Advice on some common 21' issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 22 raptor, I had to have all four shocks replaced ( waited 6 months) rear window vibrates when open, door speakers vibrate, twin panel roof rattles, transmission is supper jerky, and over all fit and finish is sub par for an 83k dollar truck. Truck was starting to have a rough idle on certain start ups and a hissing noise heard inside / outside under a load.
Super sad when you have a fully loaded raptor, even with the Recaro seats,(which are amazing)that the truck had so many issues. Long-term I don’t think this is a truck that will last . Went back to an HD. Good Luck.
I feel like moving from a raptor to another ford product isn’t going to change fit and finish wise. I can’t see the door cards, interior and materials being any different. Unless you went to another brand.

Jpro39

Reaction score
Were the shocks part of recall? I keep seeing people saying they had to have their shocks replaced you’d think it would be.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were the shocks part of recall? I keep seeing people saying they had to have their shocks replaced you’d think it would be.
Yes technically it’s a recall but not. Recall is a word specifically for a safety fix. Ford has it as an SSM. The issue is a majority of dealerships in USA are less than helpful with acknowledging the noise and taking care of the customer. It should have been a full blown “replace them all” but instead it’s left up to interpretation by a technician and whether he does or doesn’t want to help you. Between two dealership I had 85 miles put on my truck thanks to these certified techs who couldn’t hear the noise.

I’ve literally had more helpful and courteous DMV staff than ford service advisors.

Last edited:

FloridaRaptor4me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 22 raptor, I had to have all four shocks replaced ( waited 6 months) rear window vibrates when open, door speakers vibrate, twin panel roof rattles, transmission is supper jerky, and over all fit and finish is sub par for an 83k dollar truck. Truck was starting to have a rough idle on certain start ups and a hissing noise heard inside / outside under a load.
Super sad when you have a fully loaded raptor, even with the Recaro seats,(which are amazing)that the truck had so many issues. Long-term I don’t think this is a truck that will last . Went back to an HD. Good Luck.
I have all these issues with my 22 also. Crazy this many problems. I also have my brake power booster leak and had to be replaced. Taking it in for my shocks soon.

FloridaRaptor4me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I wanted to get some advice on a couple of issues I’ve been encountering with my "new" 2021 Raptor. I’ve done my research through this forum (and other sites) and it looks like most of them have a solution, but I would like to hear from people that had some (if not all) of these issues on their Gen 3, an how they handled them with their respective dealership.

For context, I bought my Raptor from a dealership that’s 4.5 hours away, so I can’t get it serviced/looked at there. Instead I went to my local Ford dealership which is 10 mins away, however when I talked to one of the service managers (who wasn’t really helpful at all), they said they would need 7-10 business days before they even get to look at the truck (not to mention how long it would be to get parts/fix it), which I think it’s crazy.

Here's the list of the issues I currently have (for context, my Raptor has a build date of 08/21):

1. Power Onboard Fan issue: As some have mentioned, I have the "always-on" fan noise coming from the power onboard located under the rear seats, and it only shuts off if I manually turn off the Power Onboard when first hopping on the truck. I’ve read here and there that a reprogramming of the "DCACA module" would solve this. Has anyone had this solved by their dealership and noticed a difference afterwards? Want to make sure I reference the correct fix here (so that they don’t say it’s expected).

2. Rear window/passenger door rattle: When listening to music (and not too loud by any means), in certain songs/frequencies, there's a rattle that seems to be coming from the back of the cabin, and I believe it’s from the rear window. Did some research, and found this from a different forum (Rear Window Glass Sliding Panel Rattles When Open And Music Is Playing - B And O® Audio System). For me, it happens regardless if it’s open or closed. I’ve made sure that the jack and other stuff are correctly bolted back there, but I wanted to see if anyone has had this fixed by their dealership, and if it made any sort of difference.

