alcoolaid's 2017 Raptor - Weekend Warrior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going with the same type build and was about to pull the trigger on the Yakima Overhaul HD. Did you go with the optional side rails? I am wondering if this will add extra support and allow you to add more weight.

I'm holding off on the side rails. I have both XL and L crossbars. For my trip to Rap Assault next week, I am camping on my way down and back and going with the L rails, tent and no basket or awning. Travel fast and 'light'. The XL bars allow me to add the annex to the bottom of the tent and have it hang straight(ish) down because of the rear fender flares and a room on the ARB awning and same thing. The L bars don't reach out far enough to do that. Plus I want room on the bars for my kayak sometimes. I digress.

I am holding off on the side rails for now. As you say, more weight but in terms of more stability, I don't think they would add much over having the tent on there. Maybe a bit, but more dead weight. Plus I grab stuff in the bed all the time, so am a little cool on the side rail idea. I haven't ruled them out.

RexDad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm holding off on the side rails. I have both XL and L crossbars. For my trip to Rap Assault next week, I am camping on my way down and back and going with the L rails, tent and no basket or awning. Travel fast and 'light'. The XL bars allow me to add the annex to the bottom of the tent and have it hang straight(ish) down because of the rear fender flares and a room on the ARB awning and same thing. The L bars don't reach out far enough to do that. Plus I want room on the bars for my kayak sometimes. I digress.

I am holding off on the side rails for now. As you say, more weight but in terms of more stability, I don't think they would add much over having the tent on there. Maybe a bit, but more dead weight. Plus I grab stuff in the bed all the time, so am a little cool on the side rail idea. I haven't ruled them out.
Keep the updates coming. I’m now pausing on pulling the trigger on the Overhaul HD.

OP
OP
alcoolaid

alcoolaid

Reaction score
Am doing a fraction of your build across the pond in Victoria, BC.

I need to tackle the electrical next. I went with Retrax and Overhaul HD, but if I was going to do it again, would probably go with your system.

I haven't had any issues, but didn't see the fine print that said the adapter brackets between rack and Retrax Pro sewer the offroad capacity of the rack from 300 to 180 lbs. Still 500 on road, but still.

ytGPU8pwroWXWWQNdAiiHm58EERbAs3PL9aSKTDjfZsbZv2oPfQ8vfNQn4h3ObBLPoQR0IqLG7iKho6qaJQfCnel_8MMJxfoGpnVUA-NOU9RRFcQ2CgkQ7gbyAkvjk5HvbslRrccLdGzShfOjOVGrEnCB5AoLA5FqSeihYMdlwoUd5fTzX9RsInnyqtv5V-RaVXZiXDPGjAq9TRJiKU6JVpgjc73r_HLJOnWdpOEbNVnE7aki_f9gxiHVVRFTIHtU9P2aTjK_AvCSiMCatCb5HVUDSYY0XoQfxARPwoilECuU29ti5PhjaZy9Vq26h9S4eI3g22bUmFFLqP8AbCIE4s8tZIWxsAQiCTkAwiczMcx75ESGEHPF3eMg3mMiNUM3YqeymqGTN_erIwWuk_IzDjIZMv6-4567SDf7T4sQxB02wlQcLjAW-2jMZ5StSLl7IX1gru2imc07wR8n0fDHknDQ1_q4EmTa4_9gsYmqlKHc79qDiFG1b70-y3l-E4KhuYtfbMlrnH1hA_iFJe1S8-nO1w04CsiMlK4SsF6BU_xAMc9bX3DMcv_8RE6FM9OoLrazgr2zcmd8L77tOW5vuOr9FQqFgysIAw5k2ElGYVVM-XkH9B5u1x-xv_8cXPt79iUKG-_xnUXG5XbDi77vCu3TVgwuqhju9C_N93VvsynMkMIayGWT-8=w1291-h969-no

View attachment 139296
Pretty good looking build! I need to add an awning to my rack soon.

I’m pretty sure you’ll get a good feeling as to how the Yakima overhaul will hold up on rough terrain after a few minutes. If not a lot of movement then you’ll probably be good. If you want to go fast with peace of mind and not having to think about your camping gear flying off then I’m sure you could sell the overhaul stuff and get a max modular :)

I leave my tent and everything on the rack. When I’m back from my trips I loosen 4 bolts and everything lifts off in one piece with my harken hoister mounted to the roof of my garage.

Did you just bring your +ve into the battery location and ground it behind the seat?
That is correct. Only needed to run power wire to the back.

I mounted my battery in the cab but I’ve seen people mount it in the bed in the front corner and some people get a frame mounted battery bracket.

OP
OP
alcoolaid

alcoolaid

Reaction score

I know you mentioned the crossbars and tent bracing the overhaul hd for more stability, which is for sure, but if you add the side rails, I feel you should gain a lot more stability in terms of front to back movement. Basically you’re going to be boxing the side rails, overhaul hd vertical, and tent horizontal.

If you hit the brakes really hard there’s probably going to be more bending stress on the tonneau cover brackets vs more of a shear load with the side rails installed. Just my thoughts imagining the physics in my head.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty good looking build! I need to add an awning to my rack soon.

I’m pretty sure you’ll get a good feeling as to how the Yakima overhaul will hold up on rough terrain after a few minutes. If not a lot of movement then you’ll probably be good. If you want to go fast with peace of mind and not having to think about your camping gear flying off then I’m sure you could sell the overhaul stuff and get a max modular :)

I leave my tent and everything on the rack. When I’m back from my trips I loosen 4 bolts and everything lifts off in one piece with my harken hoister mounted to the roof of my garage.

That is correct. Only needed to run power wire to the back.

I mounted my battery in the cab but I’ve seen people mount it in the bed in the front corner and some people get a frame mounted battery bracket.

Thanks for the info. So far the tent has been rock solid on there. But am keeping my eye on it.

Am taking a page from your book and going to run an Anderson connection to the main battery for air compressor so I don't need to mess with clipping it on the battery each time, one in the cab for battery/power and one in the bed for same. This should give me flexibility depending on how many souls on board.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you mentioned the crossbars and tent bracing the overhaul hd for more stability, which is for sure, but if you add the side rails, I feel you should gain a lot more stability in terms of front to back movement. Basically you’re going to be boxing the side rails, overhaul hd vertical, and tent horizontal.

If you hit the brakes really hard there’s probably going to be more bending stress on the tonneau cover brackets vs more of a shear load with the side rails installed. Just my thoughts imagining the physics in my head.

I think you're right on this.

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far so good. Only gripe is that on full droop, the leaf spring will contact the exhaust. I have eibach springs up front and the leaf pack on option 2. With 500lb of gear in the back, the rear is 0.5” higher than the front. Perfect height!

Ride is more comfortable than stock imo and no noises as of yet. They are still pretty new but I put them through their paces in Moab the last 2 weeks and no issues. I’ll post pictures later but I flexed the rear axle so hard the tire ripped a piece of metal out of my inner fender.

Are you running them in the +500 setup? Or +850?