go with your system.

I haven't had any issues, but didn't see the fine print that said the adapter brackets between rack and Retrax Pro sewer the offroad capacity of the rack from 300 to 180 lbs. Still 500 on road, but still.

ytGPU8pwroWXWWQNdAiiHm58EERbAs3PL9aSKTDjfZsbZv2oPfQ8vfNQn4h3ObBLPoQR0IqLG7iKho6qaJQfCnel_8MMJxfoGpnVUA-NOU9RRFcQ2CgkQ7gbyAkvjk5HvbslRrccLdGzShfOjOVGrEnCB5AoLA5FqSeihYMdlwoUd5fTzX9RsInnyqtv5V-RaVXZiXDPGjAq9TRJiKU6JVpgjc73r_HLJOnWdpOEbNVnE7aki_f9gxiHVVRFTIHtU9P2aTjK_AvCSiMCatCb5HVUDSYY0XoQfxARPwoilECuU29ti5PhjaZy9Vq26h9S4eI3g22bUmFFLqP8AbCIE4s8tZIWxsAQiCTkAwiczMcx75ESGEHPF3eMg3mMiNUM3YqeymqGTN_erIwWuk_IzDjIZMv6-4567SDf7T4sQxB02wlQcLjAW-2jMZ5StSLl7IX1gru2imc07wR8n0fDHknDQ1_q4EmTa4_9gsYmqlKHc79qDiFG1b70-y3l-E4KhuYtfbMlrnH1hA_iFJe1S8-nO1w04CsiMlK4SsF6BU_xAMc9bX3DMcv_8RE6FM9OoLrazgr2zcmd8L77tOW5vuOr9FQqFgysIAw5k2ElGYVVM-XkH9B5u1x-xv_8cXPt79iUKG-_xnUXG5XbDi77vCu3TVgwuqhju9C_N93VvsynMkMIayGWT-8=w1291-h969-no

20200214_124056.jpg

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bracket for Blue Sea ML-ACR and 150A breaker. I just drilled 4 holes through the bracket and battery box and used 1/4" hardware to secure it. Solid enough for what its doing.

slod1h0.jpg

Everything bolted on

bUhkWbH.jpg

All wired up. Also pictured is @SDHQ Switch Pros SP-9100 mount.

vgtLwGb.jpg

Gonna test out this 30" rear chase light bar from amazon. $90! Tent blocks the 3rd brake light so I thought this would help visibility.

2tDutHO.jpg

Modifying the battery box

XU78HrB.jpg

Installed with ML-ACR remote switch

5ECd5rj.jpg

Slowly buttoning everything up over time. Won't finalize the wiring for the SP9100 outputs until I get my S1 reverse light kit and a-pillar mount lights in.

LsArq9h.jpg

Change in topic, made a mount for my waterport

3bGlvdJ.jpg

It flexed the side rails when full of water so I came up with a cheap solution that works better that I could have imagined lol

EwOrUMf.jpg

Feeling overland as f**k!

gbEVrKR.jpg

DHisEWk.jpg

11lb propane tank mounted with quick fist XL

RiuKyOx.jpg

Axe and poop shovel mounted. Waiting on 3" quick fists for fire extinguisher

4IJ0ZRz.jpg

Did you just bring your +ve into the battery location and ground it behind the seat?

RexDad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am doing a fraction of your build across the pond in Victoria, BC.

I need to tackle the electrical next. I went with Retrax and Overhaul HD, but if I was going to do it again, would probably go with your system.

I haven't had any issues, but didn't see the fine print that said the adapter brackets between rack and Retrax Pro sewer the offroad capacity of the rack from 300 to 180 lbs. Still 500 on road, but still.

ytGPU8pwroWXWWQNdAiiHm58EERbAs3PL9aSKTDjfZsbZv2oPfQ8vfNQn4h3ObBLPoQR0IqLG7iKho6qaJQfCnel_8MMJxfoGpnVUA-NOU9RRFcQ2CgkQ7gbyAkvjk5HvbslRrccLdGzShfOjOVGrEnCB5AoLA5FqSeihYMdlwoUd5fTzX9RsInnyqtv5V-RaVXZiXDPGjAq9TRJiKU6JVpgjc73r_HLJOnWdpOEbNVnE7aki_f9gxiHVVRFTIHtU9P2aTjK_AvCSiMCatCb5HVUDSYY0XoQfxARPwoilECuU29ti5PhjaZy9Vq26h9S4eI3g22bUmFFLqP8AbCIE4s8tZIWxsAQiCTkAwiczMcx75ESGEHPF3eMg3mMiNUM3YqeymqGTN_erIwWuk_IzDjIZMv6-4567SDf7T4sQxB02wlQcLjAW-2jMZ5StSLl7IX1gru2imc07wR8n0fDHknDQ1_q4EmTa4_9gsYmqlKHc79qDiFG1b70-y3l-E4KhuYtfbMlrnH1hA_iFJe1S8-nO1w04CsiMlK4SsF6BU_xAMc9bX3DMcv_8RE6FM9OoLrazgr2zcmd8L77tOW5vuOr9FQqFgysIAw5k2ElGYVVM-XkH9B5u1x-xv_8cXPt79iUKG-_xnUXG5XbDi77vCu3TVgwuqhju9C_N93VvsynMkMIayGWT-8=w1291-h969-no

View attachment 139296
So the Yakima Tonneau Kit is what lessens the off-road rating?

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the Yakima Tonneau Kit is what lessens the off-road rating?

Yes. Yak overhaul on their own are 500 on road and 300 offroad. Tonneau kit (in super fine print) tanks the offroad capacity to 180 lbs.

Since I am running a tent, it braces the crossbars. I am thinking that is a more solid system than a looser load on the bars.

Also, the rap suspension is plushier. Compare that to a power wagon or something that rattles fillings out, I am thinking that accounts for less vibration and jarring forces. Side to side is probably a bit less too. So I am going to run at or just above the 180 lbs and keep an eye on it. My chainsaw math says if it is 500/300, then the adapter plate at 180 probably has a big buffer/ factor of safety built into that number. Hard to say.

RexDad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Yak overhaul on their own are 500 on road and 300 offroad. Tonneau kit (in super fine print) tanks the offroad capacity to 180 lbs.

Since I am running a tent, it braces the crossbars. I am thinking that is a more solid system than a looser load on the bars.

Also, the rap suspension is plushier. Compare that to a power wagon or something that rattles fillings out, I am thinking that accounts for less vibration and jarring forces. Side to side is probably a bit less too. So I am going to run at or just above the 180 lbs and keep an eye on it. My chainsaw math says if it is 500/300, then the adapter plate at 180 probably has a big buffer/ factor of safety built into that number. Hard to say.
I am going with the same type build and was about to pull the trigger on the Yakima Overhaul HD. Did you go with the optional side rails? I am wondering if this will add extra support and allow you to add more weight.