A Ford tech's take on "THE CLUNK" (THE ONE and ONLY CLUNK THREAD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Its good to know that its common. Mine wheelhopped badly when I had it up in the snow last weekend. The clunk showed up shortly after. I'd bet that the rapid up and down movement of the suspension, combined with the cold and wet, tends to speed up the degradation/displacement of the grease on the slip yoke. My truck will even wheelhop on wet pavement. Its pretty bad. Does anyone else's truck do that?

OHHH yeah, when my tires get spinning on some slushy or wet pavement it's always followed by that violent shudder known as wheel hop lol. i've never had any clunking issues except for the 2-1 downshift "slam" on a quick deceleration.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way to go SOCO! Nice write up and a very detailed explanation. As you stated, not everyone has the concern. My 10' 5.4L has 29K on it now and I have not had the concern. I do however, experience the shock bypass clunk/knocking noise when the temps are low and they have been low........18 degrees below zero last week! BRRRRRR!! Again, nice job and thanks for your input.

FSM

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Way to go SOCO! Nice write up and a very detailed explanation. As you stated, not everyone has the concern. My 10' 5.4L has 29K on it now and I have not had the concern. I do however, experience the shock bypass clunk/knocking noise when the temps are low and they have been low........18 degrees below zero last week! BRRRRRR!! Again, nice job and thanks for your input.

FSM

nice to see you're alive FSM and yes! we have had some sub zero temps and i have heard some thuds from the undercarriage over speed bumps/frost heaves from the Shox as well.

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
OHHH yeah, when my tires get spinning on some slushy or wet pavement it's always followed by that violent shudder known as wheel hop lol. i've never had any clunking issues except for the 2-1 downshift "slam" on a quick deceleration.

I don't have the tranny downshift slam but the wheelhop is a bit annoying. I wonder if anyone is going to develop something to counter it, besides going to Deavers. I'm picturing some kind of trick traction bar or link setup that didn't limit articulation and wheel travel.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I don't have the tranny downshift slam but the wheelhop is a bit annoying. I wonder if anyone is going to develop something to counter it, besides going to Deavers. I'm picturing some kind of trick traction bar or link setup that didn't limit articulation and wheel travel.

you shouldn't be spinning your wheels anyway :D. embrace the wheel hop

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2004 FX4 had a rear end noise comming from the REAR END at around 5000 miles. It was the whine of the gears. Let it go and it finally got bad enough to need work at around 25,000 miles. Dealer did the repairs, all ne clutches, bearings, seals, the whole nine yards. It was great for about 3 weeks then started the clutch chatter when ya turned and the rear would almost bind up like a locker when turning in a full lock turn.

This went on for a week or so and back to the shop. Trash everywhere in the rear end again. Same deal again, new everything and the set up on the rear end was looser this time in the gears. No whine but the CLUNK was now present. I think most of it is back lash. The truck developed the windup sensation that my 94 Ranger had also developed in its day. Had the Drive shaft lubed as discribed in the tread and its better for 20K or so. It would come back. Lube and its better.

BDRAG

BDRAG, not to be critical, but you stated the "whine" was from the gears, which is very typical of a poor contact pattern of a gearset. You then stated that the dealer replaced the clutches, bearings, and seals. Did they replace the gearset? And if so, if the CLUNK is backlash then the backlash was EXTREMELY excessive. Backlash set within normal specs of .008" to .012" should never be felt. Just curious.

FSM

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
BDRAG, not to be critical, but you stated the "whine" was from the gears, which is very typical of a poor contact pattern of a gearset. You then stated that the dealer replaced the clutches, bearings, and seals. Did they replace the gearset? And if so, if the CLUNK is backlash then the backlash was EXTREMELY excessive. Backlash set within normal specs of .008" to .012" should never be felt. Just curious.

FSM

I am sure a lot was exsessive back lash but it NEVER whined again. HAhaaaaaa. I was tired of messing with it. I had stopped hammering the truck as much s I use to and just learned to NOT SLAM the gas peddle violently to the matt unless absolutly nessasry. HAhaaaaaa. I do not have a good dealer service area around here. Use to know a shop forman who I followed from dealer to dealer for repairs but he retired due to health issues and lost a connection to GREAT SERVICE.

BDRAG

OP
OP
SOCOMech

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score

FSM

Thanks FSM!

I was gonna say the same for BDRAG's issue. The whining of the ring and pinion and chattering of clutch packs, as FSM could tell you, were another super common issue....and tsb's.

Oh and to address Silverbolt's question about installing a zerk fitting, the grease is mainly applied inside the shaft of the driveshaft, so a zerk fitted to the transfer case housing wouldn't really get the grease to where it needs to go.

Last edited: