GEN 2 Add me to the list of cam phaser replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just prime the oiling system everytime i cold start the engine so it has a few pounds of oil pressure when the engine starts so the phasers have pressurized oil to them before startup. Not definitely sure if this will keep the cam phasers from going bad or not but my theory is it should help ans can’t hurt anything.Alot of people that have the phaser rattle on startup do this and it keeps it from making the rattle sound.

I do the same if she's sat for more than 24-36 hours. I've also disabled auto stop/start. I figure if the starter is robust enough to handle that then an extended crank time won't cause premature failure either. If it does, replacing the starter is significantly easier than cam phasers.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is only a point of interest to us, and probably doesn't matter much to you, but it would be very informative if your dealer was able to tell you whether
A) Your truck has the updated part that was supposedly integrated into the F-150 line in mid-2018, and the updated part failed
B) Your truck does not have the updated part

In essence, your truck is an anomaly in some way. Either it didn't get the updated part after the supposed date that they all got the updated part, or it has an updated part that failed (and therefore, how good is the updated part to anyone?)

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get it.

It's not an issue that breaks trucks down. It's an annoyance that is simply replaced with different parts.

It doesn't mean the truck is shit and it happens on a fraction of the F150's. Far less than it seems
on here.

techs have also repeatedly said that there is nothing preventative that can stop it. just a bad design.

sure looks like there is some super bad info going around this forum about what can be done to "prevent" this.

2019 scott

Reaction score
I don't get it.

It's not an issue that breaks trucks down. It's an annoyance that is simply replaced with different parts.

It doesn't mean the truck is shit and it happens on a fraction of the F150's. Far less than it seems
on here.

techs have also repeatedly said that there is nothing preventative that can stop it. just a bad design.

sure looks like there is some super bad info going around this forum about what can be done to "prevent" this.

What superbad info to prevent this from happening are you referring to?

dhiestan

Reaction score
That sucks! I had mine done about 3 mo ago. They pulled the cab to access. They replaced a head too because dealer snapped bolt off while removing the high pressure fuel pump...that's what I was told. Everything was covered under warranty otherwise it would have been approx $12K.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2018 is on its 3rd set of cam phasers at 40k miles. I am the second owner and just had mine done. Silky quiet after I had the recent set replaced.
Last week it started clicking again, but a bit different... seems to occur 5-10 seconds after startup and Is loud in driver side wheel well. I guess it’s probably the turbo actuator.
Funny part is I still love this truck. Highs are high and lows are low with this thing.