Adding more hp safely and Conservatively

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southocplumber

Reaction score
What are some low horsepower gains you can get while not stressing the vehicle too much? Say in the 50hp range? Would like to be able to tow with it still, not super heavy , 5k max but still add a bit more pepper…. Guessing tunes are the obvious but do they have ones that are middle of the road that won’t shorten the lifespan of vehicle ? Thanks

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
What are some low horsepower gains you can get while not stressing the vehicle too much? Say in the 50hp range? Would like to be able to tow with it still, not super heavy , 5k max but still add a bit more pepper…. Guessing tunes are the obvious but do they have ones that are middle of the road that won’t shorten the lifespan of vehicle ? Thanks

Roush or ORA550 tunes are probably the most conservative tunes out. If I was going that route I’d do a decent stock location intercooler and a tune. If you’re going to off road at all, I’d hold off on the air intake some want you to get, I’m not a big fan of off roading with an open element or with some I’ve seen. Not all... just some.

n8doggnp

Reaction score
I have a DTE Powercontrol module I'm selling if you're interested. It's received high marks from other users, is customizable for power levels, and is the solution least detectable by a dealer because you can simply remove it for dealer visits. I'm only getting rid of it because I'm finally out of Ford factory warranty and will be going with a full Goosetune.

rbraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roush or ORA550 tunes are probably the most conservative tunes out. If I was going that route I’d do a decent stock location intercooler and a tune. If you’re going to off road at all, I’d hold off on the air intake some want you to get, I’m not a big fan of off roading with an open element or with some I’ve seen. Not all... just some.
I’ve been looking at the ORA550 tune. You recommend the stock location as opposed to front mount?
I also have Ford ESP for 6 more years or so. :-/

HighHP

Reaction score
The answer to your question depends on which engine you are discussing. The 6.2L in the Gen1 can safely increase HP by 50% or more, it is a strong engine. I have a Gen1 boosted 11-12 PSI rated at 700 HP (700/411= 70% increase in HP). I tow an 8000 lb trailer up 10 mile long 6% grades with no problem. Ford has already boosted the V6, I don't know how much more it can safely be boosted and still be reliable pulling heavy loads on long grades. i would not do it. Boosting a strong non-boosted motor good, boosting an already high boosted motor not good (for towing). Other than boosting, most simple bolt on HP and tunes truely offer no gain or minimal gain that is not noticeable.