Adding factory Lux. sub/amp to base system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpeedyV10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! New guy posting here and have an Ingot silver Scab on order without the Lux. package. The question that I have is:

With the base single CD system, could I buy a factory sub/amp combo (off of a forum or ebay or something) and just plug it in to the factory single CD stereo system?

I know that everybody would probably just recommend that I just have a complete aftermarket system installed, but just thinking if I could spend a couple hundred bucks on the factory sub/amp combo and just plug it in..... That would be ideal for my needs.

If that is the case, what wiring would need to be done to add this?

Thanks!

Matt

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This should be an easy install. I'm not sure if the wiring is there already, many times the factory wiring is the same throughout the entire line. If not you should be able to order that through Ford. I would pull the head unit out before buying anything just to get an idea. I would also look under the carpet were the sub would be located to see if the wiring is there.

As for the sub anything out of a 2009 thru 2012 F150 will fit. Here is one from a 2010 Raptor listed on Ebay.

Good luck! :peace:

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

I would check local junk yards for a totalled 09' thru 12' F150. You might be able to get everything you need for very little coin.

OP
OP
S

SpeedyV10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This should be an easy install. I'm not sure if the wiring is there already, many times the factory wiring is the same throughout the entire line. If not you should be able to order that through Ford. I would pull the head unit out before buying anything just to get an idea. I would also look under the carpet were the sub would be located to see if the wiring is there.

As for the sub anything out of a 2009 thru 2012 F150 will fit. Here is one from a 2010 Raptor listed on Ebay.

Good luck! :peace:

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

I would check local junk yards for a totalled 09' thru 12' F150. You might be able to get everything you need for very little coin.

Thanks Joker, I appreciate it! I will check to see if the wiring is there when i get the truck! Hopefully the base radio will be compatible with the sub!

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
From what I've heard, the stock sub/amp is garbage. You'd be better off going aftermarket with a good sub/amp combo that doesn't break the bank.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From what I've heard, the stock sub/amp is garbage. You'd be better off going aftermarket with a good sub/amp combo that doesn't break the bank.

Yes the stock is crap. If u really wanna stay cheap I'm sure there has to be something out there that u can find that will work. Buy used after market stuff off Craigslist more eBay.

Its not worth the work nevermind money to use the OEM crap. Keep an eye out for used stuff or a good sale on some new middle of the road amps and subs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

whisler151

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The stock sub is crap. If I were you I would look on craigslist for a used sub/amp if an aftermarket shop is out of the questions.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would suggest the MTX thunderforum. They fit in the stock location and have everything included you need. 367 bucks on sonic electronics website.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know that everybody would probably just recommend that I just have a complete aftermarket system installed, but just thinking if I could spend a couple hundred bucks on the factory sub/amp combo and just plug it in..... That would be ideal for my needs.

Thanks!

Matt

Looks like you called it right, Matt. In my opinion, the OEM sub/amp is ideal... compared to no sub at all. Also, before installing add polyfill to the sub box.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Maybe one of these guys that swapped out their factory sub will give you a deal on their old crappy sub? :shrug:

OP
OP
S

SpeedyV10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everybody! I will absolutely check to see if the stock wiring is in place and if I can just buy a factory sub and amp and slide it under the seat + plug it in, I will go that route.

However, if I have to tear out the seats to run wires, I'll probably just wire in a little amplifier, and put a little 10 incher under the pass rear seat.

Thanks again for making a newbie feel welcome!!!!!! I appreciate it, and will keep everybody posted when the truck comes in!!!!

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everybody! I will absolutely check to see if the stock wiring is in place and if I can just buy a factory sub and amp and slide it under the seat + plug it in, I will go that route.

However, if I have to tear out the seats to run wires, I'll probably just wire in a little amplifier, and put a little 10 incher under the pass rear seat.

Thanks again for making a newbie feel welcome!!!!!! I appreciate it, and will keep everybody posted when the truck comes in!!!!

You definitely won't need to "tear out seats to run wires." Running wires in a truck is relatively easy; you usually just remove the plastic kick panels on the doors and run your wires under there.