I'm also having the passenger door rattle, and I found a thread in our forum talking about it. In my case, it sounds to be coming from the actual grill itself, but I don’t have the heart to rip the panel open to find out and potentially make the problem worse.

3. Clunking/Thumping Noise from suspension: Saved the worst one (and probably the most common one) for last. While riding at highway speeds, the truck drives amazing. But the moment I’m going at slow speeds or going over small bumps or regular speed bumps, I hear a clunking noise mostly coming from the rear. I’ve read as much as possible regarding the issue from this thread in our forum, but while I see some people getting their issues fixed promptly and having the parts to replace them, I’ve seen some where the dealership says it’s "normal". I know there’s SSM 50972 covering this, and I believe it applies to my truck since it was built in 08/21 (SSM mentions "built on or before 16-Jun-2022".

How do you guys consider I should handle these with the dealership? The truck is still under its original warranty, and I also have the PremiumCare extended warranty through Ford. I just want to make sure that if I do have to leave the truck for so long at the dealership, that they at least fix all the issues (since there seems to be a fix for all of them).

Also, if anyone has any recommendations of a good Ford Service in South Florida, I’m all ears. I’ve checked several around me and they all seem to be "backed up" in terms of taking a vehicle in and actually inspecting/fixing things. I don’t care about a loaner or having to wait for parts, I just don’t want them to have the truck parked in their backlot for weeks without anyone actually looking at the issues.

Thank you in advance for any help/feedback you can provide, and apologies in advance if I should have done something else differently! Second time posting here (and first time Ford owner), so still learning!
My subwoofer was loose under the seat. The bolt was too long and it was rattling. I used washes to make it tight. Maybe that would help you. My rear window rattles sometime but better if closed then barely crack it to take the rattle away. Plus my rear headliner rattles like it is broken.

OP
OP
Kronos2300

Kronos2300

Reaction score
My subwoofer was loose under the seat. The bolt was too long and it was rattling. I used washes to make it tight. Maybe that would help you. My rear window rattles sometime but better if closed then barely crack it to take the rattle away. Plus my rear headliner rattles like it is broken.
Thank you for that information! I checked the subwoofer on mine and it seems to be bolted very well, so I don’t think that’s the issue on mine; I also checked the jack that sits next to it, and that wasn’t it either.

There’s a specific song I can play at any volume that has the right frequency to get the rear and my passenger door to rattle like crazy. It’s not even a song with extremes amount of bass, but it’s the one where I can replicate it the most so that’s probably what I’ll play the dealership when showing them the issue.

I wonder if it would happen to ya'll as well. If you were to listen to Drake's Passionfruit (don't judge lol), say at volume 10, do you get a rattle?

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
I had what sounded like a Cricket near my back window, it would happen with any song that had bass. What is strange, after a few months it went away and I no longer hear it. It sounded like something rattling from vibration. But 16 months into ownership it has resolved itself. Like you, mine only occurred with certain songs, but it definitely had to do with the radio volume.

OP
OP
Kronos2300

Kronos2300

Reaction score
I had what sounded like a Cricket near my back window, it would happen with any song that had bass. What is strange, after a few months it went away and I no longer hear it. It sounded like something rattling from vibration. But 16 months into ownership it has resolved itself. Like you, mine only occurred with certain songs, but it definitely had to do with the radio volume.
Oh wow, that’s weird (but I’m glad that at least yours went away!). For me, it’s gotten to the point that if I know a song has certain bass to it, I just skip it before it even starts, or I’m just listening to music all the way down to not sound like an Altima rental lol

I know some people in this forum have resorted to Dynamat their doors (and some even their whole interior), but I don’t want to go to that extreme if the issue can be rectified by the dealership. We'll see soon what they say, but I did find that rear window rattle PDF I posted in my first message in this thread that should hopefully be the root cause (at least for the rear).

For the passenger door, if it’s not something loose in there, then I don’t know. But it rounds like it’s coming from the speaker grill itself.

Last edited: