A Ford tech's take on "THE CLUNK" (THE ONE and ONLY CLUNK THREAD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottysspeedshop

A.D.D. VelociRaptor 600 Owner
Reaction score
I am going to change my driveshaft to a 2 piece unit like they used in the race Raptor,that should get rid of any clunk and fix the problem of the speed rated driveshaft.The guys at ADD are going to fab up a cross member for the carrier bering.I will have Ryan post some pics later.

Reaction score
Here are a few pics, and the truck it came off of is in the poster on the wall behind it. We will be changing a few things like Scotty said.

Attachments

• Scotty's Raptor 003.jpg
    Scotty's Raptor 003.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Scotty's Raptor 004.jpg
    Scotty's Raptor 004.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Scotty's Raptor 002.jpg
    Scotty's Raptor 002.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 98

hyperchicken

Reaction score
Slip Yoke Fix

I have an '03 Ranger and had similar problems. Took my driveshaft to a shop that repairs and build custom shafts, they installed a grease fitting colla over the neck of the driveshaft. I grease it everytime I change my oil and no mor "clunk" since then. Total cost for disassembly, reassembly, grease fitting and balnce check of drive shaft, $65.00, well worth it.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
The noise......:

Do you happen to a Service Bulliten number I can give the dealer so they will know what the heck I am asking them to do when I take it in for my first oil change and meet and greet with my service guy? I will only be doing this once, the taking it in for service since all the dealers around here suck as bad as Suzuki Motorcycle dealers. HAhahaaaaaaaa.
BDRAG

Truck Wolf

Banned
Reaction score
Just had mine serviced yesterday too, no more clunk. Nice and smooth.

I spoke too soon. Clunk returned on Sunday after about 125 miles. Unbelievable!

I'm probably going to start looking into Lemon Law procedures at this point.

Ford has been building trucks for how long and they can't figure out how to make a driveshaft operate smoothly and properly?

SCelebs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke too soon. Clunk returned on Sunday after about 125 miles. Unbelievable!

I'm probably going to start looking into Lemon Law procedures at this point.

Ford has been building trucks for how long and they can't figure out how to make a driveshaft operate smoothly and properly?

Dang really? That's not good. I knew it was a temporary fix but sure hoped it was going to last longer than that!

Jeff